PDA

View Full Version : 10/29 Powerlines report

swikmo
10-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Its been a while...........

One ounce eddie and I are back in the mix only this time we have been been offered the use of my good ol'e buddy mr.watson's boat,yay...no more cold mornings on the bank!Fishin in style,so we get to the spot where eddie caught his first and keeper sturgy last febuary under the second set of powerlines.The outgoing tide was kickin pretty good and it wasnt very long before the bite picked up.Eddie was using fresh shad and I was soaking mr mudsucker.I saw the report on no fresh shad but was lucky to get some in isleton at the master baiter and then haps had some so guess we got lucky?We also tried pile worms with no luck which was weird.Eddie had the first in the boat which was about 25 inches.I gave up on the mudsucker and threw the banged shad and five minutes BAM,fish on and the reel was screamin.I knew this was striper and sure enough after a good 10 minute battle a short 37 inch sturgy that was released without even leaving the water.Baited up again and 10 minutes later another one but a tad shorter.Talk about adreneline pumping.I was sure the next cat would be the keep ive been trying for for about 5 years now.A short time went by and eddie hooked up with another 20 incher when my pole almost flew off the balance rod.I grabed it just in time and fought this fish for 5 minutes or so and landed a fat 30 incher.We have no scale so not sure of the weights but it was phaty.When the current changed we tried over by collinsville with no luck and headed in.Over all we both got our strper limits and when eddie gets the pix developed I will post.One thing,I know this is a sturgy question but I know one of you will know.Eddie landed an awseome 25 lb salmon hen last week up here in sac and with all the roe reports I saw I thought I try it.I bought this net stuff that you are suppose to wrap up in.Whats the best method and hook?I just rolled it and threw it on a 7/0 pointed owner.I got tons of bites on it and once even set the hook on something but moments later lost it.Any details on this would be mucho appretiado as eddie would say.Also what else nibbles on those roe sacks besides sturgies,I was getting destroyed by them.All in all its great to be back and mad props to hairy ashtray for the boat,cant wait to get out there again,you rule!

Swik"theresanewcaptainintown"mo

http://www.cwo.com/~cstrawn/rvstriper.jpg
http://www.cwo.com/~cstrawn/swiks30.jpg
http://www.cwo.com/~cstrawn/eddiessacsalmon.jpg

donzitroller
10-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Swikmo, thanks for the report and congrats on the stripers! Keep at it, you'll get your keeper sturgy. With roe, I use silly string to slap it right on the hook with no netting. Who knows what bites your roe down in the depths.. could be anything. Watch out for the big sturgies, they'll nibble like a shaker striper. I hope to get out there soon, my favorite area, never know whether you'll get a striper or a sturgie. Surprising bout the piles though.. and the gobie too. My fave last year was a pile/shad combo, caught many a striper and a keeper sturgy too. Hooked and lost a few BIG fish, knew they were sturies but never got em close enough to the boat to see how big. A boat sure changes things for ya doesn't it?

FISH ON!

doneli
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
donzitroller can you give us some information about your combo set up (how you set it)?. i have read your reports about it and i am kind of wondering how you do it. any information will be gladly apreciated. thanks in advance.

doneli

donzitroller
11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
doneli, I run the combo two different ways, either one is good.. first, a 7/0 or bigger hook. Sometimes I use khale sometimes octopus. Thread the pile up the hook and bring the point out halfway through the body. This will put the pile a ways up your line past the hook. This will leave you plenty of room to add your butterflied shad. I like this setup when you are catching a lot of shakers, keeps the pile on longer. If your bait gets hijacked, leave the remaining pile on your line and add another. If there are shakers, you will usually just lose the hanging tail of the piile. It's a lot harder for them to get the threaded pile that's threaded up your line. If there aren't as many shakers, like last spring when the run was in full swing, I like to crimp a 2/0 siwash gami onto the leader above your main hook, kind of a sliding hook setup. Add the pile to the siwash and the shad to your main hook. When fishing the powerlines, you have a good chance of hooking up a sturgy and I think the pile helps those odds. Not to mention stripers will eat a pile as well. I caught one keeper sturgy on the first setup last spring and lost a few others. Maybe it will help ya, maybe it won't, but I like to boost my odds wherever I can. Every little bit helps! Good luck!

FISH ON!

doneli
11-02-2005, 04:46 PM
thanks so much donzitroller for the information. i am going to give it a try. i haven,t caught a sturgeon yet, but i am working on it. i usually set my kids' rods for striper and i set mine for sturgeon. if i see them getting some action then i change over mine for stripers. now whith your set up i have the chance to hook either one. thanks again. and good luck to you, hopefully you can get your salmon soon and concentrate on stripers ;)

doneli

donzitroller
11-02-2005, 07:24 PM
doneli, just keep in mind that that shaker striper bite you are seeing may be a sturgeon bite! Around the powerlines, you just never know!

FISH ON!

swikmo
11-08-2005, 08:25 AM
As promised.........the walk!