PDA

View Full Version : Magging a 6500

Lfisherman
05-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I had some requests from our sturgeon members, about magging an 6500. Here goes.

First off, start out with the standards that came with the reel, alter the centrifugal brakes according to your casting style. If your not satisfied... mag it.

Magging a 6500, well its really simple, you can get a magging kit from an online store.

http://www.japantackle.com/images/Avail_mag_CR.jpg

Install it.

http://www.japantackle.com/images/how_to_bcr_05.jpg

Or you can do it manually. Make sure the spool tension is not too tight else you'll sacrafice a lot of distance. I would set it so the spool has a very very slight bit of side-to-side play. First determine how much air gap it has on the left side plate(which is the opposite side of the handle). Once you determine that find a magnet that will fit it. You'll have to probably buy a few different types of "rare earth" magnets to play around with this if you want to achieve maximum distance. Also after you find the correct size of magnets, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use 1 drop of super glue.

You can get the magnets here. Select only
Neodymium which are "rare earth magnets".

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Magnets_and_ Magnetism%3BPermanent_Magnets%3BNeodymium

You can placed them just about anywhere inside the left part of the reel. 1 big magnet, or 4 smaller (equal placed) magnets, its all preference.

http://floridasurffishing.net/pics//DCP_1884.JPG

For oils I would use red rocket fuel about 93cp. Which is just right, and protects your bearings from corrosion.

The Abu 6500 is a really fast reel, some long distance casting pro's uses this for casting tournaments and can reach over 250 yards. You have the right reel, now just mag it according to your taste.

TIP, to easily check if the reel is magged right for you, just time the free spool spin. If it's within the range of 3-8 seconds. That is just about right for casting. If you find it to be a little to fast, either use extra magnets or just replace it with a bigger magnet.

Mr_T
05-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the information will try to get to a store and do it myself. I must have some cheapo 6500's (3) cuz none of them have any mags at all. All they have is the little white knobs on the clicker side of the spool. :o

One question I have always wondered is why mags work on aluminum spools; they are non-ferrous right? ???

Help me out here, I'm not too bright, or so SS tells me :P

Lfisherman
05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, I'll start by talking about the casts from start to finish.

As you start the cast your going to see very little difference in the spool speed. Since at low RPM there is little magnetic influence on the spool. At this point the, oil has the most control.
As the RPM increase the magnetic influence increases. So as you know the larger the magnetic eddy the greater the breaking force it has on the spool.

However I have to point out that the oil is the main influence on the 6500 reel. Most people have a difficult time controlling Mag reels at the start of the cast. This is why I like red rocket fuel since at the start of the cast the oil is thick, thus slowing down the speed a bit, as the cast progresses and the RPM increases, heat builds and oil viscosity drops and less brakes which allows you to increase distance, with added magnets it will have a great deal of influence at the end of the casts which cuts backlashes and requires no thumbing thus increases distance. Last thing you want is some super thick oil which probably will make your reel backlash proof, but as your sinker is at its highest point and falling back down it won't take much line off the reel since the oil will take a long time to break down, thus heavily reduces your distance.

PlugROCKSTAR
05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
thanks for the info and the resource on where to purchase the mags. Very much appreciated Lfisherman.

Mr_T
05-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Still doesn't answer how a non-magnetic spool made of aluminum is affected by magnets. ??? :-/ I don't get it. I use magnets in my work for speed checks, and if isn't ferrous, it isn't gonna work. Still and all thanks for the info, checked into the kits for magging, found them at Hatteras outfitters, for a rather pricey 50 bucks each. WOW, too much for me. :o :o

Mr_T
05-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Been checking in and out of a distance casting forum back east (stripersonline.com) and one of the guys who is pretty well regarded in that circle uses atuo tranny fluid as he says it does the same thing as rocket fuel (heck its even red!), and a lifetime supply costs about 3 bucks; any experience?

Lfisherman
05-05-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm not so sure as how the magnets react as the RPM's increase. But I think it when the spool spins it creates eddy current, and that is attracted by the magnets. I'm not a physicists. Last time I took physics was years ago. I don't remember, not a clue.

Mr_T you don't need no magging kit. I shouldn't even put in my post. All it takes to is 2 magnets $1.00, and while your at get 1 pack of smoothie drag washers because you know abu's drag aren't that great, $4.99. Total cost $5.99 ?
I think thats worth it to get better control of the reel, increase distance and better drags.

On a side note radio shack carries 1/8 x 1/10 rare earth magnets, .50 cents each. You just need a few of those.

I would stick to red rocket, Neil who designed the Penn 525 Mag and held the world casting record for 14 years for casting 281 yards used red rocket to achieve that distance. Its a slow oil but breaks down really fast. I don't even the see the need to go to yellow rocket. I never heard of tyranny fluid so I can't comment on that. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of oils just as good as red rocket out there but cheaper. I just don't like giving them a try then after a few months I find that my bearings corroded. I think all factory abu's comes with red rocket.

Other oils that work great.

1. Reel-X (74 cp)
2. Quantum Hot sauce (25cp)
3. Speed-X

Mr_T
05-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Are you talking about Neil Mackellow? I've had some talks over the net with him about stuff on the other forum, he goes by the name blabeard. Pretty cool guy. 8)

OK so I'm sold; where do you get red rocket around here? ;D

Mr_T
05-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Sticky key board, meant to say blackbeard.

blabeard, yah right... ;)

Lfisherman
05-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Yep, thats him alright.

I don't know any store that sells em here but I would buy them at

www.cabelas.com

They ship really fast

the red rocket runs at $9.99
while quantum hot sauce runs at $5.99
The hot sauce is very thin, beware!

I'll be needing to buy some but looks like that'll be in a long while, since I haven't even used up the oil that came with mines, as a matter of fact I didn't even use any yet, good time to relube. And it's some good stuff. 1-3 drops twice year is all you need. Some even less, a bottle lasts a long time.

PlugROCKSTAR
05-05-2004, 08:30 PM
LFisherman, Mr_T said Tranny Fluid not tyranny fluid. ;) Can you mag any Abu Reels.? I have a 5500 C3.

Lfisherman
05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Tyranny fluid. ha ha ha.

I've seen a mag big quantom iron reel. If that can be magged, any multiplier reel can be magged.

Mr_T
05-06-2004, 05:57 AM
Sounds like a good project comin up!!!

Thanks again for all tips, think I'm gonna try this out...

STURGEONSTOMPER
05-06-2004, 08:56 AM
>:(Now T I said no such thing...Did I ???

You guys keep giving this guy T ideas hes gonna rip every one of hes reals apart and he"ll never get to go fishing with me again cause he will mix them all up and have some concocktion that wont work... :-/
J/K T you know its all good.
BTW what is tyranny fluid any how...lol

Lfisherman
05-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Just a note, my friend got back his Penn Squidder that many would consider useless for shore fishing. Anyhow after a few modifications were made. He went out to give it a little test he was hitting 140 yards (400-450 feet). Not bad for an old reel.

Mr_T
05-24-2004, 06:21 AM
Back east the squidder seems to have a bit of a cult following, they don't look like they can cast but they do!

striper_assasin
01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
how many of you have caught sturgeon on an abu 6500?
i bet the drag would be shot after each fish.isnt this a striper reel?

swikmo
01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I got my one and only barely legal dino on mine that was about a 15 min fight with a cpl good runs which seemed to be fine tho I dont really know the difference on a shot drag,guess I should change it anyways.I do remeber thinking,at least after I saw the size,that if this fish had been bigger it'd be a different story like I wish I had a bigger or better dragged reel next time but I like fishing light and will ultimately pay that price one day,but until then im all abu.I just got the new ambassadeur record and love it.

mjonesjr
01-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Well virtually everything Lfisherman points out from what I know works quite well. A friend of mine who goes by Nufo got me into this modification a few years back. I have a Penn Squidder which I magged a it does indeed hit well over 100yrds. Adding the higher quality grease adds to the mod too.

Do a search on PFIC www.pierfishing.com/search and use Magging, Nufo. Thereís tons of info on magging all types of reels and how to measure one that hasnít been listed. Between using cups and washers to mount the mags most reels can be done.

Also about how the mags affect the Aluminum spool to slow it down. Hereís the answer:

Question: why an aluminum spool? It is not magnetic.
Aluminum is ideal BECAUSE it is non magnetic, oddly enough. This works with non ferrous (non magnetic) metallic materials. A rapidly moving magnetic field comes into close contact with the aluminum and a small electric charge is induced into the metal. This swirling charge is an eddy current. It produces a field of energy that has a polarization state that is equal to the polarization state of the magnetic field the magnets have created. Think of two magnets pushing against each other when the same poles are facing. In other words a repelling force is created and this is why the spin of the spool is braked.
Further Reading Here:
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae527.cfm

Hereís a step by step set of instructions on how to do it.
http://www.songslinger.net/magsquid.htm

Screaming Reels 8)

mjonesjr

Mr.Pescador
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm wondering why in the world do you need to cast hundreds of yards?I'm not trying to be a wise guy.Just curious where you're fishing and for what.

mjonesjr
01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm wondering why in the world do you need to cast hundreds of yards?I'm not trying to be a wise guy.Just curious where you're fishing and for what.

I got into casting for distance prior to buying a boat. So I could only fish pier and shore spots. Many of these spots can be very productive especially if you can get out to certain locations which contain drop-offs, ledges and holes.

I'm also a bit of a tackle ho too. :D :P :D

Also if you fish some of the deep channels in the delta and you don't get out far enough it can be snag city. Get over some of these areas and all of a sudden you find they can be very productive. At least that's my experience.

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr