PDA

View Full Version : chabot 8-10-05

skolnuts
08-11-2005, 10:46 AM
o.k * a freind and i moved hear three years ago from the east coast *and havent really fished since * *so we diecided to go back to old times * and go to chabot *after paying 30 somethng dollars for a state liscense *we were surprise to find out *we *had to fork over for a daily liscense *O.K *strange * getting to the marina we waited for 25 minutes to rent a boat because the ONLY employee working at the time was making 5 pancake breakfast's with no help. finally we get on the water * * * * * now with all the weed lines and structure plus the many baitfish schools we found * we thought we hit bass heaven * *wrong * *we managed quite a few hits *but did not land em * and to top it off our boat battery's died and it took two hours to get from bass cove to the marina * we called the marina from the water *and no one answered to come help us * also there were no adults to talk the problem out once we finally got to the marina * furthermore we dont even think there are any fish in chabot * *with all the money *california residents pay * just to drop a line in the water the state should be planting so many fish * for us to catch * * if it wasnt for good friendship * we would of had a terrible day * bass fishing in cali is so much more of a hassle then we expected * * we are used to walking down to the local river for free and catching quite a few *making for such a relaxing day * * *? * why even fish in cali any more

FishinFool408
08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I agree with you that rates for fishing licenses are starting to go thru the roof. *But, as far as not catching any bass at Chabot...well, I guess that is the reason they call it fishing and not catching. :-/. *Now that you have your license, make good use of it and just keep at 'em and you might want to try an alternate spot to improve on your success. *Good luck...

super-mat
08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Hahaha. I've had those days. Little tip for you... if you want to have a "normal" fishing experience that doesn't cost an arm and a leg fish somewhere other than an East Bay Regional Park. It is my belief that their whole goal in life is to ruin my fishing days! On the other hand, some of their lakes have got nice fish in them. But don't base your opinion of california bassin on East Bay Lakes, get out there and fish some normal-not-so-regulated waters.

freddy45
08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
o.k * a freind and i moved hear three years ago from the east coast *and havent really fished since * *so we diecided to go back to old times * and go to chabot *after paying 30 somethng dollars for a state liscense *we were surprise to find out *we *had to fork over for a daily liscense *O.K *strange * getting to the marina we waited for 25 minutes to rent a boat because the ONLY employee working at the time was making 5 pancake breakfast's with no help. finally we get on the water * * * * * now with all the weed lines and structure plus the many baitfish schools we found * we thought we hit bass heaven * *wrong * *we managed quite a few hits *but did not land em * and to top it off our boat battery's died and it took two hours to get from bass cove to the marina * we called the marina from the water *and no one answered to come help us * also there were no adults to talk the problem out once we finally got to the marina * furthermore we dont even think there are any fish in chabot * *with all the money *california residents pay * just to drop a line in the water the state should be planting so many fish * for us to catch * * if it wasnt for good friendship * we would of had a terrible day * bass fishing in cali is so much more of a hassle then we expected * * we are used to walking down to the local river for free and catching quite a few *making for such a relaxing day * * *? * why even fish in cali any more
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! Chabot is about the closest lake to me and it has become a horrible lake for fishing! Out of the about 6-8 times I've gone there since I got my license in early June, I've only landed one trout and thats it. I told myself not to go to Chabot anymore, because the fishing there is awful! Yes, and the money issue really ticks me off aswell. Since I am only a college student it is hard for me to pay 4 bucks or whatever fee just to fish for a couple hours! If you go to www.norcalfishing.com and check out the current fishing conditions you can see how horrible Chabot has become! This past week there was not one bass or trout reported!

Beaver13
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree with you guys Chabot sucks a??. When i lived in Pleasanton i fish there 2 to 3 times a week 9 out of 10 times nothing nada zip.I realised the delta was much better and worth the drive over the hill to relax and catch fish now we just have to do somthing about the price of the fishing tag. (Hey Arnold Whats up) >:(

redherring
08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Chabot isn't what you call a "bass lake" nor, like Super-Mat said are any of the other East Bay Regional Park Lakes. Their are some "big" bass in them but they are usually very difficult to catch. The only thing you can really catch in those lakes are farm type trout and farm catfish if your into that. If you want to catch some black bass you will need to travel to either Lake Berryessa, Clear Lake, or The Delta, which are probably the the nearest withing the Lake Chabot area (Clear Lake is actually a few hours away, but a very nice bass lake). Both the lakes have boat rentals, but I am not sure where in the Delta you can rent a boat. The Delta is a very unique waterway system where many bass tournaments are held throughout the year and is one of my favorite places to fish. You can also check out www.westernbass.com for more california lake information and reports......

Hope that helps......

skolnuts
08-12-2005, 12:13 PM
hey all the replies are cool i kinda felt bad being so negative and all but hey it was a poor experience
anyways yeah the delta is a target of mine but it seems as though you need a boat to really fish it plus there is so much wakeboard activity ive seen people fishing from the rocky edge but that doesnt look to appealing does anyone have a delta bass area suggestions thanks in advance

ChabotTrout
08-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Think what you want to think about Chabot but I have caught my limit of trout there numerous times. Oh and cats too. You just gotta put in your time. You can say it sucks but thats your opinion.

ChabotTrout
08-14-2005, 02:33 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! *Chabot is about the closest lake to me and it has become a horrible lake for fishing! *Out of the about 6-8 times I've gone there since I got my license in early June, I've only landed one trout and thats it. *I told myself not to go to Chabot anymore, because the fishing there is awful! *Yes, and the money issue really ticks me off aswell. *Since I am only a college student it is hard for me to pay 4 bucks or whatever fee just to fish for a couple hours! *If you go to www.norcalfishing.com and check out the current fishing conditions you can see how horrible Chabot has become! *This past week there was not one bass or trout reported!

DUDE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT LAKE IT IS!! IN THE BAY AREA THIS TIME OF YEAR YOU WILL NOT CATCH TROUT. IT IS WAY TOO HOT AND THEY ARE ALL DEEP. If you go to the lake in two months and use powerbait and still dont catch a trout then you can say the lake sucks. But dont say the lake sucks if you dont know how to fish it.

flyguy
08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
While ChabotTrout's words may be a bit harsh, I would agree with his sentiment. I fish Lake Chabot on a fairly regular basis, and its been months since I've been skunked. While I may not be nailing them, I'm still out there, and still catching, mostly Bass this time of year.

It did take me some time to learn the lake. I won't lie to you about that. I've also exclusively been fly fishing the lake, so I didn't really have anyone to help me out in doing so.

As far as the additional day pass fishing fee, well, it is a bit annoying, but its also used to help with additional non df&g plants, as I understand it. So its ok by me.

While the lake temperature is up, you can be guaranteed that there will be no trout plants at lake chabot. The trout that are there are deep. If I were targeting them, I'd be fishing deep and slow.

The water level is also a bit low on the lake, so fishing right up against the weedlines won't be very productive. Move out a bit from them. As long as there is structure for the Bass to hold in, you should be able to catch some.

Also, just because nobody has reported catching any trout or bass, doesn't mean that there hasn't been any caught. I rarely report any of my catches, since I bike in, and usually fish the bass cove area, and am not down by the marina.

If you do try chabot again while I'm out there, I'll be glad to give you some help. Look for the fly fisher, float tubing, with a rather long beard. I'm kind of hard to miss.

Best of luck, and tight lines!

freddy45
08-14-2005, 09:41 AM
DUDE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT LAKE IT IS!! IN THE BAY AREA THIS TIME OF YEAR YOU WILL NOT CATCH TROUT. IT IS WAY TOO HOT AND THEY ARE ALL DEEP. If you go to the lake in two months and use powerbait and still dont catch a trout then you can say the lake sucks. But dont say the lake sucks if you dont know how to fish it.

uhh...when did i say i went TROUT FISHING THIS MONTH...i went trout fishing back in the end of may and start of june...and just this past late july and early aug. i went catfishing at chabot...and the times i went there WAS TONS OF PEOPLE catfishing and not one catch by anyone during the days I went. *Personally I think the lake sucks and thats my opinon. *I've talked to a lot of people who've fished Chabot a lot that feel the same way so I have more reason to belive in my opinon. *I'm sorry if its offended you, but thats my opinon about Chabot...and flyguy thanks a bunch for the assistance if i ever go back and see you i'll give you a hello!

ChabotTrout
08-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Freddy I'll make you a deal, I will take you out to Chabot in about 2 months when the trout are biting. We will fish a whole day and I can teach you a bit about the lake. If the trout are biting, we will be catching, I guarantee it. If we dont catch anything, you can talk sh** about Chabot all you want. Deal? PM me if you want to go.
ChabotTrout

skolnuts
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
hey there chabot trout dude, why you so defensive about chabot, do you have stock holding's in chabot or something. power bait how boring i never see any body using power bait on any of the fishing shows, why ? cuz its boring after reading this forum it seems as though freedy45 and i are not alone in saying chabot sucks and niether one of us ever said we were fishing for trout
i was after bass if chabot is your honey hole then one would think you may be happy we do not like it there less pressure uh with fishing in this lake costing 40 something dollars after you pay for every dam thing fish should be jumping in the boat heck for that much i should catch 2 on one cast you said if they are biting then we'll catch em thats like saying if you want to catch fish then go to the water ?? where i come all you need is a state liscense thats it and the fishing is great and before you can say it i'd go back in heart beat but it will take alot more to get me back to chabot

MB_Kevin
08-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Ive gone to chabot I think 3 times and never got a fish. :-/ the price sucks but if you got fish it would be ok. If I were you I would go to lake del valle its a short drive and I have never been skunked there. They have boat rentals If you need them but can catch fish from shore. Im not saying that chabot is a bad lake but you must need to know how to fish it because I havent got a fish out of it.

lionkiller
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
[/quote]

Nah. Chabot sucks. Lived 5 minutes away for the past 8 yrs., & it's still not worth the trip,powerbait or no, IMO. I had all but given up on CA bassin till I took a trip up to Clear Lake...which led me to the Delta...NOW I'm back on track. Soaking powerturds for trout was never my idea of fishin anyhoo... ;D

skolnuts
08-15-2005, 08:19 PM
right on lion killer soaking powerturds for trout isnt my idea either you know i've lived here for 3 yrs and finally decided to give bass fishin here a chance it seems to suck it just isnt the same although i cant wait to get to the delta or clear lake, or camanche but i need to get a boat later

Bassfishr
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
The cool thing, to me anyway, about Ca bassin is that you can always find a secluded pond or farm lake to fish in thats 9 out of 10 times secluded and quiet. Never a 15 pounder in any of these, but 8 pounders are not out of the question.....unless you're at Seco.

skolnuts
08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
i'd give my left finger to know where these ponds are at oh please tell me you can send it to me in a private message if you'd like

freddy45
08-16-2005, 11:31 AM
^^same here..please share!

RolandMartinJr.
08-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I guess most of you don't check the photo section on NCBF.com or trophybassonly because there are numerous pictures of bass over 10lbs caught from Chabot and plenty of 13's 14's and even a 17lber. *I've fished Chabot for the past 15 years and have had plenty of great days. *It's just a matter of fishing the lake at the right time and knowing what to use. *The best months are march and april when they spawn and September and October when the water turns over. *Lately it seems to be improving. *I rarely get skunked there. *Most of the bass are in the 10-12" range but there are plenty of 5+lbers. *During the spawn almost everywhere you look around the lake you'll see nice females bedding. I'm glad people are so intimidated by this lake because it really doesn't get much pressure.
The most important thing is to catch and release. *I often see bass being taken from this lake and it kills me that a lot of people just don't give a crap. *
And by the way, I don't reccomend renting a boat since it is a ripoff. I either fish out of my tube or take a bike. They hardly every patrol the lake so a permit isn't always necessary. The way I figure, if I'm not keeping any fish, why should I pay the 4 dollars which funds the planting of trout?

lionkiller
08-19-2005, 01:26 PM
;D YEh, but I'll spend my time learning the Delta or Clearlake, where my chances are better...I know ther are big bass in Chabot (like many other lakes in CA), but I find the overall 'Chabot experience' a bit disappointing ...I'll probably do the mountain bike thing at some point, just because I'm so close. *Last time, I just walked up the Estudillo side (Bass cove, I believe) a nice walk, & the 1st bass on my new Gloomis stick...a new outfit, so it didn't ereally matter what water, as long as it was close.

If you're catching fish there, right on. *I'll be one less yahoo in your way....until next April.

Peace,

s

RolandMartinJr.
08-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Yah don't get me wrong. *If I owned a boat I would fish the delta and clear lake as much as possible. *Those lakes are probably the best bass fisheries in California. *For someone who is limited such as myself, fish the local bodies of water as much as possible because eventually you will learn a pattern. *These lakes in the bay area don't have much potential for limits(besides Del Valle and the shadow cliff back ponds). *Your mainly hoping to get that one big bite a day. *So if you expect to catch a limit at one of these lakes, you will get frustrated very quick and probably never fish it again. *Patience and time is the ticket. *