PDA

View Full Version : San Luis Res

GreatOne
09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has fished San Luis Reservoir lately. It's been a while since I've been there and i wanted to see if the fishing is at least okay. If anyone has any reports, please post. Thanks.

fbanaria
09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I was there last night bank fishing by Romero's. Just one hit (the kind done by a shaker) but didn't stick. The weather is still warm in this area. The winds were mild but picked up in the evening. They say the fishing here improves in the fall time. Can't wait because I have been skunked in this place 3 times now. Previous to that, I caught only shakers.

Happy Fishing!

h00kie
09-22-2005, 07:03 PM
FF408, HotSpot & I did an overnite fishing trip this past friday in the main reservoir. We hit the bank next to the rock wall before Romero. Bait of choice was sardines. FF408 was on fire pulling in over 15 fish upto 25". I guess it was Dre' Day!

FishinFool408
09-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Just one of those lucky days, that's all. ;D It must've been the fool moon! ::) I'm gonna be back at it tonight if anyone is gonna be around that area...

GreatOne
09-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Yah, I've been out there a couple of times this year only and the fishing there isn't as great as past years. Oh well, that's why it's fishing. We were due for a off year since the last three years there has been so good. Thanks everyone and continue fishing and posting reports!!

Los_Banos_209
09-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Been out to see whats going on since my bro from San Jose was out on an all nighter 2 weeks ago and I couldn't make it. Was out yesterday limit with two 19 inchers and today caught 15 / 18 to 20 inchers and put them back in for them to get bigger. I like hitting something that will give me a good fight like them 20 to 25 pounders that I caught last year at dino point. Wind was not to bad yesterday but this morning it was kicking in but not like right now its blowing good out there now, so my all nighter is off. Maybe early morning again this time at the forbay to see whats going on there heard there was a 30lbr caught from the forbay and another in the delta mendota. All caught on chovies, also some top water action but nothing big yet give it till the end of next month maybe.

fbanaria
09-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Hey LB 29,
I scouted the Forebay the other day before I decided to go to Romero. The water is fishable, but that green algae is just too bothersome in the forebay right now, of course, when fishing from the banks. Hope that algae clears out because I had good success at the Forebay. Anyway, still nothing compared to the surf aciton we had this summer in the ocean, but stripers are stripers, and they put up a good fight no matter where. Right now, the main reservoir look more fishable than the forebay.
Happy Fishing!

striper510
09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
I was out there last Sunday 9/18/05. I was fishing and caught a 26" 7lbs striper right around sunrise. hooked another bait & didn't even have a chance to light a cigarette when I caught another, 27" 8lbs. It was a great day. Might be out there again this weekend. I was fishing at the basalt area. Just inside the gate. Soaking a shad. They are beginning to run in the area.

Richy
09-26-2005, 08:35 AM
It's nice to see some Sniffers making the rounds back at Ol' San Lou again. *:)

This summer was so stinking hot out here, that I hardly went out there at all during the months of June and July. And when I did, the fish were rarely on the bite. But right now, it's real nice out there, and the fish seem to be real hungry from their long summer eating lull.

Well, hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there in the coming months. Just send me an email if any of you guys want to hook up for some fishing all right?

Good Luck! *:)

kouasupra
09-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Been out to see whats going on since my bro from San Jose was out on an all nighter 2 weeks ago and I couldn't make it. Was out yesterday limit with two 19 inchers and today caught 15 / 18 to 20 inchers *and put them back in for them to get bigger. I like hitting something that will give me a good fight like them 20 to 25 pounders that I caught last year at dino point. Wind was not to bad yesterday but this morning it was kicking in but not like right now its blowing good out there now, so my all nighter is off. Maybe early morning again this time at the forbay to see whats going on there heard there was a 30lbr caught from the forbay and another in the delta mendota. All caught on chovies, also some top water action but nothing big yet give it till the end of next month maybe.

http://www.fresnobee.com/ips_rich_content/704-092005fish.jpg

Anthony Aseltine caught this striper that weighed 32 pounds and measured 43 inches. He got the fish on a Rattletrap lure in the Delta Mendota canal by Newman on 10 pound test line.

h00kie
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
That is a huge fish! Gotta wonder if a fish like that spent majority of its life in the canal system. Is there enough bait in the canal to sustain a hog like that or would it be feeding on its own kind being since there are plenty of shakers in the canal?

fbanaria
09-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Good question Hookie. It is intriguing if that fish was resident in the canal system, or just migrating from the Delta down south. I tend to lean on the latter, that it is migrating (or pumped down by force perhaps?) through the canal system.

GreatOne
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
that is quite a hog!! Hopefully, i'll catch one of those soon this winter at the reservoir. last year during christmas, my brother in law caught a couple of nice ones along the dam. i'm looking forward to nailing some big ones on my 9" ac plugs!

put_em_back
09-26-2005, 05:03 PM
That is a huge fish! Gotta wonder if a fish like that spent majority of its life in the canal system. Is there enough bait in the canal to sustain a hog like that or would it be feeding on its own kind being since there are plenty of shakers in the canal?

Different than the Delta Mendota canal, but I remember breaking down near Bakersfield on the way home from LA and catching ride with the tow truck driver. Man, was I surprised when he told me that they were catching 40 lb+ stipers out of the aquaduct down there.

They figured that the fish were pumped in when they were young and grew up there. Lots of area to run and lots of food.

Makes you wonder how far you can get to LA and still catch fish in the aquaduct.

Just don't fall in. The walls are supposedly very mossy/slimey.

onlyzero
09-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Last minute run to D.P. from Monterey, Sun. afternoon.
Fished from 5 to 7:30ish. 2 rods, 1 w/shad, 1 w/anchovie...
A couple little bumps, I think... very light, but no
fish on or landed. Lots of bait on surface. Tried w/
popper... zero... Doesn't mean I won't be there next week,
conditions seemed great, lite wind and cooler H2O, etc.
Seemed that guys coming in w/boats caught fish, but worked
most of the day for 20" to 25" fish. Limits for some, but
not most.

Onlyzero

striper510
09-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Will be heading out there in the morning. Hope to see some of you all out there. Be on the lookout for me around the Basalt area. Wearing a big red jacket. Or at least til the sun comes up. HAHAHAHA

Farrier_Frank
09-28-2005, 05:18 AM
Hey Richy... good to see you back on line. I'll be coming back thru your country Oct 15th or 16th. Maybe we can get together again and soak some bait and you can give me some more tips on catching some of those San Louis strippers.;)

Richy
09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Sounds great Frank, just let out a Hi Ho or three when you get out to this neck of the woods, and I'll throw some dried beans in the pot, and put on a chicken *:D.

Now, without absolute clarification on your last post recieved, I would have to say that some fellahs out here really have been scoring with some rather nice sizable strippers in this general surrounding area lately *:P .

And come to think of it, actually the same thing could be said of the stripers too *::).

So, with that being said, I would have to suggest that you pack along a fairly good amount of various baits for the entire trip. Some dried sardines, and or, anchovies for the one. And, if needed, a rather decent roll of ones, for the other.

See Ya Soon,
and happy trails,
Richy *;)

Farrier_Frank
10-01-2005, 07:05 AM
LOL Richy. I'll give you a call when I know the exact day I'm coming thru your area -- Did you get the boat fixed yet? ;)