PDA

View Full Version : Sturgen advice Fishing For The Week?

gopedxr
07-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Great board we have here. So this is whats up, since the high pressure has kept the water smooth enough for me and my 12fter to get out to the mothball fleet to do some sturgen fishing... I would like to get out there tomarrow after school to try my luck... Would anyone have any advice for fishing for them and stripers out on the water between the crocket bridge and the mothball fleet?

Thank you! Will come back with Pictures!

nhbfishin
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
my advice is stay close to the ramp incase it gets ugly. Try deep water between 35 and 65 feet. I would not go out in a twelve footer. did that once at the gate shark fishing was very calm then seven foot swells thought I was going to die.

gopedxr
07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
my advice is stay close to the ramp incase it gets ugly. Try deep water between 35 and 65 feet. I would not go out in a twelve footer. did that once at the gate shark fishing was very calm then seven foot swells thought I was going to die.

Wow, tell me how were those ft swells looking at that point? The other day we were out there and it was very smooth because of the warm weather.

BassJack
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM
In a 12' boat I would either launch at Belden's Landing and fish Montezuma Slough or launch at Vierra's and fish Cache Slough for sturgeon. With the winds this time of year I wouldn't go near any big water. December-February you might be okay.

nhbfishin
07-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Robin chances are it will be smooth due to the warm weather.. But big water can change on you quick. After my experience I will not chance it. Its just not worth it to me. Captain had some good advice. For me I was throwing everything off the boat I could and almost in tears I was so scared, that was 12 years ago.

Ex-member
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Winds are picking up again today bringing the Delta breeze back - so no more calm water this week.

SturgeonVirgin
07-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Robin,

That boat is not big enough to take out to the MBF. You have neither the power to get out quick nor the size to ride it out. Launch at Beldens early and fish the slough. That give you an escape route; wind comes up and you cannot get back, tuck er in the tules and fish from there. Might be a while but you will live through it. Put your life vest on and do not take it off.
Rule of thumb I go by, look at weather and whatever you decide is safe, reduce that by half and set it as the go/no-go point.

Safety first bud,

Just my 2 cents.

Lucky_Strike__Rich
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Trade the 12 ft boat for a bigger boat and a safer boat. Buy a new one and finance it for 20 years. Add in the inflation on your dollar, you can sell it in 20 years for what you paid for it and you get the use of it for free for that amount of time. Then you can launch at Benicia and fish the deep water. Fish the turns so you do not have to use so much weight. We did that today and we caught a 42" 46" and a MONSTER 85" Female 200lbs . Be safe or we will all feel sorry.. Rich

nhbfishin
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey rich if you ever decide to start selling boats I think youll be a wealthy man.

FishWisher
07-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Hey, Robin, hope you didn't head out to the big water. It's gusting nearly 40 MPH at Fairfield this morning! :-/

Dale