PDA

View Full Version : 2006 regs!!!!!!

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-14-2005, 08:07 AM
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/05freshfishregbook.pdf

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
This was giving to me reguarding the landing/boating of over/undersize fish.

Section 1.62 of Title 14, California Code of Regulations, states that
"Unless otherwise provided, all fish, mollusks or crustaceans less than
the legal minimum size must be returned immediately to the water from
which they were taken."

I would argue that oversize sturgeon (greater than 72 inches total
length) are covered under Section 1.62.

I would further argue that bringing an oversize sturgeon into your boat
to pose for a photograph would not be considered "immediately".

I've spoken to a Fish and Game Warden Lieutenant that works in the San
Francisco Bay area, and he has confirmed my understanding of this
regulation.

I hope this helps,

Ed Roberts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edgar W. Roberts III
Marine Biologist
California Department of Fish and Game
4665 Lampson Ave Suite C
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
562.342.7199 Office
562.342.7139 Fax
310.291.8862 Cell
eroberts@dfg.ca.gov

dimpala95
04-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Why can't DF&G come up with something like their hunting regs?

Amended 2004

251.1. Harassment of Animals.

Except as otherwise authorized in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, no person shall harass, herd or drive any game or nongame bird or mammal or furbearing mammal. For the purposes of this section, harass is defined as an intentional act which disrupts an animal's normal behavior patterns, which includes, but is not limited to, breeding, feeding or sheltering. This section does not apply to a landowner or tenant who drives or herds birds or mammals for the purpose of preventing damage to private or public property, including aquaculture and agriculture crops.

New section filed 11-14-90; operative 11-14-90.

I guess hooking and catching a fish would be considered a technical violation.

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Plus you cant see it till you get it up to the boat/shore :-/ I think ???

dimpala95
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I agree that an anti harassment law will be hard to make as you actually have to hook a fish. Then you have to out last them to actually catch them. This is unlike hunting where there is no physical connection like fishing line, one shot one kill.

Lucky_Strike__Rich
08-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Sturgeon is by far my favorate fish to fish for and I think the Regulation should say. NO OVER SIZE FISH IS TO BE BROUGHT ABOARD for any reason. The reason why is because a fish that size spends its whole life in the water and it is brought aboard to remove the hook, pictures or what ever and the poor thing is now placed on a hard surface like the floor of you boat. The weight of the Sturgeon has the tennasie to rupture the insides. Also as being as we are talking about Regulations. I would like to see all night fishing outlawed. This would put alot of POACHERS out of business. This would also protect some of our lakes from over harvesting. The people driving Toyots would have to stay home at night instead of Rapeing Indian Valley. Example)Rich

FF_MYRL
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Why would you want to punish all the law following sportsman, by taking away night fishing. All they need to do is enforce the laws we already have.

It sounds like the same thing as the anti-gun people wanting more laws and restrictions. All that does is take guns away from people who follow the law.
guns don't kill people:people kill people

triggerfish
10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Im with FF-MYRL We don't need any new laws here in california.I don't know if you notice EVERY Jan. 1 there are about 1500 New laws on the books. >:(

striper_assasin
10-07-2005, 01:33 PM
ditto FF_MYRL 8)

JIM_D.
10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
ditto FF_MYRL , we have enough laws, what we need is the ones in force to be obeyed. JIM D.

birdznest
11-23-2005, 01:22 AM
All poachers must !@#$%^ing hang! :o

MB_Kevin
11-25-2005, 03:03 AM
I would like to see all night fishing outlawed.
What :-/ That is the only time I like to fish ??? well I like to fish anytime but that is my favorite. you cant ban it. I know some are trying here at the beaches. Poachers will do it whenever if they cant do it at night they will do it during the day. If it is definitely over sized I can see letting it go in the water but what if you need to measure it. Then it would have to go into the boat if it is just about 6' it could be the perfect sturgeon you are letting go.
I don't have this problem. I cant even catch an under size sturgeon :P but still want to try at night.

misfits
12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey rich saw your toyota driving poachers out on IVR three weeks ago funny they go out to go fishing wonder what they needed those high powered rifles for? It was good and windy and they got what they deserved a banged up boat.

Chris

wildturkey
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree with FF_MYRL, I have been fishing in this state for over 50 years and have seen literally thousands of laws passed that were supossed to curb this or that and all that it did was hurt the law abiding people. Some to the point they quit fishing/hunting due to confusion over what not to do.
You have to wonder that if over a thousand laws are passed ( none of which are for the law abiding) each year and the old saying of "ignorance of the law is no excuse", how can the wardens know "all" the laws and apply them ???

skyhigh
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
MORE LAWS WON'T DO A THING TO HELP STURGEON!!! All this picking on fishermen latly has go me mad. Like these small issues like, BRINGING A OVERSIZE ABOARD, FISHING AT NIGHT, AND EVERYONE IS SCARED OF POACHERS. The strugeon is declineing in population because of big issues like pollution, water to So-cal, the delta has been on the decline for longer than I have been alive. Just ask an old timer about the hay days of striper and sturgeon galore. We have slowly screwed up are eco-system. And I don't mean the law biding fisherman. Yes we should do are part, (hey I put back keepers too) but we are not the reason for the sturgeon decline, the big players need to get there head out there #$@ and realize what is going on. I am not that bad guy and neither are you.

fishrman4life
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Sturgeon is by far my favorate fish to fish for and I think the Regulation should say. NO OVER SIZE FISH IS TO BE BROUGHT ABOARD for any reason. The reason why is because a fish that size spends its whole life in the water and it is brought aboard to remove the hook, pictures or what ever and the poor thing is now placed on a hard surface like the floor of you boat. The weight of the Sturgeon has the tennasie to rupture the insides. Also as being as we are talking about Regulations. I would like to see all night fishing outlawed. This would put alot of POACHERS out of business. This would also protect some of our lakes from over harvesting. The people driving Toyots would have to stay home at night instead of Rapeing Indian Valley. Example)Rich

Fish and Game itself brings fish aboard its boats to tag and release them. Most of the time, they are on the floor of the boat first. And as far as poachers go, I propose to you the same thing I did in another post of this issue, look in the DFG website for "sturgeon" and look at all the poaching rings busted and how many people this year have been busted doing it. It isnt like the DFG is sitting on its hands while letting these poachers get away with it. Rings and individuals are busted almost weekly, but it is only the big rings of 10, 12, 20 people that I hear about because one person being busted isnt worth the web space.

jon_may
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Sturgeon is by far my favorate fish to fish for and I think the Regulation should say. NO OVER SIZE FISH IS TO BE BROUGHT ABOARD for any reason. The reason why is because a fish that size spends its whole life in the water and it is brought aboard to remove the hook, pictures or what ever and the poor thing is now placed on a hard surface like the floor of you boat. The weight of the Sturgeon has the tennasie to rupture the insides. *Also as being as we are talking about Regulations. I would like to see all night fishing outlawed. This would put alot of POACHERS out of business. This would also protect some of our lakes from over harvesting. The people driving Toyots would have to stay home at night instead of Rapeing Indian Valley. Example)Rich
i think if it's close, you can bring it aboard to measure, but if it's obviously too big(or too small)it must be released in the water immediatly....no pics,no measurements..... something i can say, sadly, i am guilty of :'( :-[