PDA

View Full Version : Tides?????

hqly2001
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I thought I had the tide thingy down.. but now i'm more confused..
There are two high tides in a day. The highest one is the incoming and the lower of the two tides is the incoming.. right? and in between is slack tide right?
Can someone clarify? Thanks!

tankgrunt
01-25-2006, 07:26 AM
There is 2 high tides and 2 low tides per day. When the tide is going from high to low, that is the ebb tide. When the tide is going from low to high, that is the flood tide. When the tide is all the way at low or high tide, and is not moving, that is the slack tide.

kn6xu
01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Well put TankGrunt.....

FishFry

hqly2001
01-25-2006, 09:05 AM
so there are two incoming adn two outgoing tides?

sunracer1957
01-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Check out the tide link and you can see the changes for each day..

http://www.songslinger.net/tidebook.htm

hqly2001
01-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I understand that sunracer.
I'm just confused whent he terms incoming and outgoing are used. I thought that the highest tide of the day is the incoming.. and 12 hours later.. the other high tide is the outgoing.. maybe i think too much..lol..

tankgrunt
01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I understand that sunracer.
I'm just confused whent he terms incoming and outgoing are used. I thought that the highest tide of the day is the incoming.. and 12 hours later.. the other high tide is the outgoing.. maybe i think too much..lol..

2 incoming tides (or flood tides), and 2 outgoing (or ebb tides) per day. The tide swings are not equal, and can vary greatly on the same day. It is not unusual to have the drop of one ebb tide be 2x the size of the other ebb tide on the same day. The same holds true for the flood tides.

Next time you're on the water pay close attention to direction and strength of the current. Also watch the change in water surface elevation on the pier, rocks, channel markers, or whatever other stationary object sticks out of the water near your position.

These are all really important factors in fishing within the tide waters. Remember what all these conditions were when you have success, and also remember what they were like when you don't have success. After a while you'll start to notice trends.

Brettskih
01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Incoming is also affected by how much flow is coming down from the mountains.In that case the incoming may be slower or not as strong as the out going.A good example was during New Years.