PDA

View Full Version : What size squawfish do you perfer?

Lumpy
06-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Just wondering what size squawfish do you perfer? I've talked to some guys who use 3-4 lb. squaws and to me that is a little to big.Personally I perfer my squaws about 12".
Has anyone used squawfish in the 3-4 lb. range and if so how did you do?

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
12" is good. Ive seen guys use the big ones and caught some real large stripers with them.

krzyfshrmn
06-14-2004, 03:32 PM
I bumped up the size yesterday, and it paid off. 10-12 inchers work great. Allthough I did catch one about two pounds on a 10 incher as well.

Bottom line....use whatever size you can catch. Seems to be a whole lot harder catching the bait than the Stripers lately.

ghetto_fisher
06-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Well, this is a completely noob question, but I'm seeing that you are using squawfish as bait for striper. How are you catching the squawfish? And how long do you spend looking for them? And are they pretty much gauranteed? Meaning, is it worthwhile to get them?

thanks,

krzyfshrmn
06-15-2004, 07:45 PM
My theory is,

If it's swimming in the water that you're fishing, that's the best bait there is. Squawfish, suckers, shad, and bluegill are all natural forage for Stripers. I prefer them alot better than store bought jumbo minnows.

As far as a gaurantee on the Squawfish......there's no gaurantee on anything. I fished for awhile this afternoon with the ole' standby squawfish, and did'nt get bit once. Managed to catch a little bluegill and trolled him around for awhile and BOOM, a 16......................incher that is. :P

ghetto_fisher
06-16-2004, 11:12 AM
How are you hooking the squawfish or bluegill. I may be able to catch some bluegill in some parts by freeport and then go walk around at howe ave to try to get some striper. Are you hooking the bluegill through the top of the lip (by the nose)? or thru the tail? What size hook are you using. I never really fish for big fish, so i don't know how to do this. I mean, i've only used some small lures, minnows, worms, etc... all small. I just can't imagine using a whole bluegill. that should be cool.

Thanks

krzyfshrmn
06-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I hook em' through the nose with a 1/0 hook, and usually use about a #6 treble for a "stinger" hook behind the dorsal fin.

Just remember, you can only use bluegills, squawfish, etc. legally in the water where they were caught.

ken_fishnfool
06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Any backwater or eddy on the SAC seems to have squawfish...we use nightcrawler or liver to catch them.
My friend will NOT use one less than the size and length of his forearm (elbow to hand), this is about 1.5 or 2 lbs.
He uses one lip hook and a dropper which he hooks into the back about 2/3 the way to the tail. It WORKS. We do best if we leave the bait out all night, especially if there is a high tide. 8 to 35 pounds is about right, for a striper! ;)

ghetto_fisher
06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
* *Just remember, you can only use bluegills, squawfish, etc. legally in the water where they were caught.

So you have to catch it there? You can't catch it down river or something???

krzyfshrmn
06-16-2004, 06:46 PM
That's what the rule book says. Your not even supposed to transport any live fish.

I just wanted to let you know, but now that you know, it's up to you what you do. ::) ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-17-2004, 05:09 AM
These same fish as mentioned above work well dead too.
I see guys useing them deader then @#$% *:P and catching fish also. But I like krzy's idea of trolling them...what fun 8)

Lumpy
06-17-2004, 05:43 AM
When we fish the squawfish up river, alot of times we free spool them.That is fun cause you dont know what is taking it. There has been a couple of times when we have got into them thick.I mean we would cast out and by the time it took to click our bells , our line would already be taking off.

Oh I did fish down by Paradise last night and caught one on topwater( 7-8 lbs.)

GearMan
06-17-2004, 07:33 AM
caught a 45 pound striper on a 5 pound squaw at freeport years ago any size will work but we caught to many 20 inchers on 2 lb. squaw so that is a waste of bait if ya ask me

FISHINFOOL
07-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Hey Lumpy,
I was fishing the ramp @ Montezuma Bridge back right after Thanksgiving last year off the bank,had some guys come in w/ther boat give me a sqauwfish about 18-20" @ least,had to go 2-3lbs. Iput that sucker on using a double hook sturgeon rig(as thats what I already had set up) put 1 hook just back of his head & the other just behind the top fin. Within 20 min. I had a 32"-14lb Striper on the end of my line & hoping I could keep him away from the bridge pilings :o,which I somehow did.
So as what was mentioned before @least in this case "Bigger the better"
God Luck all ;)

striper_assasin
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
just thought i would bring this thread back up since the fall striper run will start running soon and people will start asking the squaw fish questions again.for those that didnt believe me hear ya go.big squaw gets you BIG striper!

Dlee
08-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Whatever I found works. I usually catch them about 3-5" over here at the american river sutter park.

The stripers that bite them are around 20-25". I've yet to catch a sqawfish bigger then that though. Maybe next time we'll see.

Chinook
08-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Check out the picture of this striper this kid caught on a 15 inch squaw at Ord Bend last week. Go to pros reports and to chinook guide service. By the way blue gill are not legal because they are a game fish and you cant use game fish for bait.

pulper80
08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh no! Not the old "using bluegill for bait" argument again...

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=striper_salt;action=display;num=1118 953974

BassJack
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Does anybody ever use live bait in the delta? I'm talking about the Decker Island, Power Lines, Sherman Lake area. Are there squawfish down that far? I've heard of people using live bluegill in that area but never squawfish.

I've tried catching them on salmon roe but haven't had any luck. Do you fish in areas of swift current or stagnant water. Is any particular tide best in the delta for catching bait?

Striperman
08-26-2005, 08:51 AM
I have no clue about the delta but in the American i always catch em in stagnet water. Any break in current will most likley hold squas. And yes bluegills are legal to use as long as they come out of the same body of water you are using them for bait in!

Striperman

Silver_Streak
08-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi guys. I'm still trying to figure out how to catch the squawfish. What size hook, bait, etc.? It sounds like some of you also rig the baitfish with a stinger near the tail? ???

Striperman
08-26-2005, 09:07 AM
I use a small salmon egg hook with a small piece of cheese. They will also bite a small panther martin. If you wanta catch some bigger ones use the panther martin. Although i did catch one the other day on cheese that was probably a couple pounds!! :o faught like he!!

Striperman

sturgeon_dreamer
08-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes pikes are good in the antioch pittsburg area. A friend was using a pike one day last year down by the pg&e plant off one of the sloughs and slammed a 30 pounder

Silver_Streak
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Striperman! ;)

Seceret_hole
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Definetly the case here....bigger is better!!!

joe_tomlinson
08-26-2005, 07:16 PM
3# squawfish for bait, wow! that would be fun to cast. I guess you would need a big rod. Or you could click your bail, and just let it swim away. I prefer squaws about 8", so I can cast them with the rod I usually use.

Seceret_hole
08-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Joe T, You don't cast a 3# squawfish, you through it out by hand about 12 feet from the bank ;D.

I use a 7'9" G loomis heavy/magnum with 10# maxxima(cowboyline)...Good times!

joe_tomlinson
08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
So I guess you would be using a spinning reel?

Seceret_hole
08-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Baitcaster only....

Seceret_hole
11-17-2005, 12:31 AM
;Dhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/Image003.jpg

striper_assasin
11-17-2005, 11:37 AM
aww thats a baby,lol. ;D