PDA

View Full Version : Auto photo-resizing

mkmullaly
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I finally figured out how to post a picture with ImageShack.
Now I need to figure out how to enlarge my pics.
Most of the pics I see on the boards are much larger than what I have posted.
How is it done?

metalmouth
09-11-2008, 06:59 PM
There is a box to check for the size you want before you upload the pic off of your pc to imageshack.

troutfan
09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
You are using the code for the thumbnail and you need to use the code at the bottom of the page on Imageshack to post bigger pictures. ;)

YakMotor
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
ImageShack is undergoing some some changes. I suspect they are getting overloaded ... probably by many unknowing folks posting camera originals which are much larger than needed for net sharing.

As you noticed after uploading a pic you get a list of different link formats. What I've always used in the past is the DIRECT link which is now found at the very bottom of the page after you "click" the advance options. For the past couple months they have had a RED LETTER warning not to use the direct link, but I don't know why ... I've continued using it anyway as the other options don't seem to work the way I want.

But, before I upload my pics to ImageShack I edit them for brightness contrast cropping etc then for the Sniffer forum I resize to a WIDTH of 475 pixels which about the max width the forum software permits without cutting off the right side. Most pics done that way will have a files size smaller than 100k which is convenient for both up & download. Camera originals can typically run 10 to 25 times larger.

I got so frustrated a couple days ago at not being able to upload to ImageShack I established an account on Flickr and have made one successful upload and link. But, before I could get the link to work how I wanted I had to edit it. It was a pain of trial & error til I figured it out. More practice and I'll be able to tell you how I did it. I'm afraid ImageShack will continue to have problems so I'm searching for the best alternate option.

zhands
09-20-2008, 03:13 PM
I *have read that *Sniffers are having difficulty with Image Shack. I have not. I posted a butt load of pictures for my Bucks Lake trip w/o problems.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1221140244/0

The largest width w/o cut off for me has been 510. I use an image editing software and crop the pictures and *work with other factors. I pick the ones I want to post and copy them to another file and resize (Microsoft office image program). If you let the site software resize you don't have much choice. Resize before you upload.

With Image Shack :
Go to image
click share it
Go to forums and uncheck full size
copy and paste into your post
Also you should click preview and check content before you click post

One way you can find out size is to right click and check properties/size on a posted picture. I also compose all my posts first in MS Word, it saves time and makes me look somewhat literate.

Hope that helps. Another site I use is photo bucket

Also
MM- Pic Posting: Easy Step by Step!
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1199032800

Z

YakMotor
09-22-2008, 07:12 PM
My experience with ImageShack varies. It's been good the past few days.

Yeah, 510 pixel width works. I like to leave a little for a border effect.

I don't have MS Word so I compose my multi picture posts in a text editor using find/replace to quickly insert all the the IMG codes. Little harder to organize since I can't see the pics until I preview.

I've figured out how to do single picture posts using Flickr. Think it'd be much more difficult for multi pictures ... least from what I've learned about it so far.

I'll have to take a look at Photo bucket. Do you like it?

I thought to check-out Pisca for posting too, but balked when it wanted to install a toolbar. With Google and Yahoo toolbars already in place there wouldn't be much room left for forum display!

Z - Good post on Bucks Lake by the way!

zhands
09-23-2008, 06:51 AM
I'll have to take a look at Photo bucket. *Do you like it?

There was only one time the image Shack was misbehaving and I joined Photo Bucket. Image Shack seems to be more user friendly orÖ. Iím just used to it.

Yak Ö.like you I have avoided the higher level forms of the programs. I donít like things taking over my computer. The more bare bones the better.

The biggest thing for me is to crop and resize before I download. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager and Thumbs Plus to adjust gamma/midtones, saturation, contrast, brightness, hue, sharpness, resize etc. I do the auto adjustments first and see what that does to save time. Some days the light is good, some days not.

It takes time but for me the memories are timeless. Especially for this reformed bait dunker. This has been an incredible spring and summer. I have over 40 days on the water this year and they are all preserved. I donít think I will ever get bored with this sport. I never envisioned fishing as artistic and as a thinking mans sport. Being one that thinks too much for his own good.

Z

SHigSpeed
10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey Mods,

On most of the other boards I frequent, if you link to a photo location, it automatically resizes to the frame size of the forum

Here it spills over. I know you request that we resize prior to posting, but that's quite time-intensive.

Any help here?

Thanks!

_SHig

CJC
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
SHigSpeed

If you upload the picture to ImageShack there is an auto resize feature,It resizes to 320x240. But I can tell you that the time you save from resizing you waist in uploading. It takes longer to upload the bigger pictures. I resize with Googles Picasa and you can resize multiple images at the same time by pressing the control button down as you select the image.
http://www.imageshack.us/
Good luck.

SHigSpeed
10-11-2008, 02:47 PM
SHigSpeed

If you upload the picture to ImageShack there is an auto resize feature,It resizes to 320x240. But I can tell you that the time you save from resizing you waist in uploading. It takes longer to upload the bigger pictures. I resize with Googles Picasa and you can resize multiple images at the same time by pressing the control button down as you select the image.
http://www.imageshack.us/
Good luck.
I understand how to do that, however I save all of my photos on Photobucket at max resolution, so to go an re-save them all at a smaller res is just an extra step.

One thing, for Imageshack to resize your photo, it has to upload them in full first, THEN re-size, so no gain there...

I'm asking nicely if someone could spend a few minutes to configure the board to auto-resize?

That way the fit of oversize images still works, but if you click it, you can enjoy the photo in full rez.

Worth a shot...

_SHig

metalmouth
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
There isn't any auto resize on this software unfortunately. :-/

SHigSpeed
10-11-2008, 05:42 PM
There isn't any auto resize on this software unfortunately. *:-/
Sugar...

Time to upgrade! :)

_SHig

YakMotor
10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Since I've been active in the forum there have been (I believe) two major YaBB software upgrades. *On the first I was really "miffed" because photo sizes were reduced from 640 pixel width to the current maximum size of approx 500 pixels across. *It seemed a step backward so I grumbled about it. *There were pros & cons and the bottom line is I had to learned to live with it.

After awhile I actually appreciated it once I realized that size is just a small part of a quality photo presentation. *A lot of shots I take are distant wildlife so the smaller "window" of the forum lets me crop tighter to show my subject even closer. *Sometimes my shots aren't tack sharp. *Reducing the size to fit the forum makes them look better.

_Shig - Your photo essay of your day on Heenan is excellent. *You showed overall scenic views, close-ups, and scene setting shots showing the snow. *You even got a big shot in by making it vertical. *You spent a long time selecting then arranging your shots to tell the story ... then you accomplished the time consuming task of posting. *To me that is the hard part.

I like to edit and enhance each of the photos I think are worth posting. *I've been doing Photoshop for years so it's like second nature. *I can make 98% or so pictures out of my camera look noticeably better by editing. *Cropping to cutout anything distracting or un-needed in the frame is usually my first step. *If the horizon in a pic looks off balance too much I'll also correct that when I crop. Next I adjust brightness and contrast to bring info out of the dark shadows and tone down areas that are too bright. *After that I'll fix color cast balance and adjust saturation. *Next I resize and sharpen. *I have made a "action," a programmed series of steps, to put the double thin white and thicker black border around my pics and it also inserts my credit line. *Once that is programmed one "click" and it's all done and ready to be saved for uploading. *Hope you don't mind me enhancing a couple of your photos.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/422/shigselfshotnc7.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2474/shigssnowypontoonsrg3.jpg

For multiple picture posts like yours I put all my edited photos in one sub-directory so I know where to find them and then I "Zip" them all into one .ZIP file. *I upload just this one file to ImageShack which automatically opens and unzips and then provides the links for posting. *Unfortunately the order of the photos in ImageShack is messed-up so this is where I take steps to organize the sequence I want for posting. *I use a text editor to compose my posts offline so to speak. *Couple benefits of this is if I hit a wrong key or my net posting window crashes I'll still have my work saved. *My text editor has never crashed.

Using a thumbnail view of the pictures in my posting directory I can see the order I want and thus copy and paste the link lines from ImageShack to the text editor in proper order. *I put a space between the lines to later make it easier to add text. *By using the "find & replace" function in the text editor I automate adding the IMG codes to the links. *Still using the thumbnail pictures as reference I do my write-up and picture captions. *I run the spell check in the text editor as the final step. *Once everything is OK in the text editor I select it all then "click" to copy it. *I toggle back to the sniffer posting window then paste it then preview. *I proof read the preview and check to see the photos are there and in proper order. *I make any minor changes then I post. *Keep working with your GREAT photo story posts and I think you'll figure out methods to make 'em more efficient.

So while the forum does have it's "quirks" on a positive note the recent upgrade now allows us to post .SWF Flash images which I have been experimenting with.

foresthill_fishin
11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
This is just a test trying to dial in the size of my photos
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee65/garciajcsh/Picture203.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee65/garciajcsh/Picture203700x525.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee65/garciajcsh/Picture203700x525-1.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee65/garciajcsh/Picture201500x375.jpg

foresthill_fishin
11-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Bingo got it Thank YOU!

Joel ;)

YakMotor
12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
The Preview button below the text entry window will let you see what you are testing without the need to post it.

foresthill_fishin
12-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks got it just trying new things cant figure out how to take what someones wrote and post not in a quote but have the box around it ...... :D

<(((><_-_--__----__----_--_-__----------

Joel

drstressor
12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
cant figure out how to take what someones wrote and post not in a quote but have the box around it

Copy the text, highlight it with your cursor and then click the "insert quote" tool. It's the 12th one from the left on the toolbar, between # and sup.

Captain Compassion
05-02-2009, 04:58 PM
There is a very good piece of freeware called Irfanview that has all kind of photo editing and manipulating features. One is the ability to take multiple photos from a directory resize them and place them in another directory. I resize everything at 448 X 336. Never lose anything.

http://www.irfanview.com/

CC