PDA

View Full Version : Fall Striper run has begun!

jearl
10-22-2004, 04:52 PM
The cooler than normal air temps had me trolling for stripers in the South delta today...first time this fall. Mossdale area.
Water Hyacynths were everywhere! Caught a lot of salad, but also caught one nice 7 lber. Dropped my line back in and within minutes had a monster on the line. Sucker fought fought hard fora minute then the line went slack... FRIGGIN HOOKS BENT! I have no Idea how big it was....musta been a good size though.

Looks like the fall run has started.... the water temp was right at 60f. Can't wait for the greenery to flush out to sea!

Jeff

christopherjake
10-22-2004, 05:21 PM
The same friggin thing happened to me last weekend. The hook on my Rat-L-Trap bent and the monster got away. I was so #%%#$% upset.

RR
10-22-2004, 06:01 PM
i've been fishin sonoma creek & napa slough (i.e. trolling)for the last 6 weeks. no monsters yet! last weekend was the first time i was skunked. caught 8 keepers so far,mostly schoolies between 4 to 6 lbs.did catch 1 over 10 lbs.i'm thinking about drifting bullheads tomorrow while the tide is running & trolling when the tide is slack.

waterdog
10-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Doubt that the fall run has really started. The lower water temps are whats turning on the striper bite. When the run gets going you will be hearing about lots of BIG stripers being caught from SF Bay, Decker Is., the Rio Vista bridge and etc. I cant wait!
Tight Lines
Waterdog ;D

RR
10-22-2004, 10:03 PM
i don't believe the run has started yet either. we would be hearing about hogs,real hogs, a lot more. i sure can't wait either! i only have a small john boat,hope it will get me out to at least a couple big ones!

Fishtale
10-23-2004, 08:43 AM
With this weather, if it hasn't started, it will now!!!

Kapn_Krusty
10-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Yep, it's true.

I was shooting sardine off the bank yesterday and got slammed hard. I just started to play it when it began stripping my line, quickly snagging me, and then left the SCENE OF THE CRIME. Whatever it was, it was big, vicious, and a darned shame it got away! :P

KK

jearl
10-25-2004, 03:09 AM
What should we be looking for in the way of Ideal water temps for the delta Striper run?

I was told 55f to 65f is Ideal.

Here is a link to the current water temps in the delta.

Jeff

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/getAll?sens_num=25&get_basin=8101&sort=

JasonB
10-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey R.R have you been trolling up near the old railroad crossing by wingo / turkey point in sonoma creek I here they have been nabbing a few big ones up there but I also agree that the run has yet to really start they are still getting really good numbers of fish out in the bay

donzitroller
10-25-2004, 07:10 PM
jearl, thanks for the link, that went into my favorites. I think the stripers have started to becomre more prevalent due to the water temps, but the bulk of the run is still a few storms away. Time to get out the broken backs, sliders, and bait threaders! My freezer is full of salmon, now it's time for some of the "other" white meat! As for the Rat'L Traps, try putting some stiffer hooks on them, they are constructed for bass fishin. Looking forward to it, as I'm tired of burnin gas chasin salmon. Nothin like a Sunday afternoon listenin to football and soakin a mudsucker! FISH ON!

RR
10-25-2004, 09:15 PM
JasonB-i'm not sure exacly where you are talking about.the place i've been having the most luck is whith in sight of the hwy. 37 bridge-just upstream.i'm not sure if this spot is best or if the time i'm at it is best.i've caught all the fish trolling at the top of the tide plus an hour or so.the funny thing is i have all these beautiful lures and i've caught most everything on a 1/2oz. redhead i buy at wallmart for about a buck each!i'm surprised i've caught anything trolling there since the water is so muddy.with this rain it's time to start bait fishing anyway.let me know some of the landmarks so i know where you are talking about.

christopherjake
10-26-2004, 09:33 AM
The temperature is definitely dropping as the days go by and I'm getting more and more excited about the striper run. Can't wait until the weekend! If only I can fish for a living, damnit!

tankgrunt
10-26-2004, 05:47 PM
What should we be looking for in the way of Ideal water temps for the delta Striper run?

I was told 55f to 65f is Ideal.

Here is a link to the current water temps in the delta.

Jeff

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/getAll?sens_num=25&get_basin=8101&sort=

Saturday the water temp in Monty and Suisun Sloughs was at an even 60f

jearl
10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Well guys,,, our air temps hve been way below normal for over a week. We haven't even see a high temp of 70f in quite a while... some days we barely see 60f.

The water temps are dropping... are they there yet?

Jeff

Christopherjake
10-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Is it that time yet? ;D

striper_assasin
10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
as secret already stated the run has been on guys and gals for the last couple weeks.already hooked a bunch between 10 and 20 pounds.all depends on where and how you fish=)should stay strong like this for a few more weeks.if your not using the right bait,then you wont be getting into them YET=)

jearl
10-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Another fall run just around the corner.
For me the magic date is Oct 1st for Vierras salmon and Nov. 1st for east delta Stripers.

Jeff

14_blast
10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Jearl,

Modify your ratltraps by replacing them with 4X trebles. We boated a 13lb striper at the pump house in San Pablo, one of the 3 hooks in the treble was bent, good thing the other 2 hooks dug in.

Donzitroller,

I only burned 1.63 ($4.88) gallons of gas trolling 10 hours yesterday using my 6hp kicker.

jearl
10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Not bad on the gas.... I trolled 6 hours near vierras.... My gas gauge didn't even move. My guess is that I get a little over 10 MPG at 750RPM. ( About 3 mph)
My Motor is a 135 Volvo.

Jeff

donzitroller
10-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I only burned 1.63 ($4.88) gallons of gas trolling 10 hours yesterday using my 6hp kicker.
That's exactly the reason I've got a kicker on the back now! ;D

fishkiller
10-06-2005, 03:30 PM
8)Fished seal Island and the sand bar on the southside 5 stripers to 11 pounds big shad butterflied and live bullheads on last of the income moved to middlegrounds for outgo by the firing line picked up 3 more 5# 7# 16# all released on bullheads. 8)