PDA

View Full Version : What bait do you use in the Rio Vista Area?

dpsa98
01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Just curious about what bait you use in the Rio Vista area. I'm pretty excited about the 2 rod stamp this year because now I can bait up one of my rods with bait that only the sturgeon will like. I get kind of tired of using the ghost shrimp and having only schoolie stripers eat it. What bait would be decent for sturgeon in the Rio Vista area. I know they say that Roe works better around the Susuin area but what about baits like Eel and grass shrimp? Will stripers pick at either of them?

Capt'n Kev
01-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Digger,

May I suggest you work with several baits, especially in the Rio Vista area. Being you are further up in the system, I would think all three baits would work well....shrimp, eel, and roe.

With water temps as they are, scents has proven vital over the last month or so. The scent we use is a combination and has worked well for us.

Personally, I always prefer roe as a base, then tie on the shrimp, eel, or herring to the roe....thats just my preference. What we ad to the roe depends on the current conditions, water salinity, and so on.

With the roe, striper bites are our best friend....getting more scent in the water. It can stand up much better to those pesky little things, and you dont have to be changing your set ups every time you get a hit from a striper.

dpsa98
01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
When your using multiple baits do you just shove them all onto one hook or do you use the 2 split hook setup that they sell in the stores as sturgeon leaders? I may have to give it a try sometime next week and see what happens.

gotem_hooked
01-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I USE A 5/0 DOUBLE HOOK WIRE STURGEON LEADER WITH A COUPLE SPLIT SHOTS BY THE HOOK TO KEEP THE BAIT ON THE BOTTEM............ [smiley=baghead.gif] ........GOTEM HOOKED

Capt'n Kev
01-05-2008, 02:28 PM
single hook, no bait on the hook, everything is tied on.

striper_assasin
01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
2 hook set ups are fine, personaly it seems like 1 hook is better and really all you need.
ghost, i will slide it up the hook and line tail first and coming out the head.
pile, run the line through the whole body head 1st.(slide pile all the way up above the shank on hook and then add the ghost ;) )
eel, cut into pile worm size pieces and slide it up on the hook just like it was a pile worm.
leaders... 80 pound fireline is my favorite, or steel wire (preferable made yourself...kinda scary using one someone else crimped), or 100 pound mono.