PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating your Monitor

Darin
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
It is important that the colors represented on your monitor are reasonably accurate and meaningful. For example, red should really look red and not like a shade of orange or purple, and 50% gray shouldn’t look like light gray or dark gray.

In Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo, you can use a wizard that steps you through the process of calibrating your monitor so it displays accurate colors. At the end of the process, you can save a color profile for your monitor and apply the adjustments. I just found out my monitir was way off. I founf out the hard way after haveing some prints made at the print shop. When I picked up they were much more vivid and brighter that what I was seeing on my monitor. After calibration my pictures look much different and changes now need to be made to pictures that I edited in the past. If you plan on printing your pictures you should also calibrate your printer. If you are useing photoshop I'm sure it has this same feature.

To calibrate your monitor
1. Choose File Color Management Monitor Calibration.
The Monitor Calibration wizard appears.
2. Click the Maximize button .
Maximizing the dialog box eliminates distracting background colors.
3. Follow the instructions in the wizard, and click Finish to exit the wizard.
4. In the Save As dialog box, type a name for your monitor profile in the File Name box, and click Save.
If you have Administrator privileges for your computer, the profile becomes the active monitor profile.
If you do not have Administrator privileges for your computer, a message appears informing you to contact your System Administrator to install the profile.

• You can also calibrate red, green, and blue tones for your monitor by marking the Advanced options check box when it appears on a wizard page.
• You can clear the calibration settings for a wizard page by clicking Reset

FFG

Chief_Sniffer
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
In OS X on macs, you can software calibrate through the 'Displays' panel in the System Preferences.

Software calibration is pretty much a ballpark type of result compared to using a hardware type like the Spyder from Datacolor. Pay attention to the difference between a print and what you see on your display and you can make small adjustments before printing.

YakMotor
06-09-2009, 01:33 AM
FFG - I don't have Paint Shop Pro so can not follow your procedure.

I use Photoshop and do remember diddling with a program called Adobe Gamma which I believe does about the same thing. *For me it was a use once then forget it procedure. *Since then I've also tweaked adjustments on my monitor and from my video card control panel.

While there are books written about monitor and printer color calibration and specialized tools sold to help accomplish it basic process doesn't need to be that complicated. *

If you don't have an image editing program to help you with monitor calibration there are still ways you can test and make adjustments on your own.

This first link has three good quick visual checks you can do right away ... before the writer goes on to talk about calibration devices which the article is really written about. *Just look at the highlight, shadow, and gamma to see if your monitor is in the ballpark. *For me I found I could just barely distinguish the 254 white. *On shadows only the 20 so I'm off a bit there. *When I squint my eyes to blur the lines the gamma *tones match so my monitor is set good for gamma.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

Gray tones are where you want to look to discern color balance. *I've used what's called a 18% gray card for years to help adjust both camera exposure (because that's what most camera's auto exposure averages a scene out to) and for color balance reference in the darkroom. *This is a test shot I took about 1980 using Kodachrome slide film in my old 35mm camera. *I digitized the slide a few years ago with a film scanner as a reference for how I should adjust color for my subsequent scans. *The 18% gray card is above the f4 and a 90% white card next to it.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/285/testcardshot.jpg

The shot above had value for my past calibration purposes. *The gray scale found at the link below will be of better help for you as a reference for calibrating your monitor.
http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

Your monitor should have front panel controls that adjust brightness, contrast, and color. *Best way with them is try different settings back and forth until gray scale tone separation and neutral gray color looks good. *Making note of the control settings before you start changing them is a good idea so you can set back to where you started if necessary.

I've found on a few monitors I've used the control knobs don't always give me the best calibration. *A second place you can usually change color is in the Windows Display Properties control panel. *You can get to it by right clicking at a clear spot on your desktop then go to the "Settings" tab and then the "Advanced" button.

What you will see there depends on what video card is installed inside your computer. *There should be something about color adjustment. *Once you find that again make notes of the settings BEFORE you change anything so you can fall back if necessary.

This is what mine looks like. *Note: I can adjust using a visual graph and individual colors with channel selections.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5410/displaypropcoloradj.jpg

If you Google "monitor calibration" you'll get a load of results you can also checkout for something more complete than my attempted short explaination.

¿¿¿
06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
At work we have PC's that have monitor/video card auto calibration via a 'puck' (much like the one spyder uses). *Pretty cool. *I used to do video display calibration for home theaters and I tell you, this auto calibration thing is the way to go. *WAY easier. *Just step it through a few wizards and it corrects luminance and gamma automatically. *It has manual adjustments to get it just right.

The monitor is specifically for diagnostic imaging, so accuracy is pretty important.