PDA

View Full Version : A few HDR images

NorCal2500HD
06-14-2009, 01:48 PM
A few HDRs I found when I was going through some of my files. The Program used is called Photomatix. 9 Images were used to create the final image....from 2 stops under exposed to 2 stops over exposed. All shot in RAW, then a few minor tweeks done with photoshop CS3.

Bronze statues:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/norcal2500hd/Misc/Bronze-Kids.jpg

Local rec center:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/norcal2500hd/Misc/Sillmancenter.jpg

Fire Station:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/norcal2500hd/Misc/station1.jpg

YakMotor
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
NorCal - REALLY LIKE the statues shot! *HDR "lighting" effect adds to the fantasy feeling of the scene and figures. *I'm curious about the location and what the art is about. *Your others also appeal more to my taste than other HDR samples I've seen. * Many HDR'ers push tone mapping way beyond realistic.

I've dabbled with HDR software on a few images with less than pleasing results. *I participated in a dpreview group buy for "Dynamic Photo HDR" because it seemed to offer some unique controls for manipulating single images. *My little bit of play with it produced some good highlight shadow tonal range improvement, but along with that came a LOT of gritty *looking noise. *I haven't tried it yet with a series of pics shot for HDR. *I've only used it on a couple from my file I had auto bracketed.

For readers not familiar with HDR (High Dynamic Range) it's a shooting and software manipulation process that puts more tone range into a image than a single camera shot can provide.

Feb. 2008 I shot a series with the idea of trying out some HDR software I'd read about. *This is the interior of the lodge at Amador. *The two top images are from different HDR software, but I forget which.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9129/hdrlodgesample.jpg

With the camera on a tripod I took ten picture range changing the shutter speed on each. *At 1 second you see the interior features. *At 1/125th of a second the interior has gone black, but the outside scene is visible. *Our amazing human eye/brain mechanism gives us the ability to adjust our exposure on the fly. *A camera can't. *It has a set range of tones it's capable of recording. *The camera's shutter and lens opening combine with the sensor's sensitivity adjustment (ISO) to determine if the picture will come out too bright, too dark, or just right.

HDR software combines the series of shots so tones bright to dark are combined in one. *This electronically combined image is not able to be displayed on a monitor or printed because it contains information beyond the tonal range capabilities of those devices. *The next step in the process is tone mapping. *HDR software gives various means of tone mapping adjustment from realistic to over the top for special effects.

Because it takes time to shoot a series of pics used for true HDR it's usually not good for outside scenes where water, wind blown tree leaves, people, or vehicles are moving. *A car may be in one shot, but gone in the next. *Moving water and leaves produce a kind of ghosting.

This is another area of digital photography that can provide hours of FUN and learning frustration!

metalmouth
06-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Wow that is some great stuff! The kids in the park are ghostly. :o

Chief_Sniffer
06-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Here's a HDR shot from the coast.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/allenbonslett/HDRTest4.jpg

NorCal2500HD
06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
The City of Newark commissioned a artist to make a bunch of these statues for the sports complex/ rec center ( pic under the statues). This group of statues sits in front of the main building. There are a few more sets placed in a few different locations. About 3 weeks after these pictures were taken, someone hacked all of them off at the feet with a sawzall and made off with them ....terrible.

I believe photomatix has a demo u can use on their website.

żżż
06-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Interesting. Seems to be a digital photog phenomenon. I like the results - very cool!

There was a technique in film photography where you double-exposed the negative. I don't suppose theres a 'double-exposure' equivalent in digital photography, is there? I guess that's what PS is for. Can you tell I don't have a digital SLR? :D

YakMotor
06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
NorCal - Thanks for the info on the statues. ARGH! I suppose the idiots were after scrap metal. Years ago when I lived in rural south Sacramento I saw sparks on the horizon outside the window one night. Turned out a gang of wire thieves were out in a field cutting down live power lines for the copper.

Chief - Nice view of the coast. Has kind of a tight "S" curve to it that stair steps from near to far.

Mooch - You don't need a fancy dSLR to join the digital imaging age. Tiny (relatively inexpensive) digitals these days produce very respectable results. I don't recall seeing any digital cameras with a double exposure feature tho there may be some. It's easy to accomplish the effect using image edit software like PhotoShop (PS) that lets you work with stacked layers. Each layer can be adjusted to allow lower ones to show through.

My photo signature line text is put on a separate layer so I can move it where I want then fade it out to make it subtle.

Darin
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Awesome guys. They all look great. So is HDR and layering the same thing?. I played around with Corel's "Art Media Layers" and it was interesting. I will have to see what I can dig up. Great Topic ;)

FFG

Darin
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Just realized Corel has a HDR merge. You can align up to five images. Much easier than layering. Pretty cool stuff. I'm going to have to give it a try.

FFG