PDA

View Full Version : I called In a Bobcat...

Cal_Kellogg
12-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I headed out into the American River Canyon this morning for the bandtail pigeon opener and I also planned to try for quail...

I like to call predators (with limited success so far) so I took a few "dead coyote" hevishot shells with me and my favorite mouth call...I planned on calling from 3 or 4 different spots during the 90 minutes of daylight...I was hoping to call in a grey fox, but a coyote would be good too.

First stand nothing...Second stand nothing....At the third stand I was on a log overlooking a small ravine....I'd been calling on and off for about 20 minutes...I didn't see anything move in front of me when suddenly my brain pieced together the form of a bobcat's face...The cat was standing about 25 yards directly in front of me and looking right at me.....All I could see was its face and neck....I didn't have a tag, so I sat there waiting to see what would happen....

Nothing happen...the cat looked at me and I looked back...The cat didn't take off even when I stood up, but when I took one step forward it was out of site in two bounds...What a thrill!!!!!....I went down to were it was standing and found a perfect paw print, so I took a picture of it....I've seen quite a few bobcats over the years...This one wasn't the biggest, but it was still pretty hefty with a beautiful dark amber colored hide...

I ended up shooting a limit of pigeons (2)...I saw one covey of quail, but they ran down a 60 degree slope into the canyon and I didn't follow ;)

The deer herd is down....I saw three does and a pair of bucks....

All in all a great morning in the woods...

Hof
12-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Great story Cal, thanks for sharing.* I haven't seen bobcat in quite a while.* I have called in quite a few coyotes while Turkey hunting the last few years.* Not sure what that says about my turkey calling skills* :D*

Hof