PDA

View Full Version : Band - Update

gadgetman
01-10-2010, 08:46 AM
One of my blind partners said there were some ducks in the area so went hunting on Saturday instead of fishing.* Saw lots of ducks but man they sure are weary.* Ended up with 12 ducks and 2 geese.* One of the ducks I shot had a band on it.* First one in close to 20 years for me.* Called it in, waiting to hear the results.* Kind of surprised they can't look the number up on a computer and give me the information.* Have to wait for them to look it up and mail me the info.* Sunday was a total bust, very, thick fog, only saw 6 ducks.

Americansteel
01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Band Reporting Site (http://www.reportband.gov/)

There ya go. What species was the band off of?

gadgetman
01-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Green head. Thanks for the site, will put the numbers in when I get home. Sure seemed odd when I called that in 2010 they didn't have a way to check on-line.

Good thing I didn't shoot and release on that duck.

Hof
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Way to go!!* I only have one band my entire life.* A hen wood duck.* Info came back and it was a very young local bird.* Still fun to get a band though.* I was on the shelf Saturday and Sunday.* I had berryessa fishing plans sunday but the wife didn't agree and decided costco was where I would be trolling.* *I'll be back on the ducks Saturday.* Only a few more weeks and then back on the water more regularly.*

Saw lots of ducks but man they sure are weary.

I don't have a blind so it can be a little different but this time of year my hunting partner and I will sometimes only carry 3 or 4 decoys each just for that reason.* *The thought behind it is the birds are used to seeing big spreads.* Don't know if it really works or not.* On good days we tell people how smart we are - on bad days we say the ducks just weren't flying today!* *:)

Hof

gadgetman
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't have a blind so it can be a little different but this time of year my hunting partner and I will sometimes only carry 3 or 4 decoys each just for that reason.* *The thought behind it is the birds are used to seeing big spreads.

Agree. We always start bringing in the decoys in early January so we started that project on Sunday. We also moved a lot of the decoys up tight to the check. The sprig had us spinning in the blind on Saturday with all their laps around the decoys. We're hoping that their circles will be closer to the blind with the decoys up tight. Of course a storm would be a huge help.

waterdog
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
You are right on. Way smaller deke spreads for the end of the season is the way to go. Ducks get wary of the larger spreads by end of season. When I hunt a flooded rice blind I am generally down to 12 to 18 dekes by seasons end. I am hunting the bay/Susuin marsh this year and am down to 18 dekes.
Also cut down on the calling. They have been called and shot at all the way down from Canada or where ever they came from so calling sometimes will make them keep going.
Waterdog :)

smithstation
01-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I totally agree. When I cary decoys in to a place I now carry 4 mallard and 5 teal decoys and thats it. I will put out a big spread for the snows in the rice but only a dozen big foots for the honkers at the foothill ponds. The club still has a big spread but with a lot of motorized decoys I think it works.

gadgetman
01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Just received the email with the band info.* Thought these lines were interesting

Bird banding is important for studying the movement, survival and behavior of birds. About 60 million birds representing hundreds of species have been banded in North America since 1904. About 4 million bands have been recovered and reported.

Now the info on the band....I was hoping for a long distance traveler but he was a local boy.

- Banded on 7/12/2009
Age of Bird WAS TOO YOUNG TO FLY WHEN BANDED IN 2009
Location 5 N MARYSVILLE, CALIFORNIA, USA

- Shot on 1/09/2010
- Near the intersection of Aguas Frias and Nelson Rd, Just north of Howard Slough Refuge.

Americansteel
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
- Near the intersection of Aguas Frias and Nelson Rd, Just north of Howard Slough Refuge.

very close to my rice blind...

gadgetman
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Must be band week, just got an email from one of my blind partners. He got a sprig today with a band

March 18, 2007. Tule Lake

He said first one in 13 years for him.

Smeja
02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
- Banded on 7/12/2009
Age of Bird WAS TOO YOUNG TO FLY WHEN BANDED IN 2009
Location 5 N MARYSVILLE, CALIFORNIA, USA

- Shot on 1/09/2010

I shot a mallard drake banded that same day. I harvested it on 1/7 in penn valley. mine was also too young to fly when banded