PDA

View Full Version : Clam beds

fshrmn
12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty new to sturgeon fishing so I was wondering how does one know or think they are over a clam bed? How does it look like on the sonar? What are some of your methods to determine if it is a clam bed. Thanks and happy fishing!

Luke
12-06-2007, 04:50 AM
If you find them on your anchor or bait you are on clams.
Luke

white_cap
12-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I have found a lot of the clam beds are gone around Suisun, and Grizzly bays . I believe the old mitten crab had a lot to do with that. Iím still looking to find a good bed.

chiselchest
12-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I have found a lot of the clam beds are gone around Suisun, and Grizzly bays . I believe the old mitten crab had a lot to do with that. Iím still looking to find a good bed.

Just a thought, but maybe the change in salinity due to extreme exports of water have changed conditions enough to do that? There are the Asian clams (real small), and the much larger fresh water clams found upriver (dig on any sandy beach and there's many). I understand the Asian clam is a invasive species, and has eaten much of the food that the native clams fed on it...

That's my understanding, FWIW.

white_cap
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
i know that grizzly bay ( my favorite place to fish for sturgeon ) use to be loaded with zebra clams, also from some other country brought in from the bilges of ships, the sturgeon loved them

like-a-sturgeon
12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
OK GUYS, HERES A STUPID QUESTION TIME.
IF THE STURGEONS LOVE THE CLAM SO MUCH, WHY DON'T WE USE CLAMS AS BAIT? :-/

white_cap
12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
They use them to digest there food, like a bird (chickens, turkeys ) uses sand or such things like that. Sturgeon have a gizzard ( at least I think thatís what it is ), and it seams like it always full of small clam shells

bigg_fishh
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I've cleaned several sturgeon from the suisun area every one has been full of clams.I believe clams are the main food source in the suisun area.But I have never used clams for anything but cats.

Luke
12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I've cleaned several sturgeon from the suisun area every one has been full of clams.I believe clams are the main food source in the suisun area.But I have never used clams for anything but cats.
I concur. :) Very well said.
Luke

NorCal_Bangers
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
i dont think clams are a food source...they are an aid to digistion in my opinion....

NCB

EastBayAngler
12-06-2007, 11:33 PM
I think its the gizzard digestion thing. They have a gizzard :-/ They have to eat something corse to grind up the food that goes down? I think they keep the giz full of clam shells to chew up the 6 dozen ghost shrimp we went threw the other day! ;D

Otherwise statistically speacking would'nt we have heard of at least one sturgeon caught on the catfish board? I mean my local bait shop goes threw 20-40# of clams a day! Ive never talked to someone that said "Man I was catfishing the Sac river and I caught a sturgeon intsead" :o

Just a rambling 0.02$ ,dont take it to the bank ;)

EBA

SPORTcoupe
12-07-2007, 09:21 AM
"Man I was catfishing the Sac river and I caught a sturgeon intsead"
I think it'd go more along the lines of: "I hooked into a monster catfish, and got spooled."

Many years ago, my dad and I were fishing San Pablo Reservoir. I was going for trout, and he was set up for carp (yes, he likes carp).
He hooked what he later described as a solid moving mass. His 50# braid snapped like it was a tippet. It wasn't until we found out that the lake's sturgeon record is 104 lbs that we figured out what we had hooked.
Reality is that if you're not equipped to reel in a sturgie, you have to at least be mentally prepared for a long fight. Accidentally hooking one while fishing for something else almost always ends the same way: you scratching your head wondering wtf happened, and then forgetting about it and moving on.

Cheers,
~Alan

fshrmn
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
The aide in digestion and gizzard is a good explaination why we don't use clams as bait for sturgeon. Makes sense to me. I'm sure some of us have tried using clams as bait, but it's probably just not as successful as the other known sturgeon baits. Maybe we should try leaving the shell on when fishing with clams for sturgeon. ;D

like-a-sturgeon
12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
FSHRMN,
IT MIGHT WORKS. YOU JUST DON'T KNOW

donzitroller
12-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Last year while fishing the SJ, my bro tried this big clam body from Bodega.. had a HUGE pulldown on it. May have been a dino may have been a catfish. Anyways, moral of the story is you'll never know if you don't try. With the 2 rod stamp coming into play I may be more inclined to stray outside the box with mystery baits.. maybe some of you will too. I mean, how long has roe been used on the delta for sturgeon? Somebody had to try it the first time right? Other anglers probably laughed until the fish started stacking up on the dock.. a new sturgeon bait is born.

EastBayAngler
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
OK 2 more cents ;D

If clams are under the surface of the mud and the sturgeon suck them out of the mud then maybe were not catching them because our clams are on the top of the mud? ::) hhmmm?

Shoot if you guys start nailing sturgeon on clams Im all in! ;D ;D ;D