PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fish is this???

kstone44
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Can anyone help with this one, my wife caught one of these Sunday night at Amador and I have no idea what it is.It looks like a cross between a bluegill/crappie/ spotted bass?http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/3094/image0022gd.jpg
This is my first attemp with a picture hope it comes out.

wetdog
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I'am pretty sure that's BILLY...the sing'n BASS LET HIM GO ! :o :o :o

JIM_D.
07-25-2005, 06:25 PM
LOOKS LIKE A BLACK CRAPPIE TO ME. JIM D.

kstone44
07-25-2005, 06:40 PM
My first thought also but it was as wide across as a fat bass and the mouth tissue was thick not like a crappie. But who knows maybe its a crappie on steroids

Hogsbro
07-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I believe what you have there is a warmouth. *Here is some info on them:

Warmouth look similar to rock bass and green sunfish with a thick, oblong body. The mouth is large, with the upper jaw extending to or beyond the middle of the eye. The coloration is dark olive-brown and it is mottled with dark brown blotches over the body. In addition, they have dark colored stripes extending from the eye to the opercle (ear) flap. Warmouth have only three anal fin spines while rock bass have six.

Warmouth prefer weedy lakes, sluggish streams, oxbows, marshes and ponds. They are a secretive fish seeking cover in rocky banks, stumps, or weed masses to avoid direct sunlight.

Warmouth are not colonial spawners like other sunfish species. However, males do fan out a nest, usually near a rock, stump, clump of vegetation, or other large object. The male guards the nest until the fry disperse. During this time the male will chase intruders off with gill covers spread wide and mouth open, to make himself appear larger. Adults eat primarily crayfish, aquatic sowbugs, aquatic insect larvae, and small fish. Warmouth can take four years to reach 6 inches in length. *Adults usually range from 4 to 10 inches in length with the largest warmouth reported in Ohio measuring 11.2 inches.

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/448/warmouth4xp.jpg

I could be wrong, but with just a picture I'm pretty sure it is a warmouth.

kstone44
07-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks; that looks like we have a match, I knew I could count on someone to come up with this one. I was not aware that we had warmouth bass in this area. This was definitely a first for me to see on the end of the line.

Striperman
07-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Ive caught them before to! I have never knows what they are! haha I just called em rock bass. Idk just a name that popped out of my mouth at the time i got one so thats just what i call em! ;D

Striperman

MB_Kevin
07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
trippy fish I never seen one of those. I would think hogs has it right. that fish looks full of eggs or something.

lionkiller
07-26-2005, 08:09 AM
+1 on the Warmouth diagnosis. Caught a lot of 'em in FL as a youngster. Aggressive little fish!

trout_man
07-26-2005, 01:54 PM
i would have kept it thinking it was a crappie. funny looking thing.

Yankee
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I caught 4 of those warmouth last week, wasn'y sure if they were bluegill or crappie. I caught 4 of those warmouth on senko. The ones that I caught all look big and very fat.

panfish_popper
07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
It looks like a LM Bass mated with a Bluegill and had that thing!

lionkiller
07-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Link to warmouth ID page:

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=65

kstone44
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
That links states that the california state record is only 12oz. Heck with a little luck I can have the state record for warmouth bass ::) ::)