PDA

View Full Version : leader size?

gomezfish
10-12-2007, 07:01 PM
in moving water how short of a leader shouldi use?

levelwined
10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
As short as lealy possiable18" with more e than a 1oz. waight. A extra under 1oz waight also helps. Keep your bait as close to the bottom as possaiable..

FISHINFOOL
10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Check the regs,Delta you can go as long or short as you want.
Paul
Lonewolf

BassJack
10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Paul is correct. There are no leader length restrictions in the delta region. I generally tie my leaders about 18" to 20" long using Maxima 60 lb test.

nhbfishin
10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Yep short leader. keep that bait on the bottom.Steven.

mike22ca
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I like mine to be about 18"-24", and use any where from 50-100# mono for leader.

gomezfish
10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
what if i went 12 inches? would that be a bad bait presentation?

NorCal_Bangers
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
what if i went 12 inches? would that be a bad bait presentation?

i do belive to short is a bad thing...you want to allow the fish to inhale/suck/swallow what ever you want to call it, up into the mouth.

with a "short" leader the weight depending on size will restrict that...i feel a larger strugeon can take that leader freely into its mouth 12" and if a weight is there to restrict that movement well it will spit it....

usually i make mine 18" to 22"

NCB

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I run 24-36 inch leaders and dont seem to have a prob. The thing to remember is the suit in the delta...These fish know it better then we do. If that bait is burried in the mud then ::) Good luck....I like longer leaders :P

80lb power pro ;)

*Deltadog*
10-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Run a longer leader with a 1/8 to 1/4 oz. egg sinker crimped on your 100lb. mono leader about 4" to 6" up from your hook. Use a nice fat crane swivel to attach to your mainline.
* Dog

dimpala95
10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Although there is no leader length regs there is restrictions when it comes to sinker to hook distance.

2.10. Hook and Weight Restrictions.
(a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this
section, “gap” means the distance measured
from the point of a hook to the shank.
(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for
Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided
(does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the
Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section
1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado
River).
1. No person shall use any single hook with a
gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook
with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is
directly or indirectly attached closer than 18
inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or
more than one single hook on non-buoyant
lures exceeding one ounce.
4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly
attached below a hook.
(c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San
Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition
of the Delta).

I make my leaders at least 18" but not more than 24". I also use a sinker slider.

*Deltadog*
10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, but very few of those regs (only one) apply to the Delta. Due to the fact thats lots of people use half-hitches with cut bait. Three half hitches when fishing whole sardines turns a 24" leader into a 12" leader easily. Hence the exceptions for the Delta when it comes to leader length, hook and weight restrictions. ;)
* Dog

*Deltadog*
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
[quote author=D impala95 link=1192244509/0#10 date=1192819377]Although there is no leader length regs there is restrictions when it comes to sinker to hook distance.
quote]

Sinker to hook is what is considered a leader in DFG's book. Those are the regs pertaining to leader length. There are no "Leader Length" regs.
* Dog

Hog
10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Dog or anyone else,

Can you quote the exception in the regs for the delta pertaining to distance between a sinker over 1/2 oz and the hook. I've looked at everything I can find and I don't see it. Or is it one of those things that aren't enforced?

*Deltadog*
10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Dog or anyone else,

Can you quote the exception in the regs for the delta pertaining to distance between a sinker over 1/2 oz and the hook. *I've looked at everything I can find and I don't see it. Or is it one of those things that aren't enforced?
Here you go....
2.10. Hook and Weight Restrictions.
(a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this
section, “gap” means the distance measured
from the point of a hook to the shank.
(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for
Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided
(does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the
Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section
1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado
River).1. No person shall use any single hook with a
2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is
directly or indirectly attached closer than 18
inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or
more than one single hook on non-buoyant
lures exceeding one ounce.
4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly
attached below a hook.
(c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San
Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition
of the Delta).
Its right there....all legal like...
Dog

bigg_fishh
10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
18'' sevalon steel leader with a 1/2 oz weight 9'' above the 7/0 gamakatsu hook with what ever weight is needed to keep the rig on the bottom attached to a slider above the rig.

GCinGV
10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I like to use a 36 to 40” leader with the slider on the leader itself with a stop at about 18”. I’ve only had a few roll up the line but the longer leader helps if they do. The slider on the leader is hard on the wire though and I have to change leaders a little more often. Still using steel wire but I hate it.
GC

C-dub
10-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I like to use a 30-36"; 60-90 lb. wire leader. *I was schooled to stay off the mono for Sturgeon leaders due to the "Holy Rollers" that will slice through the mono like butter with thier scutes. *Inspection of the leader after landing a fish usually shows substantial damage even to the steel leaders. *Down at the hook or hooks I use glass (not plastic) beads to add some weight down at the bait and cause a little noise by clicking in the current. *The weight of the wire leader will help you stay down on the bottom.

innovate
10-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I've landed numerous fish on 60lb test mono before. Never had a fish break or cut through it. The only problem I had was the style of loop (perfection loop) that I used to tie the double-opposed hooks.

I've since upgraded to 100lb test mono and tie a surgeon's end loop. Havent had any fish break me off yet with this setup.

I also run longer than normal leaders. My standard length is about 30 inches and if the current is fast, I'll go down to about 22 inches.

Some people think that keeping the bait on the bottom with an 18 inch leader is ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY, but if you think about it, does natural food coming down current actually stay stationary? It rolls, tumbles and sways in the current.

Roland

*Deltadog*
10-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I like to use a 30-36"; 60-90 lb. wire leader. *I was schooled to stay off the mono for Sturgeon leaders due to the "Holy Rollers" that will slice through the mono like butter with thier scutes. *Inspection of the leader after landing a fish usually shows substantial damage even to the steel leaders. *Down at the hook or hooks I use glass (not plastic) beads to add some weight down at the bait and cause a little noise by clicking in the current. *The weight of the wire leader will help you stay down on the bottom.
There's no way a sturgeon will slice through 100 lb. mono like "butter". That stuff is burly. Without the kinks and difficulty of wire.
Dog

C-dub
10-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks Dog! I'll try some heavy mono next time out and compare it to the wire.

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-21-2007, 09:59 AM
There's no way a sturgeon will slice through 100 lb. mono like "butter". That stuff is burly. Without the kinks and difficulty of wire.
* Dog

Delta, you ever catch a five foot greenie? They will cut through anything like butter ;)

*Deltadog*
10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
* Dog

Delta, you ever catch a five foot greenie? They will cut through anything like butter ;)
Now That I can believe...I caught a 5 inch greenie. My first sturgeon ever. I was fishing with cotton gloves and could'nt get him undone from the cotton weave! He simply transferred from one hand to the other when I tried to let him go. But his dorsal scute line looked like a skil-saw blade.
Dog

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Now that there is funny ;D