PDA

View Full Version : techniques for trolling

marine47
12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
for years i have fished off the bank for stripers, i now have a boat and would appreciate if anyone could give me some tips about trolling for stripers. the past year i just drive my boat basically to the spots that i used to bank fish..i would really like to troll for them because i know thats how you get into the big ones.....any info would be appreciated semper fi

locations would be great also

Fishtale
12-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Trolling is relatively simple. There are a couple of popular presentations and I'm sure the guys will tell you their favorites. I troll with a broken back rebel. They come if different colors and sizes. Check with a trusted bait store and they will tell you which ones are catching fish. I like to fish the rebel approximately one to two feet off the bottom. The lure will drop one foot for every ten feet of line you let out. I usually fish in 9 to 10 feet of water. I troll at 1.5 to 2.5 MPH. I vary the speed. I fish with just the rebel with a small rubber worm trailer. Some guys fish with a spreader, with a buck tail jig on one end and a rebel on the other.I use this set up in deeper water up to 20 feet. Again, a bait store can show you how to rig it.My favorite place to troll is Decker Island, Franks Tract and Mildred Island. Good luck. Semper Fi URAH!

marine47
12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
hey thanks alot, i have a bunch of broken back rebels that i bought from some guy at a yard sale. anyway, do you fish with the current or against it. were you in the corps?if so which unit were you in....

Fishtale
12-07-2004, 07:21 AM
You fish with the current, against the current or across the current. I do all three until I find one that works. I spent 10 years in the Corps. I was with alot of units. I was with Ninth Marines in Viet Nam. I was with 11th Marines when I was discharged. Semper Fi

ifish4fun
12-07-2004, 11:25 AM
BBR's are the way to go with a worm trailor more action in the water. I generally fish Hogback and Steam boat slough fish the edges in 10 - 15 feet of water. I also vary my speed. Good luck be safe and above all have fun

Rusty_Hooks
12-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Its reassuring to know that marines remember that fishing is important!! ;D ;D VMGR-152..C-130's, Chu Lai to Khe Sahn 1967-1969...

I'm currently working with a marine from 26th marines that I carried up to Khe Sahn in 1967...It gets to be a very small world!!LOL...Now, back to fishing... semper fi..RH

Oh by the way...My granddad use to take me trolling for stripers with a Pikee minnow, very similar to broken backs, If you can find a green and black pattern rebel or paint one yourself :o I think you may find some interesting results. outflow channels off the high tide, at the turn!! ;)

marine47
12-07-2004, 04:47 PM
well thank you guys so much for the information....i was with fifth marines and the 31st meu...my dad was in vietnam...i have nothing but total respect for you fishtale..from one marine to another thank you for serving this great country.....semper fi
back to fishing....i will definately be putting the tips you gave me to work

Hoss
12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Marine47,

Had a great time up at Amador this past weekend..... Let me know if you need a fishing partner for the striper season.

marine47
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
hoss, you let me know when and we are there.......lets get the pickle fired up and head to the delta.....

Hoss
12-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Sounds good, With all the tips we have gotten here I say we hit the Delta. The Pickle is ready to go.........

fishyfishy33
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
how long should the worm be on the back hook? it seems like it would create short strikes with the fish grabbing that with no hooks in it... or does this not create any problems?

marine47
12-10-2004, 04:20 PM
i went to a tackle shop and asked and they directed me to the right ones....

hey hoss, were in that fri after aot for sure did you find a day?

northriver_tom
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
where are you fishing at...

Alan_E
12-10-2004, 08:26 PM
OK All the info is great here...lol...I am trolling at 2 (fishfinder speed) The FF marks fish at at 15ft....The depth of the water is 20 ft. I am trolling a bbr....How the heck do I know that the bbr is at the right depth? I let out line but how much? This can't be "Rocket Science"! ??? Line counter? Against the tide? With the tide? HELP? ???

blue_chrush
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
mmmmm downriggers are a sure way or a wieght release so you know right where the bait is...if not,,getting to know the angle and math for the planners is a hit and miss kinda thing.. and you know you want to be at 12-15ft...
fish look up almost 90% time and so anything above them is good...the lure will produce noise/movement which they will find...fish in dim light can see like 25ft so you should be good.. if your using a planner then keep track of your line and make mental notes on how it worked....

ps....the boys told you all the good stuff.. but,, I saw one thing that I do that I didn't see up there,,, and that is if you are using lures then I always use sents.....
like smelly jelly in shad/anchovie,ect. rub it all over the lure and clean your hands well,,and don't get it in your eyes, :P. this is used by almost all good guides and guys who know....also I like crockidiles and the rotory killers as they are a little cheaper than the FBRs....
go get-m....
;Dsteve

Hoss
12-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Marine47,

Lets go drag some broken backs and fill up the nets!!!!!!!!!!!

marine47
12-11-2004, 09:04 PM
hey hoss, it sounds like a good plan to me , you just let me know and were there. maybe this time i can let you get into a couple, i will leave the hot lures at home

knof
12-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Yup, definately use scents and I use white worm trailers, sometimes a brown one. As for the strikes not taking the hooks, well it does happen, but more than not they will get the hook too.

You'll know when your lure is hitting bottom cause the action on the pole looks more like a small fish or strikes. When that happens your in shallow water or have too much line out. Reel in a few cranks and you'll be fine. I fish in 10'-12' of water.

For all you military members, go check out www.opfth.com
That is our website composed of a few friends via a cigar smoker forum that adopted a fellow 1st Sgt in the Marines, and his unit. We support and send care packages over to various units. HuRah to all our troops, and vets!

So if you see a cloud of smoke over some stars, its probably me. I fish Disco Bay and Old River areas.

jearl
12-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey Knof,
Have you been trolling Disco Bay lately? Have you done any good?
I was out last weekend trolled Disco for 4 hours... for nadda! Didn't get a single strike.

Jeff

sunracer1957
12-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Alan_E

Get yourself a trolling guide handbook they sell them at most book stores or get one online. It's great stuff theres a world of info on what depth just about any crank bait will run on what kind if line it's an invaluable tool hope this helps...sunracer1957

knof
12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeff,
I haven't been out to Dico Bay since last month. I had a big Holiday Party this last Saturday and have been cleaning the house and preping for several weeks.
Now that the holiday season is over of me hosting, I can get back on the water, but I'm probably heading up towards Red Bluff for one more trip of salmon. Only 4 more weeks on the Sacramento for salmon. I know this is a striper board, so I'll be back chasing stripers soon.

Keith

sunracer1957
12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Interesting article on trolling

www.fishontario.com/articles/spectrum-fishing/index.html

marine47
12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
hey thanks for the link......it was helpful

Fishtale
12-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Try this link.

http://coastsidefishingclub.com/drupal/?q=node/view/53

marine47
12-17-2004, 09:26 PM
hey fishtale! that was a great link. thanks for the info....i felt like i was getting a fishing lesson from my drill instructor...i will be taking all of this information and putting it to work when the spring time rolls around......thanks again semper fi

Fishtale
12-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Marine, you're welcome. The guy that wrote that article knows what he is talking about. I use it as my "Guide Book". Coastside Fishing Club is a good source of info. It doesn't cost anything to join. I use it to learn and share comraderie just like the Sniffer. Semper Fi

blue_chrush
12-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Try this link.

http://coastsidefishingclub.com/drupal/?q=node/view/53

WHOA...I've been on coastside for awhile now and hadn't seen that one....it is awsome on the delta,, and sal is the man along with others likd steve from flash fishing according to the guys on the DF&G boats...lol
great artical,
;Dsteve

Fishyfingers
12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Speeding up or slowing down the troll has in some situations been the deciding factor of whether or not I caught fish.

10-15_FISH
12-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Fishtail, Nice post, great information.
Some of the info new to me. I found it to be helpfull
Thank You
10-15

Fishtale
12-25-2004, 03:16 PM
10-15 youre welcome.I have learned alot from Sal and am happy to share his article. That's what this forum is all about. Hope it gets you some big fish ;D ;D ;D

marine47
12-28-2004, 04:18 PM
thanks to everyone that responded to this topic...i had no idea so much info was willing to be shared
semper fi

SEEKER
12-31-2004, 11:01 AM
Marine,check your IM`s

tattooed_angler
01-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Sunracer and fishtale good stuff guys will read. tiger

Mr_Ed
01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
If you are on the Sac. river, try this trick!
Put on a 8-10" Black plastic worm , Texas style and toss it at the rivers edge while drifting down stream .
P.S. 12 pound test minimum!!

FF_MYRL
01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
SEMPER FI! "DEVIL DOGS"

Fishtale
01-05-2005, 09:13 AM
SEMPER FI to all Marines on this board and especially those over seas. Uh-rah ;D ;D ;D

derbingel
01-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Trolling... now that's my style of fishing and for big Stripers! *;D

I've trolled Franks Tract since the 60s mainly utilizing 5-6" Rebel blue back/silver bottom minnows and sometimes broken backs, but I've found a lure, which has brought me more success than I ever had with the Rebels.

A little more expensive, but well worth it. It's the Rapala 4" Husky Jerk Suspending/Rattling Finnish Minnow in the black top/silver bottom series.

It has a swim depth of 4-8' and perfect for trolling Franks Tract along the tulle line during the outgoing tide.

My biggest Striper (38lbs.) was caught with this lure at an opening in the tract near Sandmound Slough and I've had much success using it here in Clear Lake... all while trolling.

Many Largemouth Bass in the 4-7 lb. range with a personal best of 9.3 lbs., two large Channel Cats back to back while trolling Bass Alley (20.7 lbs. and 22.7 lbs.), and, surprisingly, many large carp... most of them hooked elsewhere besides the mouth!

I've found them cheapest at Wal-Mart for $4.97 a pop, but well worth the cost...

Can't wait until the Stripers start their pre-spawn run! * ;)

marine47
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
thanks again everybody, i cant believe the number of responses to my question....i now live by the sniffer, i have learned so much since my first log on semper fi

marine47
01-26-2005, 08:48 PM
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A U.S. helicopter crashed in a desert sandstorm in the early morning darkness Wednesday, killing the 30 Marines and one Navy sailor aboard.

god bless our troops

Bootsforwalking
01-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Welcome to the boards derbingel. That's a great post.
Keep 'em coming. Let us know when the "pre-spawn" run starts.

derbingel
01-27-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks!

I was referred to this site by a good friend because I was having some difficulty searching for information about Striped Bass fishing in the Delta.

It's a great site! All the information I need is here.

I'm hoping the spring run will be in early or mid-March.

For the interim, I would like to get in some practice runs at Lake Mendocino, but they keep the dang reservoir too low before, and after storms. Too much debris in the water and sunken trees sticking out all over. I've been there twice last year trying to troll... nothing but snag city. :P

I would like to make some adjustments to the lures I will be using before going to Frank Tract, so I'm hoping the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers will allow Lake Mendocino to fill up.

When the run begins, you don't want to be out there making adjustments while everybody is at stiff competition for your favorite trolling area... :'(

FRIDAY
02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Does anyone use wiggle warts or are those just for salmon?

FRIDAY

14_blast
02-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Has anyone ever though about modifying their lures? I went fishing last Sunday and was successful. I don't think the lure modification attracted more fish, but it did appear that the hookup was more secure. I replaced the last treble hook on my bomber with a nickel barrel swivel with a swoosh gamakatsu 5/0 hook. I also attached a 6" white grub.

The water was clear, but there was so much debris out there. There was this one hookup where the line was tangled up with a log, as soon as we freed the line from the log, the rod bowed in half and the reel started zzzzingging.

dogfish30
02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
A fellow at the ISE show showed me something different. I haven't used it yet, but I made a couple up. Instead of putting a worm on the back hook of your BBR, take a squid skirt and cut the head off. Then take the back hook off the lure and slide the squid skirt up on to the tail of the lure. Then put the hook back on. The skirts are made by Pline and are size 45. It is a little more work than just poking a worm, but it looks pretty good. Naturally the guy at the show said he slams the stripers with this. Good Luck, DF30

SwimswithFishes
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I went with a guide a few years ago and we only did ok with that hoochie rebel concept. He even put a grub on the trailer. I tried it a few times after that with 0 success. I switched back to a BBR with a worm or grub trailer and I catch stripers again.

If you use a trailer on your BBR, make sure you put the grub on the bottom hanging hook of the trailing treble hook or else it messes up the action of the BBR. Just my $.02.

retired
11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I use a white 8in worm on my BBR. The name is Zoom worms. Also if use Power Pro line or any line of that type. You will find that the BBR will dive deeper with that type of line. Take your rod and reel at home and pull line off your reel until the line guide goes from one side to the other side.Measure that amount of line. Then when you are trolling. Count each time the guide goes back and forth. I go out about 160 ft from the boat. That is about 10-12 times on the line guide on my reel.I used a Abu 6500 reel. Make sure your BBR is running straight along side the boat before you let your line all the way out. 2-3mph is a good speed. Good luck. We are going out on Friday. Hope we do as good as we did last week. Retired ;D