PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with power pro

birdznest
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Those of you that fish with power pro, spectra and other braided lines. Do you tie your swivel directly to braid or do you doe the san diego style by toppong off with some mono? ???
Thanks
Birdznest

fishinfoool
02-13-2006, 10:08 PM
I did tie power pro to the swivel untill i broke the line on a nice fish !!! i talked to Hippo at hi's tackle and he says do not tie to swivel or hooks he showed me how to tie to a three foot piece of 60# mono. no problems so far.

poker_dogg
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
i use spectra,is there a website that will tell my best way to rig up?ive just tied up to a swivel then my leader.any help would be great. ???

birdznest
02-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks fishing fool thats what ithought. i've broken off that way many times.

birdznest
02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
poker dog check out www.netknots.com
Sweet site
Birdznest

*Deltadog*
02-14-2006, 07:29 AM
What is the purpose of the small peice of mono? Does it break if you put as much weight on your braided line as rated? There are knots that are just fine for tying braided to hooks (egg loop) and swivels (blood knot).
Dog

SturgeonVirgin
02-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Fishing the columbia last year, the guide tied direct to the swivel with the braid; he used a san diego speed knot to tie all connections. The main line was 80 or 130# tuf-line XP, leader was 400# braided nylon. No mono anywhere in the setup. He did have a bumper between the rod tip and the slider, and another one where the slider hits the main swivel; (1/8 inch auto vac line tubing, to keep the knots from getting dinged). He did swear off power pro totally, said too many breakoffs to make his living with the stuff. I don't like to add knots if I can avoid it, one more thing to go wrong...

jon_may
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
power pro has been known to snap!!!!! tuff line has not broken on me yet!

retired
02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I tie it right to the swivel. I did have problems with it breaking off stripers when trolling.Then Mark Wilson told me to use a 3-4 ft mono leader.No problems after that.I landed 140 stripers last year and never had one lost because of the line breaking. I will never used anything but POWER PRO. Retired

mel
02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
I use a surgeons loop on the end of my mainline and loop my swivel through. It's very strong and easy. Caught many a big fish that way using 65lb Power Pro, looped on the end and a swivel attached to 65lb wire leader. Sometimes I snag up and pull on the mainline until it snaps but it never snaps at the knot. It happened to me the other day, I snagged up and had to break it off and when I broke it, it snapped at the wire, just after the first crimp.

tankgrunt
02-14-2006, 09:34 AM
When I re-spool I am going with Tuff Line based on my experience last spring in Oregon. I have had a couple of snap offs in the last couple of years while using Power Pro, but I don't think it was bad enough to totally scrap all my line.

striper_assasin
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
tuffline>powerpro
way to many mysterious break offs!
however instead of wasting my 80 pound powerpro,i transfered it onto my penn international and use it for striper fishing,lol...no break off's yet.yeah a lil bit over kill but its still 17 diameter and better than wasting expensive line.

kn6xu
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I've never used Power Pro. I do use Stren Super Braid @ 65LB test. I usually tie directly to the swivel with a palomar knot. So far no break offs but (and a BIG one) I have yet to hook a leagal sized Dino.
Just my $.02 since no one has mentioned Stren Super Braid.

FishFry

fishinfoool
02-14-2006, 06:43 PM
from power pro website

Spooling Up

Unlike monofilament, PowerPro will not stretch on the reel and cling to the barrel. This can result in line sliding around the barrel, which can seem like a problem with your drag mechanism. Rest assured, your equipment is fine. To avoid slippage, attach PowerPro to your spool using one of these methods:

If your reel has a hole or knob on the barrel, use it.
Leave at least 5 to 10 yards of monofilament on the reel (enough to cover the bottom of the spool) before attaching PowerPro with a Uni to Uni splice.
Put a piece of compressible tape on the barrel before attaching PowerPro.
Setting the Hook

Anglers on Saturday morning TV shows often set the hook in bass like Samurai warriors beheading the enemy. This may be a fine technique with monofilament line, but PowerPro doesn't require such a violent motion. When you get a strike, relax; a gentle snap of your wrist will set the hook. Because PowerPro doesn't stretch like nylon lines, you won't get that rubber-band effect. Every inch you move your rod tip equals an inch of movement at the lure.

Setting your Drag

PowerPro lines are so small for their strength that you may be tempted to set your drag higher than normal, but remember, your rod or reel may not be designed to handle the same unbelievable loads as your line. To make full use of PowerPro's amazing sensitivity without risking damage to your equipment, try one of the following tips:

Set your drag to match the weakest component in your tackle system.
Set your drag to match the size of mono line you would normally use.
When using ultralight equipment or line (10- or 20-lb. test) set your drag to no more than 1/3 of the line's rated strength. You can check the drag with a fish scale.
At lower drag settings, a little extra line may pay out at the hookset, compensating for PowerPro's lack of stretch.

Fish with Spinning Reels

For optimal PowerPro performance on your spinning reel, we recommend closing the bail manually. While your bait is falling, pull on the line to make sure it is seated firmly on the reel, then begin your retrieve.

Cutting PowerPro

PowerPro is extremely strong, and nail clippers won't cut it. We recommend sharp scissors such as FiskarsŪ for kids, which are inexpensive, easy to find, and have blunt ends to protect your pockets.

Coloring PowerPro

Spectra Fiber is an especially dense material that cannot be permanently dyed. The color simply encapsulates the line and will wear away with time. This is normal and does not affect the strength or performance of the line. To re-color your PowerPro line, simply use a permanent magic marker in whatever shade you prefer.

Retie your Line

Although PowerPro is extremely strong, it isn't indestructible. If the line starts to look frayed, especially after fishing around structure, it's probably time to cut off the worn section and retie. This way your line will always perform at rated strength.

Repack your Line

If your line starts to feel soft or mushy on the reel, especially when fishing with light baits, you should repack your reel. Make an extra long cast or let the line out behind your boat, then reel it in while holding the line taut with your fingers. This will improve casting performance and keep the line from "digging in" after a solid strike.

Using a Monofilament Leader

Attaching a monofilament leader to your PowerPro line may prove useful in the following situations:

When bait or jig fishing requires extra finesse, especially in clear water, use a 3-foot monofilament leader to cut down on line visibility.
When fishing for species that strike hard and fast, use a monofilament shock tippet. For close-in situations such as bait fishing, try a 3- to 10-foot tippet. For big game applications, you may want to use up to 100 yards or more.
CAUTION:

PowerPro is remarkably thin and strong. To avoid injury, never wrap it around your fingers or hands. If you need to break off the line, wrap it around a solid object and pull.

doneli
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
i use power pro on all my fishing reels (4, wife, two kids and mine) and never had any problem. i like it. i use 50lb test for bait, trolling, jigging etc. on spining and baitcaster. i heard about guys having break offs but i haven't had any one yet. just my experience.
DONELI

birdznest
02-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Definatley more than I expected on the feed back. Because my callcutta 400 is already spooled with 65# power pro, and I have been broken off numerouse times I will try the 4 foot peice of mono on the rig. As far as the break offs. I read that power pro has a light wax coating that easily flakes off while spooling, winding and casting with a level wind reel. The wax coating also comes off when it's rolling around the bottom of the river. So the mono is a great idea.I guess this rule doesn't pertain to other braides that have other types of coatings.
Going out friday, DELTA ;D