PDA

View Full Version : Stripers in the American

Seceret_hole
02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Well my friends The Stripers are officially in the American River behind Cal Expo. Live Bait is the only way to go!!!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/****hole200521lbs-1.jpg

Bassassin
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the boards secret hole! Nice fish!

My best, albeit limited, luck in the American has been on jumbo minnows. What kind of bait were you guys using?

Fishtale
02-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Nice fish ;D ;D ;D

Seceret_hole
02-03-2005, 01:45 PM
We are catching squaw fish for bait. we use salmon roe to catch the squaw's but most of the squaw's are too big to use as bait. Minnows work well too if your in a boat drifting.

lonestar12
02-03-2005, 02:10 PM
:D WOW!!! Only in my dreams.. I'm very new to the striper fishing. Just started in '04. Only through backs :-/,but my son landed a 10# striper in the Sac. River. That was his 1st :D. Up in the Yuba City area. Again "WOW!!!" Thats awesome secrethole..Keep it up. ;)

Bootsforwalking
02-03-2005, 04:55 PM
That is one beautiful Striper. ;D Welcome to the boards "Seceret_hole". Keep posting those great pics. Did you happen to get the weight on that hog?
BFW

SEEKER
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Welcome and see you out there SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!! TIGHT LINES, Rich

h00kie
02-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Nice fish S_h. Must have been nice having something that big on the other end of your line :o

donzitroller
02-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Great fish! The American isn't just for salmon and steelhead I see.. I just can't see takin my boat up there..lol.. FISH ON!

Intimidator
02-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Looks like maybe i might bring some jumbo minnows with me this weekend,just in case the steelhead fishing is slow.

FishyMe
02-04-2005, 08:18 AM
would you mind sharing what area you were fishing????

FishyMe
02-04-2005, 09:33 AM
thats good enough..just curious.. where would you park.. im fishing from shore???? what tackle?? does hook have to be barbless???

DragonSlayer
02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Now, if I gave out that Info on the internet it would no longer be a "Secret hole" ;). I will tell you this though, Behind Cal Expo is prime area, find a deep hole if your in a boat and toss the anchor. If you fish from the bank you can choose any spot you like and probably will have good results untill the middle of march.
Secret first off Welcome to the Board. I live 5 min. from Discovery and can make Cal expo on my boat if your lookin for a ride. ;D ;D ;D There's lots of holes i know of up there but i've always worked them with jigs for salmon. drift orrrr jig live bait for them????

DS 8)

Striperman
02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Its nice to see that people are catching stripers in the american already. I love to fish the american for stripers. my biggest last year was a 35 pounder. Around Cal Expo. Its a hot spot!!! ;)

Seceret_hole
02-04-2005, 03:48 PM
It really is a hot spot, not much of a secret either... I see fisherman out there all the time but most are in boats, trolling or drifting minnows. You have to park at Sutters Landing or Paradise Beach then walk a LONG ways to get to the good holes(I ride my Bike in), You dont need barbless hooks if you fish from the I-80 bridge down to Discovery park. You can even fish at night in that area on the American :o. I do use barbless for the squaw fish so they are easy to remove from the hook. I use 2 poles (1 at a time of course). 1 ultra light for catching squaw and 1 heavy pole with a bait caster reel that clicks loud when a fish is running( I love that sound!), When you catch a squaw attach it to the heavy rod and reel. This method requires alot of preparation, but pays off in the end!

1.Catch Salmon in fall and remove salmon eggs and cure them.
2.Use salmon eggs to catch Squaw's, or redworms to catch splitail minnows. Sardine works too but eggs are better for squaw's.
3. When you catch a squaw gently attach it to a 4/0 live bait hook through the lips and run a 2 ounce weight on a slider, or a triple swivel set up. Cast close to shore, about 8 to 10 yards out and wait for your line to start screaming! ;D

Good Luck!!

P.S Discovery park has a Hot spot for striper too, around the I-5 bridge .

Striperman
02-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Is anyone fishing with lures? I only fish the american with lures. I love the way a big striper hits a top water popper. Ya it is a hike to get in but its worth the walk. This year i am going to only fish braided line because i lost a big fish that broke me off. I was using 20pound Pline and i had a huge fish on and it rolled and broke me off. The braided line DOES NOT BREAK!!! I am not taking the chance of losing a big fish again. Maby ill see you out there some time Secret Hole!! 8)

vito
02-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Great info secret. Is there a place I can launch a small aluminum boat around that area. If so where at?? Thanks.

trout_man
02-05-2005, 01:24 PM
i fish from shore and i always hear about the american by cal expo. but how do you get there. i know the path alont howe ave can get you there, but thats a very far walk (at the time i was jogging and it was far enough). if there somewhere close so i can park. i don't mind a 10-15 minute walk.

vito
02-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks for sharing. If you are ever going trout fishing, let me know and I'll share some of my spots with you. Have fun Sunday!

Striperman
02-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Skipped out on the Super Bowl today to go fishing. Did not catch anything. >:( I am going to start fishing bait more. How is everybody fishing minnows? How hard is it to catch the squa fish?

Seceret_hole
02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
It's been Slow the past few days...even the sqauw's wont bite. ??? Only one striper caught that I know of, by a friend of mine who had a run on a whole sardine. Weighed 8 pounds and he let it go...

Bassassin
02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I was out early Sunday until around noon. I put in at Discovery and putted all the way up past the Bus. 80 bridge. I drifted minnows, threw pencil poppers, and fish traps in a number of nice holes all for zip. What a beautiful day though.

Seceret_hole
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Caught 1 today at Discovery Park, 7 lbs. Use redworms at the mouth for splittails. ;Dhttp://images5.theimagehosting.com/FEB82005.jpg

Intimidator
02-10-2005, 06:59 AM
That's it. I'm busting out IntimidatorI and heading out ther Sunday morning with some Jumbos from Troys. If it's nice weather.(I have my kid this weekend)

Striperman
02-10-2005, 10:02 AM
My buddy and I are going out on friday. We are putting the boat in at discovery and going up to the mouth and up under the bridge. We will be throwing luers and fishing bait. Will let everybody know how i do.

Seceret_hole
02-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Flood control just opened Nimbus Dam and there is alot of debris and muddy water floating down the American now. That will mess things up a bit but should be back to normal soon.

JGSCHACK
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Is it legal to use squawfish for bait? Wasn't sure so I thought I would ask?

Fish-on
02-11-2005, 02:02 PM
As long as you use it in the same body of water where you caught it. DO NOT transport it from one place to another and you are good to go!

fishyfishy33
02-11-2005, 03:09 PM
how far up are these holes you guys are talking about from discovery? ive been up there but must not have known where cal expo was. are you guys drfting with jumbos or anchoring up?

Bootsforwalking
02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Beautiful fish! Thanks for the report and keep 'em comin'. ;D

Fisean
02-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Well it's not a secret anymore! I usually do the exact same thing as "Secret Hole" is descibing except add to the secret...roe and eggs work well for squaws, but cheese works better sometimes...and they only like orange cheese. Every year a buddy of mine and I take an aluminum boat launch at Sunrise and drift down to Goethe...fish the holes on the way down. And I do drift my normal spot behind Cal Expo. in my bigger aluminum. Haven't seen them this early and looking at daily totals there's probably not too many left. But usually topwater lures work better in the Summertime. Nice Fish!

sehoner
02-12-2005, 04:36 PM
ya was there to day from 930-1230 couldnt catch any squaws, no stripers either. saw one other guy fishing the bank and two boats. was 150yds below the t.bridge. dude that green shirt and the bikes in ur pics,hmmmm......maybe,just maybe.

Seceret_hole
02-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Now fellas, there are literally 100's maybe 1000's of areas on the American that will produce stripers, your success rate will be detirmined by your methods of catching them, presentation and the right place at the right time thing too. My method is fishing live bait(unless I can't catch any), then its stinky dean. The stripers are moving in right now all over the river system to spawn and there hungry! Its the same pattern every year, The hot spot right now is the mouth of the American, plenty of splittail minnows there too ;D. "Thats the ticket!"

SEEKER
02-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Will be doing the balancing act at the mouth of Discovery this afternoon. Im sure with good results with this front moving in and through. Will let you know how things went. TIGHT LINES, Rich

Bassassin
02-13-2005, 08:01 AM
SEEKER I may see you down there. I have a few Clydesdale size minnows left over from yesterday that I hate to waste. I just have to finish a few chores first. If I go, I'll be banking it near the mouth on the side of the river closest to Discovery. Feel free to throw a beer at me as you float by. ;D

Good luck!

SEEKER
02-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I`ll be banking it as well. If you see me floating by THROW ME A ROPE AND FAST.

sehoner
02-13-2005, 04:39 PM
so okay i went, there was a group of like ten guys on one side and a guy,his girl and their two kids on my other side. it was windy and i was cold, no bites. so i moved under the five bridge, no bites. was there from 1230-330. then i went and worked on this lil spring pond. :-X gonna take my nephew there as soon as its full. how'd u guys do?

Seceret_hole
02-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Me and 3 of my firends went to my trusty spot on the American and would you believe it they all 3 landed a striper and I didnt catch any!!!! :-/ It was real wierd too because we had no action all morning then all in a sudden, 1st rod SLAM! 2nd rod SLAM!! then seconds later the 3rd rod SLAM!! They all 3 had one on at the same time. landed all 3! I was running from one to another helping em out it was crazy!!!! They were some happy campers let me tell ya...It was cool to see them so excited, made my day even though I got skunked.
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/3amigos.jpg

Alan_E
02-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Great looking fish! Any details on where and method? ???

Intimidator
02-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Nice job secrecthole...
Looks like you guys have been doing good.
With the new trowlling batteries just installed this weekend i had better get out there and drift some jumbos...

fishyfishy33
02-14-2005, 02:27 PM
do the jumbo minnows that you can buy work as well as the sqaw fish or no? id rather spend my time fishing for striper than fishing for bait, if you know what i mean. ;D never been out there for striper and am excited to give it a try sounds and looks like a lot of fun. on the sqaw fish do you use two hooks or one? thanks for the help and happy fishing!

fishyfishy33
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
also what type of jigs are good out there? size/color/cent?

Seceret_hole
02-15-2005, 08:51 AM
You can cast or troll these bucktail jigs
http://www.pixpile.com/img1647.jpgsize depends on depth and how fast the current is moving, usually between 1/2 to 1oz. works well

I prefere to use these
http://www.pixpile.com/img1648.jpg

I am going to go search for some today, I will let you all know how I do....

Seceret_hole
02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
I found squaw's!!!! and a hole full of stripers too. Started *getiing good when the rain started coming down hard...My buddy did'nt catch any but I got my first limit of the year ;D 8 and 12 lbs. It was cool catching stripers in the rain.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/1stlimit05.jpg

SturgeonVirgin
02-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Way to go! I kept looking outside today thinking that fish bite well in the rain, but never got a chance to get out.

Striperman
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Nice limit. 8) I will definetly have to get out asap!! I think i am going to start to fish bait. It is just to cold and to early to fish lures. I will definetly be out there this weekend. I guess it was nice to get some squaw's again judging by the limit you got!! Good luck to everybody and maby see you out on the river soon!!

Danny

Bassassin
02-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Great job Secret_hole! Nice to see so many nice fish so early in the year. I think we are in for a banner one.

Intimidator
02-16-2005, 06:44 AM
You are the man secrect hole!!!!!!!!!
How big are the Split tail you using?
You think there is any just inside the launch area at discovery? Split tail not Stripers.

vito
02-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey secret! Nice catch. Ever since you started this thread I have been eye-balling the river to find ways behind Cal expo. I go to CSUS and drive over the J street bridge every day. I was wondering. When you make that dead end right on Ethan - heading toward Howe Ave - with Cal Expo on your right, it looks like you could access the river back behind the Livestock area of the fairgrounds. Have you ever gone in that way??

SturgeonVirgin
02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey secret! Nice catch. Ever since you started this thread I have been eye-balling the river to find ways behind Cal expo. I go to CSUS and drive over the J street bridge every day. I was wondering. When you make that dead end right on Ethan - heading toward Howe Ave - with Cal Expo on your right, it looks like you could access the river back behind the Livestock area of the fairgrounds. Have you ever gone in that way??

That is a pretty good way to get in there; I use a bike to get in on the bike trail from that point, good water above and below that area.

Seceret_hole
02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Splittail minnows are usually found in moving water not slack water like the discovery launch ramp, you can catch squaw's there though on roe or sardine or Velveeta cheese.

If you dont have time to catch bait then buy the biggest jumbo minnows you can find and fish close to the bank, stripers that are feeding lurk close to the shore looking for fish to ambush.

The only squaw's I found yesterday were at an inlet at Howe ave. Most of the squaw's I use are about 6 to 12 inches.

Good luck!

fishyfishy33
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
to catch the split tails are you close to the surface with a bobber or on the bottom? and prbably closer to shore im guessing. then do you just hook them through the upper lip? thanks for the help going out this weekend to give it a try so trying to get all the info i can! happy fishing!

Intimidator
02-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks for that secrecthole.

Seceret_hole
02-17-2005, 07:40 AM
To catch splittails and squaw's you must fish the bottom with just enough weight to keep it down, and fairly close to shore. When you catch one hook it through the bottom lip first then up through the top lip and toss it out quickly so it stays alive for a long period of time. Dont handle the bait to tightly or you will damage it.

Good Luck!

fishyfishy33
02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks for the help. i will be out there saturday so hopefully will have a good report back. anybody else heading out this weekend?

kanaka27
02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
hey all...just moved to the area. *Anyways, I may get out there this weekend. *Where are you gonna try? *Can you give up any info on some areas of good access to the river?

Americansteel
02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
in dry creek where i fish for bass, i catch squaws all teh time on every bait imaginable, it might be different in big riers though.

panfisher
02-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Those are nice fishes secret hole....I dont really fish for stripers but I think I will go try....which side of the river do you catch them and are stripers in the coves are in the current?

Seceret_hole
02-19-2005, 12:08 AM
I dont really fish for stripers but I think I will go try....which side of the river do you catch them and are stripers in the coves are in the current?
Any side of the river is fine ::) and I usually find stripers in moving water not coves...Most of the American river is moving at all times, and as someone else said in another thread "there is not a specific hole" to catch stripers because they are always moving around the river system. Try different spots and enjoy the river. ;D

I lost a big fish today :-[, broke my 25 lb.test line....Cant win em all I guess.

FishyMe
02-19-2005, 07:28 AM
what kind of set up are you using???? weight? length of leader? etc..

panfisher
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Wow...that must have been a big one to break 25lb line. I was thinking about using 15lb maybe even 12...glad you told me. Thanks...and how long of a leader do you use? Goodluck next time...not like you need it. :)

panfisher
02-19-2005, 06:23 PM
One more thing...a guy at the baitshop told me to use bluegills or feeder goldfish for stripers. He said that the goldfish resemble carp and there are a lot of carps in the american. Are both those legal...he said it was. I didnt think so...so I thought I'd ask.

Intimidator
02-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Not the gold fish..........
And i don't even want to say what Bait shop might of told you that?

fishyfishy33
02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
what are good depths that i should be anchoring in? do i want to be in a deep hole or shallower?

panfisher
02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
No...it was not the bait shop. It was a guy that was there getting bait. So your saying that its legal to use bluegill but not the goldfish...isnt the goldfish for feeding anyways? I just thought it was not legal to use either.

Striperman
02-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Im not shure about goldfish or bluegills but i know that jumbo minnows work. I went out today and ended up with one and got bit plenty more times. The only problem i have is the small hooks that you have to use with minnows because they are so fragile >:(!! The fish was caught right at the mouth on a jumbo minnow. It was a JUMBO minnow too. The biggest one in the tank!! I know you can use bluegills that you catch out of the body of water you are fishing from but im not shure if you can transport them and use them. I have used them for Black Bass and caught some nice bass on them. Im sure a big Striper would eat them up also!!

Striperman

Americansteel
02-20-2005, 07:47 PM
how are these flow uppages gonna mess up striper fishin???

panfisher
02-20-2005, 08:23 PM
you know...you wouldnt have to transport the bluegills. there are several ponds and creeks along the american river near watt that you can catch plenty of bluegills. How were you fishing the minnows? Was it with a boober?

Striperman
02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
All we were doing is fly lining. Hook, splitshot, and main line!! Simple! I know about those ponds. I have fished bass in them before. There are also some big bass in there. The bluegills in there are monsters so you would have to get some of the smaller ones. Although bigger bait= bigger fish!!! I will be out again next weekend. My buddy and i just set up a tank in his garage that has an air stone and a filter and all that good stuff and we put our leftover jumbos in there. It is actually sort of cool. Hopfully more reports next week!!

Striperman

fishyfishy33
02-21-2005, 04:24 PM
did more exploring of the river looking for the holes then fishing but still got a line wet. we fished jumbo minnows above the next bridge up from cal expo and a hole down below. are the holes everyone is talking about right behind cal expo by that drainage canal coming in or am i in the wrong spot. so much crap comiong down the river today and water was a little muddy. we decided to book out of there when we were surrounded by the storms and seeing lightning close while in an aluminum boat then spoted 2 funnel clouds touching down. cool to see but thought it was wise to leave even though we lost a couple hours of fishing. still a fun day but was missing those fish i keep seeing secret hole holding up. thanks for the help and hopefully i can return the favor some other time!

Seceret_hole
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
There's isnt a specific "hole" to fish in, I just refer to an area of water on the river as a "Fishing hole". The area behind Cal Expo where the drainage canal is can be an excellent area to fish, The stripers are moving all over the river right now...you have to put in your time and you will catch one or two ;D Have fun!!!

Americansteel
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
ok the drainage canal if u go up from there theres a deep hole right above it, we catch shad there all the time and have had shad eaten by stripers in that hole so thats where i would b lookn but like everyone else is saying, the fish are moving all around.

Seceret_hole
02-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I fished the 16th street bridge area on the American today and landed 2 stripers at 9 and 7 lbs. then released them :). The river is high again but clear.
http://www.pixpile.com/img1843.jpg

Striperman
02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Nice day on the river!! I love the tattoo!! I am going to get one like that. and maby one of a tuna. I was wondering how the water would be considering they just let a whole lot of water out of nimbus and folsom!! Its nice to hear that it is clear.

Striperman

Intimidator
02-23-2005, 07:24 AM
secrecthole looks like you are having a great year!!!!!

kanaka27
02-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Lemme guess...split tails? You've been catchin some nice fish secret_hole!! Congrats! I tried this weekend with no bites. Not even a baitfish. I've used split tails in the past in Suisun area with alot of success. Like I said, I just moved to the area, and I can't wait to get my first hookup in the American!!

Seceret_hole
02-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Caught em on squaw fish(also known as a pike Minnow), A splittail minnow is not a pike minnow, I think some people confuse the two species. But both work really good for striper bait.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I am having a good year, I took 2 weeks off work this year just for striper fishing in the American. I also do very well in October on the Sacramento using..... Yes, you guessed it SQUAW'S!

Now get out there and fish!

FishyMe
02-23-2005, 09:05 AM
share some of that luck hehe...some guy i met the other day told me about a striper area on the american..thinking about trying it later on this weekend or soon... its near cal expo too.. is there a specific time of day we should be fishing?????

Striperman
02-23-2005, 09:27 PM
You can catch stripers anytime of day. I caught my big one at 1130 in the morning last year. I have caught them all throuout the day. In my opinion the best times to fish are mornings and evenings. But what fish doesnt bite better in the morning and evenings? It is just my opinion. I like to fish all day when i can. Put in the time and the fish will be there sooner or later. Good luck!! ;)

Striperman

Seceret_hole
02-23-2005, 09:34 PM
We caught 4 stripers today at Cal Expo, I did'nt bring the camera :-/....they were all males from 4 to 7 pounds. The river is in perfect condition ;D and full of stripers!!!

Striperman
02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
WOW do you ever sleep? Or do you fish every monent you are awake? Do you work? This is insane!! You are going to wipe the striper population single handidly!! Its nice to hear you are catching fish. I cant wait to get out and rip some lip. Great report!! What did you catch the fish on? Squaws or splittails? Nice to hear from you!!

Striperman

FishyMe
02-24-2005, 08:24 AM
WOW!!! your reports make me want to go out and try soo much!!!!!!! very encouraging reports!!!! maybe this weekend... just not sure what part or AR!!!

Seceret_hole
02-24-2005, 08:34 AM
WOW do you ever sleep? Or do you fish every monent you are awake? Do you work? This is insane!! You are going to wipe the striper population single handidly!! Its nice to hear you are catching fish. I cant wait to get out and rip some lip. Great report!! What did you catch the fish on? Squaws or splittails? Nice to hear from you!!

Striperman

Yes, I get 8 hours of sleep a night :P, I would fish every moment I am awake if I could ;) but I have to work. I Take time off work every year for the February striper bonanza, and every year seems to produce more fish, I release most of them back in the river ;D I am only using squaw's right now. The splittails are hard to find or catch now. I have been catching most of the stripers between 3 and 6 pm. It really seems to turn on during those hours....

Hey Danny, wait untill October and I'll really make you sick at the amount and size of stripers I will be catching ;D Its like clock work every year, There is a "hole" I found on the Sacramento river with thousands of squaw fish in it(free live bait!!).

Good luck !

FishyMe
02-24-2005, 08:40 AM
whats the best bait for squawfish??? are they easily located and caught??? maybe ill bring my pole to work and just go straight from work to amercian river tomorrow... how do you hook the squaw fish again?? or best way???

Striperman
02-24-2005, 08:56 AM
A Men to the fish every moment you could comment. I am the same way. I cant wait to see those pictures of your october fish. Hopfully i will be right there with you. I cant wait to get off school and i will be out there every day. Hopfully i will have catch as many as you are and maby even more!! :P ;) Haha. Its nice to see that they are already stacking up in the river. I agree that the only way to go right now is live bait. Dont even waste your time throwing lures at these things. They want something that swims and squirms. Good luck to everybody and nice to hear from you Mark!! Great fishing!! Keep the fish and the pictures coming!!

Danny

tsunami
02-24-2005, 03:06 PM
LIVE BAIT
the only way to fish 8)

The_Angler
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I agree LIVE BAIT, but i cant find a pike minnow too save my life this year ???

Sweet looking fish secret hole keep em coming!

panfisher
02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I was out yesterday morning fishing behind cal expo and didnt even get a bite. I tried to catch squaws with no success. I threw out sardines...no bite either. I dont know how secret hole does it.

tsunami
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
ive used whole sardines before and that has never worked,only gets shredded on by crawdads and small stripers.but ill fillet a piece off, and ive caught many that way.just tie some string around it so you can use that piece over and over again.but no doubt about it, the best way to catch a hog is with squaw fish.

panfisher
02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Do you catch your squaws at the same place you fish? Or do you catch them and then go to your secret hole?

Patrick#44
02-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Great fish, Secret_hole, good job on catching them and informing us on your success!
Patrick

Seceret_hole
02-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Do you catch your squaws at the same place you fish? *Or do you catch them and then go to your secret hole?
I always use the squaw's at the place I catch them, They are not easy to find right now but it will only get better as the weather warms, I also dont fish 1 specific hole, I fish all over the river trying to locate the stripers, for instance last sunday I didnt get a bite half the day so I moved about 500 yards down river and I caught 3 stripers in 2 hours. I catch a lot of stripers but I put in a lot of hours fishing for them too.

Good luck!!!

Intimidator
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Thought you would be out there fishing secerethole?

Seceret_hole
02-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I tried a few hours today with no success :(

Striperman
02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Goin out tomarrow. Any sugestions where to go? I am thinking about fishing the paradise area. I dont want to go to the mouth. Does any one have any sugestions?

Striperman

Striperman
02-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I made up my mind to go to Howe and put in and drift to paradise. I will let everyone know how i do. Wish me luck!!
P.S. Im going to try to catch some squaw fish also. Wish me luck!!! haha

Striperman

SEEKER
02-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Good luck and be careful out there. I will be talking to you soon. Let me know how you did. TIGHT LINES, Rich

joe_tomlinson
02-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Tried down at the mouth this morning with my dad. I got the only fish of the day, a 6" salmon smolt ;D, on a cast master. Also tried some sardine. The fur bag had a pretty good day, he got a few steelhead, and a striper, from what I saw. So we know they're there, or they were before secret hole, and the fur bag caught em all. ;D

Striperman
02-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Did you see two guys down there in a small aluminum boat when you put in? I fished this morning and picked up one small fish. about 3 pounds. Mostly trolled and fished sardines a little but no luck. How did everyone else do today?

Bootsforwalking
02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
How was the water color? I went over the Sac today and it looked real muddy.
BFW

Striperman
02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
The sac was muddy as hell but the american was as clear as can be. The sac had a lot of stuff floating down but the american was beautiful. The fish are there you just have to put in the time. As i said before any live bait is the way to go.

Striperman

joe_tomlinson
02-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Striper man, I was fishing from the bank, but I saw you guys. You were in 14' boat with a little merc, and you were wearing some orange coveralls.

Striperman
02-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Ya that was us. Where did you see us at? Were you fishing from the point on the mouth? I love those overalls. I wear them whenever i go fishing in a boat. They keep me dry, warm, non fishy. I baught them in the bay area because we do a lot of trips on the bay and to sandiego on long range trips. They were a great investment. ;D

Striperman

joe_tomlinson
02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
I was at the point by the mouth, we were fishing the mud line. I think that sea lion really spooks the fish, around there. I think I'll try further up next weekend.

Striperman
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I KNOW!! It really desapointed me when i saw that thing. It is really to bad that they are all the way up here. Next thing you know they will be up at the hatchery eating everything that swims by. I bet that sea lion eats VERY well. I also saw two river otters. One under the bridge and one up farther. I dont think they mess with the bigger fish but im sure they eat a there share of the little ones. All the baby salmon and steelhead that come down the river? I will probably be out again next weekend putting in my time. How about you?

Striperman

redneckpunk
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
I fished the american today between 2:45 and 6:00pm just west of the RxR bridge and Bus. 80. I didn't have the patience or daylight to waste trying to catch the squaws, although I did spend the first hour or so trying. Knowing I had sardine and my "big" pole sitting there not being used, I gave into temptation. The results: 2 small stripers, 15"&18", and one good pull down I missed while walking around cleaning up other peoples trash. I had the reel set in free spool with the clicker on and the fish pulled out about 10-15 ft. of line before I could get to the rod only to find slack and an empty hook. I'm still trying to figure out how that fish was able to untie that sardine so quickly.

Also saw 2 fur bags heading upstream. One returned a short time later but never did see the second come back.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the speed limit up the American was 5mph? I counted 6 different boats come flying up the river in the short time I was there.

Seceret_hole
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I hear ya RNP!!! Only a handful of boaters seems to abide by the 5 mph rule anymore...and the garbage on the shoreline is an issue I deal with all the time. I bring an extra garbage bag with me when I fish, and I collect trash that's left by others. :-/

This will probably be my last report for the American river untill the spring run starts. I can't find anymore squaw's and the stripers have moved,(probably up river). Time to break the boat out and start trolling and casting swimbaits!! ;D

Good luck!!!

Intimidator
03-01-2005, 07:16 AM
That's it!!!!!!!!!!
I'm heading out this weekend,tired of sitting on the sidelines.
Boats are all maintained and ready to roll......

Striperman
03-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I know i am guilty of the 5mph thing. Not a habit though. The one time i did it is because i had a time slot and was trying to get somewhere fast. I apologize. Before i had access to a boat i fished the bank and did the same thing with trash. I hate it when you see so much trash on the river. And IN the river. I have seen some weird stuff floating down the river latley...

Striperman

Redneckpunk: How far up were the sealions when you saw them?

Striperman
03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I would also like to take time out of fishing to thank Secret Hole for starting this board and to everyone that has comented on it and kept the reports recent. I check this board everyday and cant get on a computer without coming to check it out. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR KEEPING THIS BOARD GOING. It has helped me tremendously and i love how it has just exploded with information. haha i always thought that the striper in the american thing was overlooked by many anglers but i guess not. It is nice to see how it has taken off. Thanks again to everyone and keep the reports and pictures coming. ;D ;)

Striperman

Jason
03-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Went up the American today for the first time. Dropped anchor by the Del Paso bridge and me and my buddy drifted minnows for about an hour or so. Went back down to the mouth and drifted sardine chunks but the only bites were catfish. There was a seal hanging around most of the morning. Most definitly will try it again.

Striperman
03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Probably going out this sunday. Has anybody been fishing? Whats the deal? I need some info on weather to go striper fishing or sturgon fishing. I would much rather go striper fishing. Personally it is just more apealing. Is it going to be a waste of time though? I like to fish but i also like to catch fish when im fishing. Anyone let me know when you get a chance.

Striperman

triggerfish
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
striper man if I want to catch fish I go trout fishing or ocean fishing.....having said that river fishing is hit or miss.usally miss,but sometimes you will get a grandslam.you just have to put in the time.

Seceret_hole
03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Probably going out this sunday. Has anybody been fishing? Whats the deal? I need some info on weather to go striper fishing or sturgon fishing. I would much rather go striper fishing. Personally it is just more apealing. Is it going to be a waste of time though? I like to fish but i also like to catch fish when im fishing. Anyone let me know when you get a chance.

StripermanI been fishing! and catching too! but the American is not your best bet at the moment for Striper action :-[, the American river flow is down now and striper productivity has slowed a bit. The sturgeon action on the Sacto is starting to heat up though, just check the sturgeon forum for lots of good info and where the sturgeon are being caught.
I have caught a limit of 18" to 25" stripers everyday this week on the Sacramento river across from Discovery Park, (West Sac side of the river,)using pile worms!!! Fun on light Tackle.... ;D

Striperman
03-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Maby ill hit up the sac this weekend if i can get out. Whats new mark? You are always fishing and more specificly catching!! haha good luck out there... not that you need any good luck or anything.

Danny

Striperman
03-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Im thinking about banking it on the american. I dont want to drive a long way so were goin to the american. I think ill just go soak some stinky stuff. See whats goin on a little farther up the river. Anyone been out latley?

Striperman

Seceret_hole
03-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I have not had much luck on the Sacramento last week so we moved back up the American by the 16th street bridge and my buddy nailed a 19 pounder last night, his first big striper as you can tell by the smile on his face.;D We have been catching schooly sized stripers in the American too from Discovery park up to watt Ave. on Sardines.
http://www.pixpile.com/img2566.jpg

The_Angler
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
nice looking fish secret hole, nice to see your sharing the wealth with your buddies. Any sign of bluegills, pike minows, or split tails on the american yet. Ive noticed in the past when those bait fish start showing up the stripers are not far behind. ;D

Seceret_hole
03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
No bait fish anywhere to be found at the moment ??? *Soon they will be everywhere though and so will be the mass baby striper population that raids are American river every year in the spring and summer months :-/. Yeah my buddys have all caught a 20 pound range fish now since I introduced them to striper fishing in the "American River". Now they just want to catch one bigger than me >:(, where's the love I say, :P

Now go fishing!

Wishnbfishn
03-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Secret Hole... what do you think these increased flows will do to the striper bite on the American? Should I wait for the level to drop? What is the best bait this time of year?

Thanks for all the sharing you do here.

Wishn

tsunami
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
buy some minnows and toss em in the water.its a waiting game but there there and the flow doesnt matter much,ive caught em when no flows and with high flows.-
whats next????????????
is it ok to fish if 1 inch of rain has fallin or do you think its better if only a half inch of rain has fallin??pfft.just FISH!

Seceret_hole
03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
is it ok to fish if 1 inch of rain has fallin or do you think its better if only a half inch of rain has fallin??pfft.just FISH!
That sarcastic remark will not make you any friends here tsunami. Some folks are new to striper fishing and just want some good info. and you shouldn't be rude to them. Besides, you were green once too, I used too have to bait your hook for you!! remember? ;)

Seceret_hole
03-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey wishn,
The increased flows don't have any effect on the spring run stripers. If anything, there seems to be more fish when the American river levels are higher than normal. Stripers are in there now and if you want to catch one, you just have to go out there and try. Best baits right now are live baits or Sardine fillet attached to the hook with the "Wright Wrap" works REAL well. ;D

Wishnbfishn
03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the info., SecretHole, and for b-slapping tsunami for me. I owe you one.

If you don't mind, what is a "WrightWrap"?

Wishn.

Seceret_hole
03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Caught 2 today at the mouth of the American, The water level went way up since yesterday. Alot of 4 to 8 pounders are in there....

Wishn, I would have to show you how to apply the "Wright Wrap". It's a way to tie a sardine fillet on your hook so it resembles a shrimp or a crawdad tail. The bait also slides up the leader when you hook a fish so you can use the same bait multiple times without having to rebait. It's really cool!!
http://www.pixpile.com/img2933.jpg

Striperman
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
you never sease to amaze me!!! That isnt a bad limit at all. I want to fish the river but i thought it was blown out!! Nimbus has 5 gates open and the river is running at 25,000fps!!! Thats a little hot for me. I think i might have to go give it a try though!! Thanks for the post. What did you catch those fish on?

striperman

Fisean
03-25-2005, 09:28 AM
I was thinking about hitting the American yesterday as I was passing over the I 5 bridge on my way to Rio Vista. The beach is gone at Discovery and there was an accident on the other side of the freeway that made me think turn around...don't think so. Ended up at Rio Vista instead, not to threadjak here...nice fish there Secret Hole.
Ended up with a bunch of throwbacks yesterday in Rio Vista and one (about) 10 pounder that managed the prison break trying to net it at the boat. That's fishing. All caught on the troll BB's rainbow trout pattern in 12-20 feet near Decker Is. Thanks for all the up to the minute American Reports.

dimpala95
03-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey Secret, how about next time you head out, take some pics of the wrap. It will give us who don't know a better clue on how to do it. A picture and instructions is is even better.

SEEKER
03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
6 GATES OPEN NOW. Water up to the asphalt road. You could fish from the bike trail. :o Saw them pulling some poor guys ride out of the cobbles Thursday. Not sure what they were thinking. ( THEY WERENT ). WIll hit the lower stretches Sunday. TIGHT LINES, Rich

gizmo
03-27-2005, 06:28 PM
i was working today, but i watched two guys catch limits at the mouth of the american today. they stayed on the water line, where the sac is brown and the american is blue water. they were bouncing live minnows off the bottom. they were having fun.

Seceret_hole
03-28-2005, 11:54 PM
River went down about 3 feet today, clearing up too, Caught 1 around 5:00 pm, weighd 6 lbs. then released it. I caught it behind Cal Expo on a sardine fillet.

tsunami
03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
sweeeeeet
lol@secret_hole,i just noticed you put my picture of me and my 400 pound sturgeon up on the sturgeon board.that caught me by surprise seeing that up there.thanks killah
lets go slam another one tonight.call me if yer game. 8)

Seceret_hole
03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
No problem my friend...

I was fishing the American this evening behind Cal Expo, the river level is a lot better now. I was getting some action untill this huge sea lion came cruisin through. I never seen him up that far on the American, must be the high waters and all the stripers in there right now.

Hanapa
03-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Secret_hole- How big a boat can you get up the American & how far? I have a 21' striper with about a 3' draft. Can I make it up to Cal expo?

Seceret_hole
03-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Right now is ok for a 21' boat but when the water level gets back to normal I wouldnt go past Cal expo area.

Wishnbfishn
03-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Secret Hole..

What were you getting your action on before the furbag showed up?

Wishn

SEEKER
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
4 of the 6 gates now closed the water has gone down a good 3 feet since this morning. Will be after those stripers throughout the week. TIGHT LINES, Rich

Seceret_hole
03-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Still catching a keeper or two in the evenings after work. Right now I am just using the sardine fillet.

dimpala95
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Secret, any pix of the "wright wrap"? I'm trying to figure it out.

sky916
03-31-2005, 01:19 PM
hey dimpala, try fillet the sardine then cut a line down the inside of it. then fold it and wrap it up with some thread. (i perfer magic thread, less hassle when rebaiting) the bait should shape like a triangle. then put the bait trough the skinny side and have it come out the bottom.

Seceret_hole
03-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I'll have the pictures up tomorrow...

I through a Castaic swim bait today for about two hours and didnt catch anything. Saw a few boats trolling through and 1 boat had 1 striper on a stringer hanging off the side, about 10 pound range.

fish_4_one
04-01-2005, 07:28 PM
sounds like fun ;)

Seceret_hole
04-02-2005, 12:12 AM
I Caught and landed 3 stripers today all about the same size, 6 to 7 pounds and my friend caught 2. Blue gills are starting to show in some of the warmer shallows too!!
http://www.pixpile.com/img3186.jpg

tsunami
04-02-2005, 12:43 PM
by the looks of the pic. the river still looks high?were those caught on sards?

Striperman
04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Going out for the evening. Ill let you all know how i do. Did anyone do any good besides SH this morining?

Trolled around a little bit and picked up a few fish on the FF but didnt catch anything. The guys catching fish were soaking sardines. Maby ill give that a shot tomarrow.

Huge Sealion at the mouth. It made me sick. Thats about the 4th time ive seen it. I talked to one guy that saw the lion thrashing around with a schooley in its mouth. Y couldnt it have been on my line? haha

Striperman

Wishnbfishn
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
How far up the American can one expect to catch stripers? Would they be as far as Watt Ave.,Goethe, Hoffman, Sunrise??

Thanks.

Wishn

joe_tomlinson
04-04-2005, 11:49 AM
They should be bittting in the upper parts of the river later this summer, jul. through sept. is when I have good luck in the areas you listed. Right now lower river is where they are.

Fisean
04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Secret_hole- How big a boat can you get up the American & how far? I have a 21' striper with about a 3' draft. Can I make it up to Cal expo?

Behind Cal Expo Saturday no action, drifted minnows and soaked bait. As far as getting up the American with a 3' draft without knowing the river...may be a little scary. But can be done...watch your depth at J's and RR bridge below i80.
PS water temp was 54 at Cal Expo

redneckpunk
04-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I fished it today from the bank using sardine from 7am-1pm and managed to land one crawdad. Not even he made good bait. Had a couple small, small hits but still forced to order pizza tonight. :(

Seceret_hole
04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
The American river is way down now and the striper bite(at least where I fish), has been totally dead the last few days :(. Time to hit the SACRAMENTO RIVER!

Striperman
04-06-2005, 01:04 PM
How far up the American can one expect to catch stripers? Would they be as far as Watt Ave.,Goethe, Hoffman, Sunrise??

Thanks.

Wishn

Thats where i normally fish!! Watt and sunrise are both good!! I hooked into a huge fish up at sunrise and it broke my line. This was last year. I fish all lures up there and do very well. I started fishing the lower river last year more than i ever had. Now i have a boat and fish it a lot. But to answer your question there are a ton of stripers up there!! As Joe T said you have to go later on this year. They are fish up there right now but few and far between. Some of the bigger fish up there are local fish that live in the river all year and feed on everything from crawdads to salmon smolts to shad. Whatever they want.

Striperman

Striperman
04-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Hows the fishing on the american latley. Ive been fishing the sac and would like to take a trip up the american again next weekend. Hows it been? Anyone catching fish trolling? Bait?

Striperman

tsunami
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
well???
any action on the ol american???havent had time ta fish lattely,but i want to get out this weakend.thinking of hittin paradise beach area.or maybe rr bridge.

tsunami
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
and what up wit da shad run??anyone hittin em yet?

Wishnbfishn
05-06-2005, 01:12 PM
There's a few tsunami.... but give it another weeek or so... they'll come.

wishn

tsunami
05-07-2005, 10:27 PM
i caught a huge striper this evening behind cal expo at paradise beach on a live squawfish! 20lbs. a guy named "mack" caught one on friday 41 lbs. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/14547ab766.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Striperman
05-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Hefty fish bro!! I love paradise beach area. Some hogs cruis those waters on a daily basis. Maby we can hook up down there some time and catch some monsters!! Great fish and great pic!!

Striperman

vito
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Thats a hog man. Hey nice bike ;D ;D ;D

Bassassin
05-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Nice one tsunami!!! :o

tsunami
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
thanks
i normally release my fish,but i was with my daughter and i didnt have a camera with me.

tsunami
05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
well no action yesterday on the american.lots of idiots on boats haulin @$$ up and down the river full speed.soaked bait for about 2 hours with no bite:(

Intimidator
05-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Should of casted a nice 2 oz. weight at em........

tsunami
05-16-2005, 12:23 PM
;D

Fishyfingers
05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Awesome fish Tsunami!

Double_D
05-16-2005, 05:48 PM
WHAT A PIG!..Not you Tsunami, that fish you caught, nice fish I haven't cough an oinker this season yet, good job keep it up. ;D

tsunami
05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
any one attempted the american in the last few days?jimmy at broadway was saying some stripers have been coming in from the american on top water lures.

Striperman
05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Top Water in these HIGH flows? That surprizes me.... I hope its an accurate report though!!!

Striperman

redneckpunk
05-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Just thought I'd pass on a little info on the water level. Since tuesday 5/24, the water level at Howe Ave has dropped an estimated 4-6 feet allowing for the park and ramp to reopen. Another couple of days and we should be close to normal levels.

joe_tomlinson
05-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I wish, but they are just slowing it down a little for the weekend. 5/30 its going back up to 8000cfs and probably higher after that. You could still catch striper in the high water though.

Seceret_hole
05-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Better get them while it's hot!!! The American river is full of fish and water levels will be perfect this weekend ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wishnbfishn
05-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Any striper luck on the American anybody?

Wishn

tommy_tsunami
05-30-2005, 07:53 AM
tried the american again, with no luck, another sea lion was there chasing the fish away, been down there four times with only two small fish caught, sea lion there on all four accasions,

Fisean
05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Somebody needs to start a new thread on this. American is running at 8000 cfm and temp is 49 degrees...secret hole I'm with you time to hit the Sac...loks as though the delta may be gettin' better again.

SEEKER
08-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Hoping that you did well . Please report fish or no fish. THANKS TIGHT LINES, Rich

Seceret_hole
08-23-2005, 11:01 PM
But he went out tonight and hooked a (24" for you non-believers) 5.1 pound striper on a whole sardine. Tsunami is on a roll!! He's hooked nice fish all week on every outing

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e2a64f20d6.jpg
The American at the Paradise beach area.

triggerfish
08-24-2005, 05:43 AM
there is 1000's of baby stripers in the lower american. I went for a dive 2 weeks back. must have seen a school of 5000. that paper is full of it. :)

striper_assasin
08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
nice fish tsunami.i also went out yesterday evening and caught a 4 pounder on a live bait.i was only there for about 2 hours.lots of top water activaty out there.

FishyMe
08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Mind sharing where you are on the american?

striper_assasin
08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
seems like between 16th st.bridge and calexpo,is where everyone is landing them constantly.also see alot of salmon jumping and lots of people fishing for them on there boats but noone landing any.

DirtyStriper
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Is Watt Ave. the only way to get to Paradise Beach? :-/ and where is San Juan Rapids at? and has anyone ever caught anything off topwater at night?

Bob_Aloo
08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Is Watt Ave. the only way to get to Paradise Beach?

That would be a long walk. And too shallow by boat.

and where is San Juan Rapids at?

Around the south end of san Juan Blvd

and has anyone ever caught anything off topwater at night?

Topwater at dusk and dawn but for the most part those areas are closed to fishing at night.

Dlee
08-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I was out there this Saturday.
Early in the morning-5am to be exact. Lost 2 lures without getting to see what hit it.

First lure was a silver COTTON CORDELL popper-the one w/ the jig tail. BOught this at WAL-FART for $8--My brother in law was using 12pound Spiderwire--First strike--the Line just snapped like it was sewing thread.

2nd lure was a rooster tail. Same thing except I actually felt the power of the FISH. It took the lure and just took off. I was able to get one good crank but SNAP!

The day went pretty well-Caught 3 but only one keeper @ 24inches.

Oh yeah, a homeless drunk dude kept bothering us and we almost kicked him into the river.

wading2fish
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Ninja,
I am not familiar with spiderwire, is it braided or mono? And what kind of line were you using? I have been using 30lb Power Pro and have lost two of my favorite lures, a Polaris Popper and a Gibb's Pencil Popper to mysterious snaps. I am not ready to blame the line, I may have tied a bum knot :-/.

w2f

Striperman
08-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Here are a few stripers ive been catching latley. Sorry it took so long for the pix. Just got my camera developed! ;D Thats my luckey shirt! I wear it all the time when i fish! ;Dhttp://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/striper_2.jpghttp://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/striper_1.jpg

Striperman

fish_hunter
08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I started using the Power Pro stuff this year for Salmon fishing and it works great cause you can feel every little tick, BUT, I also had mysterious line snaps that cost me my expensive lures, SO, I'm going back to my 12# Big Game just because of that; which by the way never snaps for just any reason. Saying that, it is extremely hard to check for nicks on the Power PRO line, so here is a valuable tip: CONSTANTLY CHECK THE LINE FOR NICKS, especialy if your jigging and the lure gets caught on the line on the drop. From experience, that alone will nick the line cause the hook catches the line on the downfall if you drop to fast. Another tip is to use a 40lb mono shock leader about 6 inches to the jig because it allows the jig to fall more freely and will not catch the line 99% if the time. Can't wait to go jigging the Mokuleme River this November for stripers cause I killed them last season with this method. Happy fishin.

fish_hunter
08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey stiperman, nice fish. Funny thing is that I was fishing in that exact spot yesterday when I was pencil poppin and noticed an engraving on the rock island that said, "DANNY". Was that you marking your teritory? By the way, Mike22ca was were I got your name from. *;)

FishinFool408
08-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Nice fish Striperman as well as nice t-shirt. ;D

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Hey Striperman...

The spot in the pic looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Where is that?

Don't worry, I won't go there. You already caught all the fish!!

Wishn

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 07:44 AM
I almost forgot.... can I borrow the shirt?

Wishn

striper_assasin
08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
nice stripers STRIPERMAN.on powerpro i agree 100 percent.GARBAGE LINE ,i used it once and snapped the line just casting it.never ever again will i use that crap.i went back to my whiplash(berkley) braded line.small diameter and works great.no snapage!and so very sensitive...you could feel a fish fart on it its so sensitive.have not been able to go out since the other evening,but after seeing those beautifull fish you have there striperman i might go out tonight.

mike22ca
08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Nice fish danny!

On the power pro thing. It is some great line, but it does get those mystery pops though. Actually I've noticed it on the 30LB. The 50LB doesn't do it.

Loves-to-Fish
08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
nice fish! thanks for posting. looking forward in hitting the water with you sometime soon, in between coaching my 4 yr olds soccer team and deer hunting, fishing's been a little slow for me lately, enjoy the posts keep em coming guys.....keeps some of us sane while off the water!!

FISH-ON!!

LTF ;D

wading2fish
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I just replaced my Gibb's lures. They are very hard to find. I am also going to replace Power Pro with some Big Game 15lb. I like the sensitivity of the Power Pro and small diameter, but I'm tired of losing expensive lures because of those mysterious snaps.

w2f

Dlee
08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
What about Maxima 15pound test? You know, the green kind.
I use that for my salmon fishing as well--I've caught a few 30+ pounders using this line.

mike22ca
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Shoot you can catch 30+ #rs on 4# test, it's all in how you play the fish.

wading2fish
08-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Shoot you can catch 30+ #rs on 4# test, it's all in how you play the fish.

I agree 100% with you there. My problem has not been when I hook up tho, it's been the mysterious snaps when I'm casting, the line just snaps. And no the bail did not close, that Power Pro 30lb test sometimes just snaps like sewing thread. I've never used Maxima before, might try it in the future. Right now I'm going with what worked for me in the past, Big Game 15lb test.

w2f

SEEKER
08-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey LTF how have you been? Great I hope just fine here. Been gearing up for the tuna thing ( FOR OTHERS OF COURSE). Will be chasing them here in a week or 2. Danny, I called you the other eve to see if you had ANY LUCK with the you know what. Give me a ring I think LUMPY will be out this week if not already here. Lets get together Sunday for a bit. Should have all the sticks up and drying by then. Talk to you soon. TIGHT LINES, Rich

Striperman
08-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Ill give you a call tomarrow Rich! haha I got that shirt in mexico. It was the charter boat we fished on. haha Masterbaiters. On the front and back it says hooked on mastetbaiers. haha every time i wear that shirt i catch fish! ;D

Striperman

SEEKER
08-26-2005, 03:48 AM
Danny , call me on my cell any time before 6pm. after that any of the #`s you have will work. Im running behind. Take care and TIGHT LINES. OH I`M HOLDING YOU TO THAT SHIRT THING ;) Late, Rich

Striperman
08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
;D ;) ;) ;) I think the shirts in the washer! Ill see if i can find it! haha im debating between stripers and salmon tonight. Any thoughts?

Striperman

FishinFool408
08-26-2005, 08:36 AM
:o What!!? You are washing the karma off that shirt already STRIPERMAN? ;D

Striperman
08-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Haha it smelled to fishey! ;) ;) ;) My shirt always tends to get fishey when i cantch fish. haha to bad that hasnt been a regular occasion latley! I think im going to have to bust out the shirt again!

Stripermam ;D

striper_assasin
08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
went out last night for couple hours,lots of action on the water.but they didnt want my bait.going to try the sacto river tonight. :-/

stripehype
08-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Back to the line issue...I use the maxima Cameleon (dark purple). It is super tough and very resistant to abrasion. I would highly recommend it, but it is tough to find. I usually order bulk spools from Bass Pro. Once you try it, you will agree!!

jon_may
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
tough line plus, you can pull a car with it....

striper_assasin
08-26-2005, 10:52 AM
ive tried alot of braided lines over the years.my 1st. was spider wire.snapped on every salmon i had on.went back to fisherman warehouse they tested the line and agreed it didnt match what the strength it was supposed to be.tried fireline...WOW super strong,but to abrresive for my striper gear..awsome for sturgeon.tried tuff line cause that is what we used in oregon for sturgeons.it was hard to find,but perfect loved that line also and smooth not ruff on the guides.berkley wiplash comes in a very small diameter for its strength,love that line also.tried power pro,snapped on EVERY cast,while sturgeon fishing.casting 80 pound power pro with 10 ounce weight and every single cast it snapped.spider wire and power pro in MY opinion were no good.not for the money you spend on them.just my 2cents.anyone having anyluck out there on the american for stripers.striperman,tsunami,secret???.i might goto the sacramento tonight and test my luck.

Striperman
08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
I have uses spider wire and the stren braded line. They both worked well for me in the sense that it never broke! haha i took it off because i was in a drought of not catching fish! When i sngged i would cast a gibbs down where my snag is and pull up the bottom!!! haha it was good for that! I used 50lb. Its very thin. The sensitivity is insane! You can feel anything! It doesnt stretch either. When you set a hook you know the hook is burried! haha

Striperman

phishinpat
08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to the board. Just wanted to say howdy and chime in on the braid talk.

I've read and heard somewhere that if throwing heavy weights with braid you need something like 10lbs strength per 1 oz. used.

So with 80lb braid you would easily snap on a cast when chucking 10oz sinkers.

I learned the hard way, lost four rigs one after the other while sturgeon fishing from shore. I put 30lb PowerPro on my abu 6600 and teamed it with an 11ft casting rod. First cast, went snap and so forth, till I brought out a back up jigmaster loaded with 30lb mono.

I guess you have to consider the no stretch factor. So the possibility of setting the hook hard with the drags tight on a giant sturgy, might just snap your braid, with or without knicks in the braid.

So now I have 50lb powerpro topshot over the 30lb powerpro and cast no sinkers heavier than 4oz. If I want to launch heavier sinkers I will use a reel spooled with mono.

Good luck everybody...

Seceret_hole
08-27-2005, 07:40 PM
I think your getting off topic here... :P

SEEKER
08-27-2005, 09:43 PM
CATFISH BITE IS HOOOOOT AT PUDDINGSTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

striper_assasin
08-29-2005, 08:55 AM
i agree way off topic.
went out to the american again on sat.evening.caught about 10 small stripers and 4 stripers *between 13 and 17 inches long.no keepers >:(
hookes into a nice size squaw,but no runs with it.all the small stripers were caught on night crawlers.

Jason
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
What size hook and how were you hooking them? I have never used crawlers for stripers.

striper_assasin
08-29-2005, 12:28 PM
on the same set up you use to catch squaw's.a trout set up.small hook and a split shot.

striper_assasin
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
went to the sac. river and caught a bunch of shakers.then went back to my spot on the american and had the same luck.these shakers are driving me nuts!

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
took my buddy from work out last night and he landed a nice 3 pound striper. :)

fish_hunter
09-01-2005, 11:00 AM
fishing assasin, are you guys fishing in the lower American or in the upper part of the American? I'm thinking of heading out tomorrow and wanted to know where's my best shot at.

striper_assasin
09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
if you dont mind catching alot of undersized fish.try below the black railroad bridge that is betwwen 16th st. and paradise.i ussually just bottom fish.if you do bring LOTS of sardines.or you can give Ist. a try between the bridge and the moneystore.easier access if you drive.either way the larger strippers are not as abundant as 2 weeks ago,but there still out there you just have to deal with alot of small stripers.
good luck

MadCanoe
09-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Psst. / There here up stream chasing the Salmon for some yummy roe.... And just think of all those big meals..../

We are just lovin it..... -=Cy

Lumpy
09-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Striper_assasin
That spot right below the railroad bridge is infested with dinks(LOL LOL). I don't think we caught anything over 16". Your right man, bring lots of sardines and magic thread
God Bless

striper_assasin
09-06-2005, 09:18 AM
spent the whole day out there yesterday and caught nothing but small stripers. >:(
time to start fishing the sacramento river :(

Striperman
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
What were you using for bait?

Striperman

striper_assasin
09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
squaw and sardines.

Striperman
09-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Did the small stripers eat the squaws also?

Striperman

striper_assasin
09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
nope.my squaw sat out from 12 noon till about 830 pm.NOTHIN >:(

Seceret_hole
09-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Striper bite is very slow now :( No action at all the last few days.

Seceret_hole
09-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Did the small stripers eat the squaws also?

Striperman

Yep. even small stripers in the 2 to 3 pound range will nail a midsize squawfish (5" to 12"). I get a lot of runs that dont set hook that are most likely due to smaller stripers smacking the squawfish.

wading2fish
09-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Secret Hole,
You guys have any bluegill up there in the American? I know the squaws work great for you guys. I fish the Delta mostly along Hwy 4 and my go-to bait down there is live bluegill I catch in the river and it works great. Just curious if you guys had any b-gills, me I don't think I've seen any squaws down here.

w2f

Seceret_hole
09-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't see to many bluegill on the American except down by Discovery Park where all the sumberged trees are. I Have spotted some blues where I fish and they are huge and very timid. If I could catch them, I would definetly use them ;D

Eric_csus14
09-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Just curious but is it legal to use bluegill as live bait?

striper_assasin
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
as long as you use it where you caught it,its legal.can not transport to a different spot.

fish_hunter
09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there was blue gills in the american cause I was surprised that I hooked into a few smallmouths earlier this year at the mouth. I've seen tons of turtles as well.

wading2fish
09-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I know from the nice pics you guys have posted that squaws catch oinkers up in the American. But down where I fish for stripers for me it's all about the bluegills, that's my go-to bait for stripers. And when you find em they're so thick you can almost walk on em. I never have seen a squaw down here before though.

w2f

striper_assasin
09-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Theres lots of blue gills in the american.Seen them at paradise, dicovery,at the whole i fish mostly at.ive tried blue gill a few times,but nothing ever took it.i know laot of people use them though.

Striperman
09-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I caught a nice striper on a gill earlyer this year. Casted out, got nailed right away, set the hook and nothing was there, so i started to reel in and about 5feet from the bank got nailed again. Ended up being about a 5 or 6lb striper. They work!

Striperman

striper_assasin
09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
nice striperman!

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a great fishery up there in the American. Catching stripers on topwater, sardines mackerel etc., squawfish, and bluegills too! Nice!

Gills are my go-to-bait when striper fishing in the Delta. I have caught stripers on gills when everything else failed. They do work.

w2f

Seceret_hole
03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Some guy walks up on me today while I was fishing the American (lower), and says, "your wasting your time dude, theirs no fish in this river, I been fishing all week with no bites". I said, give it a while, be patient, the stripers are in there. Just as he walks away and says, Good luck, LOL! My pole starts bouncing, then bends hard, and it's fish on...
Couldn't have been better timing ;D I said no fish huh? Caught and released it while this guy begged me to let him have the striper. I says, sorry charlie, it's going back in the river.[smiley=rotfl2.gif]
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/3-30-07011-1.jpg

The stripers are scattered throughout the A, not real productive at the time, You just have to scout around and locate them in these low water conditions. 8-)

bmworks2fish
08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
secret whats up your fish looks just like the one that followed my rapala yesterday when i saw you yesterday. dude i am going this weekend for sure to get one those huge fish. these fish elude me every year and i am not getting any younger. time to catch one of these hogs!!!!!!!!!

Seceret_hole
08-18-2007, 10:32 PM
secret whats up *your fish looks just like the one that followed my rapala yesterday when i saw you yesterday. * dude i am going this weekend for sure to get one those huge fish. * these fish elude me every year and i am not getting any younger. * time to catch one of these hogs!!!!!!!!! *

Just keep at em bm, there in there as you know. Give those big stripers what they desire... Artificials can fool them, but live bait is by far the most productive way to hook a fat striped bass.

Good luck!