PDA

View Full Version : Skining a Sturgeon

striper_joe
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Need help.
Caught my first Sturgeon thursday. Hung it by a rope in my
garage and preceeded to skin it. Used vicegrips, pliers & etc.
Turn out to be a very diffucult job. Is there a easyer method
of doing it? Would appreciate any suggestions on a better way.

fish_first

Reel-Lentless
11-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Fillet it, Cut off the top row of diamonds from his top fin to his head, not to deep just enough to see meat. Run your knife down on both sides and you will have to nice fillets, then just lay it skin down and fillet off the skin. It takes about 5 to 10 min. to do it this way. You may buthcher your first but once you get a fill for it, it is real easy. Capt Bob

tkdvellone
11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
One of the first things you want to do is take the cord out of the sturgie. If you cut into the cord while cleaning it can leave a funny taste in the meat. To take out the cord all you do is cul around the tail use a sharp knife, cut into the area around the tail and then twist the tail and start to pull the cord out. Then cut off the top row of diamonds and from there fillet it. Thats how I do it. But you want to take out the cord or make sue you dont cut into it while cleaning. Also when you first catch your sturgie you should bleed it out. This gets rid of all the blood and make for great tasty meat. To do this cut the gills.

fernley_tim
11-16-2007, 10:36 PM
here is a great tutorial someone posted a couple of years ago
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/cleaning-sturgeon/

bassingus
11-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi all,
I am new to this type of fishing as well and I am learning so much from all of you. Skinning and cleaning a sturgeon is somthing I haven't has the luck to do yet. The link on preparing the fishi is great info.

I have another question, once you have a keeper in the boat do you bleed it out then and there and then ice it down or do you tie it to the boat and leave it in the water?

dimpala95
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
I am new to this type of fishing as well and I am learning so much from all of you. Skinning and cleaning a sturgeon is somthing I haven't has the luck to do yet. The link on preparing the fishi is great info.

I have another question, once you have a keeper in the boat do you bleed it out then and there and then ice it down or do you tie it to the boat and leave it in the water?

I tie mine off the side of the boat untill we're ready to head in. About 10 minutes before leaving, cut one of the gill rakers. The key to bleeding is not to cut all the rakers because massive loss of blood will stop the heart before it pumps itself dry.

white_cap
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I agree, bleed it, itís amazing how much blood those guys have in them, then fillet it. Cut off as much of the red meat as you can, cut it up into nice size peaces, hit it with some lemon butter, a little salt, through it on the bar-b-que, pig out!

Fish_Chris
11-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I've cleaned a few small, legal keepers in the past, and struggled with them for like 1 to 2 hours !

So with the last one I kept, a 52" last year, I just bled it first (strung it up by the tail, and cut its gills) and then made one cut behind the gills (being very careful not to cut the spinal cord) then one cut down the entire length, then a final cut to remove the skin from the fillet. I didn't even mess with the diamonds (scutes) or the spinal cord. Didn't have to.

Finished the whole job in about 10 minutes, and it was all over but the frying ;-)

Doubt if I'll keep one this year though. Great sportfish, but I'd rather eat Halibut and Salmon :-)

Peace,
Fish

angler
11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
an even easier way to do it is to see if someone will do it for you...the bait shop that i go to does it for free as long as they get half the fish...or they charge if you keep all the fish to yourself.

white_cap
11-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Those guys are easy to clean, once you get the hang of it
[smiley=fencing.gif]

*Deltadog*
11-19-2007, 07:31 AM
One of the first things you want to do is take the cord out of the sturgie. If you cut into the cord while cleaning it can leave a funny taste in the meat. To take out the cord all you do is cul around the tail use a sharp knife, cut into the area around the tail and then twist the tail and start to pull the cord out. Then cut off the top row of diamonds and from there fillet it. Thats how I do it. But you want to take out the cord or make sue you dont cut into it while cleaning. Also when you first catch your sturgie you should bleed it out. This gets rid of all the blood and make for great tasty meat. To do this cut the gills.
Dont worry about all this, bleed it out if possible, then fillet it. Very simple, very easy...
Dog

MontanaN8V
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Put it on the ground, head facing you, call me, I will bring my 416 Barrett, and get back 600 yards, put one in his nose, will effectively cook it, gut it, skin it, and provide me with much fun!