PDA

View Full Version : Delta Sturgeon Reel

sportyguy33
09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys and Gals
Have any of you uses any of these reels for sturgeon fishing in the Sacramento River.

Daiwa Saltiga
Shimano Torium
Avet

I'm in the process of putting together a 7' composite Seeker Inshore Acid Wrapped Boat rod for the Dino's and was thinking of using one of those reels loaded with some 50 Lb Spectra line.

Thanks
Joe

2QUARTSLOW
09-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Welcome Sportyguy33. Lets see if I can help you out. Those are nice high dollar reals, and all will work well for the diamond backs. I like the choices you have. Example: I use the shimano Charter special lever drag. I have also used Penn Squider, and Shakespear Tidewater. I use 30# maxima line. Most of the sturgy hunters use 30 to 50 lb line, mono, braid, dacron, you get the drift.
Rod chioce is always a debate though. Last year went to a 7' rod I missed more because I was not use to it. However on my old faithful rod 9'6" custom Medium heavy Eagle Claw rated 15-40, I caught and landed 2. On the new rod only caught 4 shakers on it. Slow year for me. If I can find the right rod for me it would be a 8' to 8'6" medium heavy rated 15-50. ****If you look on the beginning pages of the sturgeon board you should be able to find, rod, reel, line, bait, fishing location, and other good data, about the delta.**** Give ya more info if ya need it.
2 quarts low with a boat load of fish

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Good deck hand...

Good eyes...

Great baiter...

....Doesent matter...

SS

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
ok let me 2nd that...

What is thought to be needed and what is real are 2

One...You dont need over grown reels...

Two...yea dont need big bait....
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

What you need is Patiants...LOTS....our fish are darn near gone....

Those reels IF? I recall are oversize.. Not needed in the Sacto sys....We have lil fish left.....

SS

P.S. I use 30lb for keepers and 80lb for over size here local,... :-/ SS

Mr_T
09-08-2004, 06:57 AM
SS and 2 quarts are right, the stuff you are looking at getting is more gun than you need, but so what? If you have the cash and want to get them, do it. I run a tidewater rod, hooked up with a shimano TR series reel, 30# big game, works fine. I think one issue to consider is the abuse most boat rods get heaped on them; make sure whatever you set up with, you aren't afraid of it getting knocked around a bit, cuz it will happen on a boat.

As an aside, that AVET reel is one SWWWWWEEEEETTTTTT piece of metal. They just came out with a 4 caliper model that will dial in @ 100 lbs. of drag. Yes sports fans 100 lbs.
Tuna time!

Diamondback70
09-08-2004, 11:02 AM
One of my favorite setups is a South Bend Trophy Tamer 7'9" rod with a Penn 320 GT2 loaded with 25# Berkeley Big Game...

2QUARTSLOW
09-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Like I said, sportyguy33, this is always a debated subject. But the census always is always the same.
Reel: 250 to 300 yards of 30 to 50 lb line
Rod: anywhere between 7' and 8'6", H to MH
But when I comes right down too it, it is whatever you are comfortable using.
Out of just few replies thus far you have recieved, more than probably 500 sturgeon keepers and shakers have been caught or keep and/or released.
Thats just a rough number, and another debated subject we will save for another day.
2 quarts low with a boat load of fish

on_fish
09-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Before you spend a S##T load of cash on your rig, check out how much bait is. Everytime I go bait is about 20 to 30 bucks. Hopefully, you can find a boatless fisherperson to pick up that tab. ( Check with YODA he has connections ) But! There is still gas and the biggest bill of all, BEER! You will spend countless hours on the water might as well bring a lot of that! Good luck, I hope you catch one of the dino's! ;D

Hogsbro
09-08-2004, 06:45 PM
I use a Penn 321 gti with 25 lb test(forgot wat brand line good quality though} *on a 7.5 ft tiger stick. *Landed a 200+ pounder last year with help from boat driver. *Second rod reel combo is Trophy Tamer rod with a Shimano Catala reel same line.

sportyguy33
09-08-2004, 08:14 PM
On Fish
I built a Shrimp pump so Ghost Shrimp if Free. I just have to labor for an Hour to get my limit of 50. I do have an Abu Garcia 7000 & a 6500 but wanted another reason to buy a new Reel I was thinking the drags on the three reels I mentioned would be more up to the task if I happened to hook into a Big one. Thanks for the Advice. BTW I'll be
moving to Sacramento permenantly in Nov just in time for
the sturgeon. My local hole will be some where Near the
Deep Water Channel in West Sacramento. If any of you guys are interested I'd like to Hook up one day and patiently wait in hope of catching a Sturgeon.

Mr_T
09-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Where do you pump for the shrimp?

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-10-2004, 06:31 AM
T you can do it at Lawsons landing when the tides are right.
Last year me and Tony were digging clams and found shrimp 4 feet under the sand..Pretty cool. But hardly worth the effort when they are only 6 bucks a dozzen yea know?

sportyguy33
09-10-2004, 12:44 PM
SS
You don't know the tricks. You build a pump for less then
10 bucks. If you know where to go you can get your limit of 50 within a hour. But you have too know where to go. And the ones you pump yourself are a lot bigger the the bait shop variety. But that said both types catch fish

Fish On
Joe

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I didnt mean anything bad by it...Id just rather be ripping lips then pumping shrimps...lol :D

onemore_pass
09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
SS
Next time I head over to Tomales Bay I'll give you a call.I'll show yopu how to get the shrimp.It is so easy even you could get into it ;D.You can pump your limit of bugs in no time.Plus have a good camp fire to boot. :D
Onemore_pass

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Yea let me know, might be fun.

Loves-to-Fish
09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
I catch em with a Calcutta 700, tuff line 50#, and a my
7' power stick!! ;) ;)
I use braided leader, sometimes doubled. 7/0 or 6/0 hook works for me. good luck!

LTF ;D

Mr_T
09-16-2004, 08:48 PM
T you can do it at Lawsons landing when the tides are right.
Last year me and Tony were digging clams and found shrimp 4 feet under the sand..Pretty cool. But hardly worth the effort when they are only 6 bucks a dozzen yea know?

Hey SS, sounds like you're buying this year? ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Ok Ill buy the bait, you get the gas beer and any maintance that has to be done on the boats...deal ;D

Fish-on
09-17-2004, 07:34 AM
What do you guys think about the penn International series for sturgies. I have a chance to pick one up for about $100 hold 300 yds of 30# line. Compared to some of the other reels listed how would you rate this one. Not real farmiliar with it or the drag and would like opinions positive and ngative. I mean for a 100 bucks to me it sounds like a smokin deal but then again never used one before

Hogsbro
09-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I've used the Penn 975 for dinos. *Its a great reel, hold lots of line and has strong drag.

Mr_T
09-17-2004, 08:23 AM
good reel, in fact if you don't buy it PM me and I'll take it!!

Hogsbro
09-17-2004, 07:21 PM
In fact how about one for everyone!!! ;D ;)

Fish-on
09-20-2004, 08:37 AM
I will do what I can but think this deal is one of a kind. We will see. Not going to pick it up for a week but I will ask!!!

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-06-2004, 06:16 PM
HLW113..holds 500+- yrds..
dragged many ashore with that one :-X

Fish-on
10-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Anyone have any input on Pro Gear reels specifically the 550?

Alan
10-12-2004, 08:02 AM
I fish a couple of Pro Gears. One of my fishing buddies is on the PG Promotional Staff. I have 2 454s. They are the Yellowtail Special. I fish 40 and 50 lb test on them. I wouldn't purchase another one, but only because I am going to 2-speeds on my 50 and up. They do cast well.

I like my reels, though they require a lot of maintenance, something about steel (screws) and aluminum (body) and salt water.

The stock drags in my reels, each lasted one fishing trip. Note: the fishing trip was 8 days long, fishing ~6 days in Mexican offshore waters, catching albacore to 40 lbs. Probably ~6 fish per stock drag set. My reels had smoothies, I think PG is using a different drag material now, maybe precision. After using up the stock drags, I have the switched to HT-100s.

I didn't know the 550 was out. My fishing buddy had a prototype with him on our July trip. He caught albacore to 40 lbs on it. Last year, he had the first tuna over 100 lbs caught on the model he was using.

The 550 is a nice reel, overkill for sturgeon, nice for our local albacore.

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but my first all purpose Nor Cal reel was a Newell 235. All purpose Nor Cal: striped bass, salmon, sturgeon, albacore, halibut. I fish 20 and 25 lb test on it. The Newell casts great, but my stock drags lasted only ~10-12 fish. In addition, the free spool shifter allows water into the reel, so maintenance is important to prevent the insides from rusting if using in salt or brackish water.

Koke_cooker
10-12-2004, 10:15 PM
I use a Shimono 800 reel with a 10 foot meat stick. The reel will hold 300 yards of 50# test line. People say thats to much,I say I can turn fish and land them. It really depends on where you fish and wheather it is from the bank or boat. I will confess I have never caught one from a boat but i do catch a few every year from the bank. I think there are alot of things to consider when putting together an outfit.Your surroundings are the biggest influence. The place where I fish if the dino gets a 125 yards he is free. Consider the power it takes to slow a monster down. Can you turn a fish if you need to? Or does he LAUGH AT YOU. Good Luck in your travels

sashimi_express
10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Looking at the Abu Garcia 7000 with lever drag any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Kapn_Krusty
10-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Hey SashimiX,

That looks like a nice reel for the medium/heavy tackle setup. But the line capacity is a little small (270/20). Other than that, I'm sure that it's a fine reel. You could load up some Power Pro to gain extra yardage, but it doesn't look like the 7000LD has a TiN coating on the line guide. ??? Therefore you'll start cutting into the guide and that would suck.
I love and have a lot of faith in Abu Garcias, but somehow they forgot to coat that bad boy.

Which 7000 do you currently have? I'm looking at the BG7000HSN for striper.

I think it's tuff to beat the Shimano Charter Special or TLDs for Sturgies.

KK

sashimi_express
10-17-2004, 02:49 PM
;D The only 7000 I have is the one I bought today at Fisherman's It is the 7000c4LD. All my other reel are Ambassadeur's as well. 5000, 5600c,6500c3. I use them for bass, salmon and striper. Now I will trty them for stugeon.I guess if that part wears out I can replace it pretty easy. Maybe it is interchangeable with other Ambassadeurs If so I will just swap it out. Thanks for the heads up. ;D

flatcom
12-04-2006, 04:38 AM
if anyone is interested i have a penn 975cs for sale. never used. pm me if your interesed.

GCinGV
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Iíve been using a Charter Special for some time now and I really like the reel but whatever you do Donít let the drag washers get wet. They have a dry drag system and if they get wet they buck like a Nevada Mustang. Iíve replaced the washers twice because of it. The first time I made the mistake of submerging the reel in water to clean it and the second time it happened it was on the rod, standing in the boat while making a run in a driving rainstorm.
Although Shimano doesnít recommend it and I havenít done it yet, I understand that greasing the washers solves the problem. Also Iíve heard that you donít want to release the tension on the drag when storing it because it allows the washers to soak up moisture.
GC

Luke
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
My favorite combo so far for fishing off my boat is the fenwick 870 or the fenwick 270 depending on the tide. I prefer the newell 338 graphite reels...

DaHoSturgeon
12-05-2006, 06:10 AM
The 550 is a nice reel, overkill for sturgeon, nice for our local albacore.

What kind of Sturgeon are out there in Kalifornia these days? Here in Idaho, we could probably use that albacore for a Sturgeon bait...

timetofish
12-05-2006, 03:20 PM
What kind of Sturgeon are out there in Kalifornia these days? Here in Idaho, we could probably use that albacore for a Sturgeon bait...

BIG ones.....as in 10 footers........don't think you guys only get to play with the big ones!!!

With the occasional 90+ inchers
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/7086/092306013rv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

;)

donzitroller
12-05-2006, 04:09 PM
My stuff gets banged around alot. Would I like a 975LD? YEP. Maybe someday.. I fish too hard now though. While I did buy a 320LD new, my boat reels are regular 320's. They stand up to lots of boat abuse. Perfect..

nhbfishin
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Ambassader 7000 reel is great I have one on a 40# seekr classic rod. Also a shimono tekota 500 on a 30# uglystick tiger. Run 65# braided powerpro on both. I think most bang for buck is the abugarcias ambassader and big game reels. Steven.

NorCal_Bangers
12-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Avet...mjx...6.3:1....its all i will need for ANY sturgeon or albies....or any fish i can think of catching here in n.cali...or wash or idaho

NCB

PS...that 14 footer by Rich was caught on the snake.....his personal best here in our waters is i believe a 10 footer...

STURIPER
12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
LIKE NCB SAID ALL YOU NEED....http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/joeysbonita/joeydaddy040.jpg AVET BABY!!!http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/joeysbonita/Picture134.jpghttp://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/joeysbonita/joeydaddy038.jpg

DaHoSturgeon
12-14-2006, 04:07 PM

BIG ones.....as in 10 footers........don't think you guys only get to play with the big ones!!!

With the occasional 90+ inchers
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/7086/092306013rv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

;)

O, just asking... ;)

Intimidator
12-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Oh yea that's what I'm talking about, I love my avets they have never let me down.
You can even sling just an anchovie with those bad boys and land a 100lb. Rooster fish with them.
Think i'll just move one over to my Tiger stick and there you go Sturgeon rig.
Thanks for saving me on that new rig i was going to buy.

delta_dominators
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
shrimp are cheep no need to go get them lots of fish on . by the time you get back to fishing

fishguts
11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Penn 209 on my boat when I was fishing for them. Reliable, indestructable and simple.