PDA

View Full Version : Worst Day Sturgeon Fishing Ever turns out ok(pics)

tkdvellone
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Well, here's the story. I was out fishing the fleet with a friend of mine yesterday who don't fish. I set his pole up then mine. We were using grass shrimp. After about 20 min. of waiting bam fish on, the sturgeon just took my bait and ran. I fight the fish for about 15 minutes and when its next to the boat all played out I tell my friend to get the snare ( I forget to get my net left it at home) He said he never used one before so I told him how. As he was going over my rod and to the fish the fish moves a little and he closes the snare on my line and it snaps. All I could do is watch my fish swim away. I rebait and set my pole. About 10 min later another fish, this time when I get it to the boat I give my friend the rod and go to get the snare when I get there all I see is a birds nest on my reel, I look in the water and no fish. I asked him what happend and he ssaid he accidently hit this little switch ( for free spool ). Im now pissed. 2 fish lost in a matter of an hour and both looked to be legal. So I bait up again and ask him how and he said he didn't know what that lever was for and touched it and moved it up. All he knows how to use are Spinning reels. He then hooks a nice fish. I tell him his drag is to tight so I stupidly said to lossen it a little guess what, he tightened it insted, all you heard was snap and the fish was gone. We didnt get any more bites or take downs for about 4 hours. When we were about to go I get a small nibble and set the hook for all I was worth. I fight the fish for about 5 min it came straight to the boat so I thought I was a dink, but behold, it was the fish I had caught earlier with my leader in its mouth. I told my friend to just reach over and grab the fish by its mouth he says no way theres hook in there, so I open the diving door on the back of my boat and hold the pole with one hand and grab it with the other. I throw my pole in the boat and bring the 64 inch sturgie in my boat. I felt somewhat better after landing that fish.

I also went out today with 4 friends who know how to fish and caught 6 legal sturgies and released 3 kept 3. They were caught at the fleet with grass shrimp. I will have pics of these fish up either later tonight or tommorow. I didnt get any pics of my fish from yesterday I had too much on my mind.

here is a pic from the 3 that I kept yesterday
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2671/sturgie2as9.jpg

STURGEONSTOMPER
12-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Hella way to teach somebody to sturgeon fish ;D ;D

Pics please ;)

vito
12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
That is one crazy story! Glad you got your leader back ;D

wood2turn
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I WANNA FISH WITH YOU!!!!!! :D WOW!! :o What a story! I definitely live in the wrong place!! :'( :'(

How much is a non-res. license again?????????????????? :-/
Can I bring my toys???? :-?

Terry B.

Afishinado
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey tee707. do you have a picture of what your friend looks like I think I might know him . is this him-> [smiley=bananadevil.gif]anyways glad you got your fish back.<((((><

dirtdogg63
12-15-2007, 07:34 PM
tee you are a better man than i. he would have been thrown overboard :o tim

tkdvellone
12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah it took alot for me not to throw him overboard. If one more thing went wrong I would have lost it.

Quad_Hooks
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Well at least you ended up with a nice keeper after all that.
That's pretty cool, you got the same fish again. I hope your buddy at least cleaned it for you!

kromebrite
12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Just goes to show how they are not hook shy. Went right back down and started eating again.

fishhook60
12-17-2007, 08:43 AM
cool you got one in the boat been a long time since i have had a sturgie on fishin is great fun to me and i have taken a few rookies out and enjoyed my time with them never got to up set when they made a mistake its all a learning process hope your frusteration didnt show to your buddy he may never wanna fish again but then i guess that will give me a better chance with one less fisher man

timetofish
12-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Awesome way to rebound. Of course the weekend I go up to Pittsburgh all the active feeders we're down at the Fleet!! ::) :P

jdecker
12-17-2007, 07:31 PM
He got his keeper and old leader back, but most of all, one heck of a story!

Newty
12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I've got to hand it to ya tee707, you've got way more patience than I. I would have made him walk the plank [smiley=pirate.gif]Good job bringing some fish home after all the crazyness. Getting the hook back puts the icing on the cake for your story though ;D.

B-RAN
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM
man that would piss me off >:( but hey people make mistakes and they learn from them so maybe next time you guys will be ready to knock them dead ;)

tkdvellone
12-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah he was bad out there but you should have seen him during the salmon run at the north farrallons we could have had limits in less than an hour. He does really good with rock cod though but who doesnt.

fbanaria
12-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah he was bad out there but you should have seen him during the salmon run at the north farrallons we could have had limits in less than an hour. He does really good with rock cod though but who doesnt.

For whatever reason, people tend to catch more of certain types of fishes, no matter how more or less they fish for the various species. I don't know why. :-/

tkdvellone
12-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah but rockcod will bite on anything even a hook with no bait on it. Im gonna be stupid :-/ and take him out with me on wed, Ill have the big net and hopefully we can get his sturgeon report card filled out.