PDA

View Full Version : ??.South Bay Stripers.?? (dumbarton area)

afkvrts
10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey all,
Since I live in Fremont I'd like to try fishign for Stripers in the small sloughs south of the dumbarton bridge. *I have taken my kayak in these waters to fish for sturgie's but have only hooked up with some large bat rays. *Now I'd like to try and attack the stripers ! *I can cast a lure or I could drift bait. *However I dont know what or how to proceed. *The water is pretty shallow in most area's but I do know of a few holes which are about 15 feet deep. *How will I know the stripers are there ?

What would you all advise ?

Thanks in advance,
-A * ???

Fixed my spellings :)

14_blast
10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Did you check the Brass Rail or the Pink Poodle?

afkvrts
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I fixed the spelling problem. Now, is there any info out there about fishing for STRIPERS in the Dumbarton Bridge Area ? ? ?

Please advise:

-A

afkvrts
10-07-2005, 09:49 AM
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

SO ARE THERE NO STRIPERS IN THE SOUTH BAY???

WITH ALL THE FISHERMEN IN OUR BAYS IS THERE NO INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT???

-AFROZ

h00kie
10-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Might not be anyone targeting the stripers in the s bay from this forum at this time. I for one am curious as well and was hoping someone would chime in but I think your fishing circumstances are kinda one of unique. I do not remember reading of any post from the past re kayak fishing in any of the sloughs that you mentioned.

One thing that I recommend is fishing it with lures. You could try using swimbaits (soft & hard baits) or using topwater (zara spooks) if the conditions are right. I've read of 1 0z crokadile or castmasters being used in the bay. From my understanding, fingersize anchovies are plentiful there right now so lures that mimic them might be the ticket. Drifting live bait such as smelt, anchovies or bullheads might also get you fish. You can do this by using a 3-way swivel set-up or the sliding set up.

Try 'em out & please post when you do as the info in that particular area are few and far in between. I'm sure you and I are not alone in trying to find as much info about the south bay.

afkvrts
10-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey h00kie, Thanks for the info and encouragment.
I agree that im unique ;D ;D

How do you know there are finger sized anchovies there.
I've been out there about a month ago and there was no signs of bait fish. ???

Also where do you recommend I try, in the shallows next to the weeds, in deep holes, the flats?

Send me some more info!!! PLEASE :)

The closest info that I've read is below:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=west;action=display;num=1128211715

snapoffmode
10-07-2005, 12:27 PM
every time i've driven by those sloughs i've never seen any kind of action there...but then again..i was flying on the freeway too. how deep are those sloughs? i would think the best time would be at high tides....look for neap tides for a better chance...spring tides will probably be hit or miss unless there is a spot that fish gather around. i've never fished from a yak before but i would think working lures around structure (look for some current) or working shoreline would work. stripers in the southbay...it's a mythe isn't it? ;) let us know how you do dude! sounds like a lot of fun.

ratss427
10-07-2005, 05:33 PM
i really doubt there are many bass(numbers)still in the south bay.but for the sloughs,try a 3/4 oz blue/silver kastmaster with the white bucktail.never let me down in the bay in the spring/summer!many 10+ fish days were had on them in the bay. ;)

Double_D
10-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Did you check the Brass Rail or the Pink Poodle?

which one of these very fine places is right of 237 and I think Lawrence exp way in Sunnyvale ;D I was there once for lunch. ;D

blue_chrush
10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
that would be the BRASS RAIL.... :o ;D

you can troll pencil poppers in there all day
and not catch any stripers....
strippers now that different bait all togather....lol

Double_D
10-07-2005, 06:33 PM
that would be the BRASS RAIL.... :o ;D

you can troll pencil poppers in there all day
and not catch any stripers....
strippers now that different bait all togather....lol

now how about a gibbs deep diver would that work? 8)

blue_chrush
10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I've had the best luck on large live bait.....
they really jump on that stuff... ;) ;D

it cost a little more,
but you will almost always score... ;D ;D

ps.
you have to be careful of the fish there
as its probally not safe to eat... :-/ :P

Double_D
10-07-2005, 06:57 PM
LMAO..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Double_D
10-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Ever try that lure lotion...they sell it in the bait shops ;) I think it's called Smelly Jelly, put it on your lure and it drives the fish crazy

ratss427
10-07-2005, 07:08 PM
remember,its not the size of your pencil popper.its how you work it.! ;)as for the smelly jelly............. :o ??? ;D

Double_D
10-07-2005, 07:09 PM
;D