PDA

View Full Version : Rio Vista Report 10/14 thru 10/16

BassJack
10-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Fished the Rio Vista area from 10/14 through 10/16. Ended up with seven keepers ranging from 19" to 11 pounds. Still no luck with trolling or plugging (???). Most of the action was drifting live bullheads and mudsuckers. Has anybody ever tried drifting dead bait like shad or sardines? It seemed like drifting was much more productive than fishing anchored.

I read the regulations regarding transportation of dead bait fish. I was hoping that it would be legal to catch and use your own Pike Minnows, Bluegill or Split Tails as long as they are dead and not alive. It looks like it is still illegal in the Valley District, regardless of whether they are dead or alive. Anybody have any experience with this?

donzitroller
10-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Captain, way to go on the fish! This time of year bullheads and gobies are the way to go. As far as the regs go, my interpretation of dead bait is that you can use anything that is legal to fish with, as long as it's not alive, regardless of where you caught it. I may be wrong, but I believe the intention of the transport rule is to keep non-native species from being introduced into our waterways. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Tired of chasing salmon, bout time to go after stripers! FISH ON!

SturgeonVirgin
10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Donzi I agree with the way you read it, it should be fine to transport a dead bait fish.

Man, I need to get fishing...... ;) :(

Peacekeeper
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Tired of chasing salmon, bout time to go after stripers! FISH ON!

I hear that, Salmon rigs are getting stowed for the season!!! Anyone been out to the Sand Bar recently? BTW, I agree w/ you guys on the Frozen bait issue, as long as its dead, and as long as you arent using non-native baits (could spread non native disease). I hate it wehen that happens :o,,,,bullheads and split tail keep nicely,,,,,and come in handy when bait is scarce and fish are runnin,,,,Fish On

jetcraft18
10-20-2005, 03:06 PM
how do you rig up to drift mudsuckers?

BassJack
10-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I've been rigging up live mudsuckers as follows: 20 lb test Maxima mainline > slider with a 1 oz. ball sinker > bead > snap > swivel > 36" 20 lb test Maxima leader > 2 ott hook tied with a king sling knot. This is something that I just made up - it's not something that I've seen anybody use. I tried using a double hook threaded through the mudsuckers back like the pro's do, but they seemed to die too quickly with that method.

As far as the legality of catching and using dead bait fish, I still believe that it is illegal. I'm going to start a new thread to see if anybody has any experience dealing with this.

GIL
01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
ok, now were getting somewhere. now, do you run the hook thru the lip ?

also, does anyone have a pic of the threaded with double hook pro method ??? keep up the good work. gil