PDA

View Full Version : Suisun GPS Locations

synergy06
10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey everyone. New to Sturgeon Fishing. I just bought a new 25 ft boat. I haven't had time to buy a fishfinder yet but I do have GPS can anyone have any GPS locations that are holding sturgeons around Suisun Bay.

nhbfishin
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
First of all welcome to the boards. second good luck getting someone to give you gps coordinates. You really need to get a fishfinder for sturgeon fishing. Try the mothball fleet, big cut, little cut, and near the pg&e plant. scan those areas with your finder till you mark sturgeon then anchore up stream of them. If you cant get your finder yet try those spots anyway, and good luck! Steven.

nhbfishin
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh one more suggestion is charter a reputable guide for that area and ask alot of questions, this will save you tons of guess work alot of money in the long run. steven.

Hinkley
10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
i wouldnt go anywhere in those areas without atleast a depthfindernew boat or not

FISHINFOOL
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
There's been times @ lowtide I wouldn't launch at Suisun w/out a depth/fishfinder.
Paul
Lonewolf

fishon_gethenet
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Ditto...my depthfinder saved my behind last weekend. We went from 30 ft to 2.5 ft in less than 15 seconds.. :-?

mike22ca
10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Yup, everything these guys just mentioned... I second. The depth finder is a must have, even better if you have a navionics chip or something similar to show u the depths and contours. Without that your gonna end up beaching yourself on a sandbar/mudflat. No ones gonna give out there exact GPS coordinates, BUT thats ok you don't need them. Once you have electronics, check out all the popular haunts and meter for fish. Once you find fish them anchor upstream from them. If you wanna learn the spots, go with a guide, its gonna shorten your learning curve quite a bit.

SPORTcoupe
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
good luck getting someone to give you gps coordinates. You really need to get a fishfinder for sturgeon fishing
nhb: I'm sure he's asking for approximate coordinates, not your honey holes.

synergy: Do believe us when we tell you that going out there without a depth finder is just asking for trouble. I would also recommend a nice navigation map of the area.

Try the mothball fleet, big cut, little cut, and near the pg&e plant

Here's a starting point:
mothball fleet [ch8211] 38.03[ch8217]25.50[ch8221]N | 122.06[ch8217]56.50[ch8221]W
big cut [ch8211] 38.05[ch8217]20.42[ch8221]N | 122.00[ch8217]26.78[ch8221]W
little cut [ch8211] 38.04[ch8217]54.55[ch8221]N | 121.59[ch8217]01.83[ch8221]W
pg&e [ch8211] 38.02[ch8217]33.85[ch8221]N | 121.53[ch8217]49.41[ch8221]W

Even once you learn some spots, I find that fishing for sturgeon without a fishfinder is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Eventually you may (or most likely may not) get lucky.

Good luck.

Cheers,
~Alan

synergy06
10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys for the tips. I ordered the fish and depth finder already just need time to install.

mike22ca
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Definitley take the time to hook that bad boy up, then enjoy the reward!

Delta_Rose
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I would also recommend a nice navigation map of the area.

Definitely nice to have as a guide- but I sure wouldn't trust the water depths indicated :-/. *Get the depthsounder mounted ASAP. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Luke
10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey everyone. New to Sturgeon Fishing. I just bought a new 25 ft boat. I haven't had time to buy a fishfinder yet but I do have GPS can anyone have any GPS locations that are holding sturgeons around Suisun Bay.
The mentioned fishing areas are good. But some of them require following bottom contours to get there to keep from running aground and all of them require the use of sonar to find the fish. Install your sonar first then look for the fish. Gps numbers may be good fishing one day and not the next. Fish move and therefore so do the anchoring spots. If you plan to fish around the fleet or garnet point without a depth finder the most important number you might need is the phone number to vessel assist. Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
Luke

nhbfishin
10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Just to clear this up guys. I was assuming his boat had a factory Depth finder, Ya know with just the numbers on it. I have been stuck on that sandbar at the fleet and wouldnt want that to happen to anybody. Good luck, good fishing, and congratulations on your new boat. Steven.

Newty
10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Back in March I found that sand bar off the fleet doing about 30mph :o. My depthfinder was saying 10 feet but I found out otherwise.I had the boat for about a month and it already had a depthfinder on it so I was thought that it worked, obviously it was lying to me. $1100 in repairs later and of course a new gps/sonar unit and vhf radio I was back in the water. Definitely have to have good electronics.Good luck out there!

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
If you plan to fish around the fleet or garnet point without a depth finder the most important number you might need is the phone number to vessel assist. Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
Luke

Thats the best advise Ive heard around here in some time ;)

Ive run aground out there in the midlle of the night even with a sounder, not nice ::) Ive done it during the day also, first clue ::) Birds standing on water :o DUH!!!!! ;D Scary bizzness

Please be careful out there ;)

Oh and welcome aboard...

And once you get that unit hooked, look me up...I can show yea around :D

Newty
10-18-2007, 05:35 PM
If you plan to fish around the fleet or garnet point without a depth finder the most important number you might need is the phone number to vessel assist. Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
Luke

Thats the best advise Ive heard around here in some time ;)

Ive run aground out there in the midlle of the night even with a sounder, not nice ::) Ive done it during the day also, first clue ::) Birds standing on water :o DUH!!!!! ;D *Scary bizzness

Please be careful out there ;)

Oh and welcome aboard...

And once you get that unit hooked, look me up...I can show yea around :D
:) :)