PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Color Help

Nathan
05-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey guys,
I posted this up on the trout board and was told I might get a little more help here.
I've been asked (by several people)too add a Kokanee color too my line of Assassins.The side and belly colors aren't a problem..It's the back color..I've been told everything from Olive green too Black too Blue too Blue/Green.I realize fish color can very from one water too the next..But what would be a good middle of the road color for the back?..A Kokanee spawning color is also in the works,but it looks pretty easy..Thanks for the help in advance..Nathan

fishwithgary
05-23-2006, 08:21 AM
The question cannot be answered without understanding what happens to color as you go down the water column. The color you see at the surface will not be the color at depth. Assuming you are in the 75-100 foot depth, the "top" should be dark blue or dark green. These colors survive the color shift at that depth even with the reduction in light at that depth. Of course the clarity of the water plays a vital role in what colors are to be seen at depth. If the water is not clear, you may have no light at all at such depth, making any non-glow color useless, althogh you still get the benefit of vibration for your attractor system and the vibration of the lure.
Gary

Oxbow
05-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Gary,

Interesting discussion. I agree that green can be seen better at depth and blue even a little deeper. Having said that, most of the mature kokanee I have caught appear to have a black coloration on the back when viewed on the surface. If the color is some shade of black, the following question arises in my mind because I certainly don't know the answer. Is it more important for the predator to see a natural color at depth say black on the back or is it better to use blue or green so the predator will have a better chance to see the lure? I would be interested in your thoughts and or opinions.

metalmouth
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Black honeycomb (scale) over a dark blue. The Black/Silver Assassin, at http://www.bettencourtbaits.comis already moving the market place, a more defined Koke imitation will be off the hook.

MM

fishwithgary
05-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Oxbow,
I spend most of my time kokanee fishing. Intersting enough, the idea is to have your lure be seen. The fish can see it through color choice, vibration or both. Ideal is both. Black is a good contrast color at depth, provided it is contrasted with another color, such as white. In cooler and clearer waters, the topside of a koke tends to a "bluish" color. In lower elevations and less clear water, the top back color is greenish. In both instances the quick view is that of a silver bullet. For sure the #1 priority for your setup is to be noticed. To make the fish strike at your setup is the subject of eternal discussion. I hold to the concept that there are "triggers" that make a fish strike: scent, color, vibration and action, contrast, and speed of presentation. Contrast is very high on the list. Anything with an eye, and round contrasting spots or stripes is the ticket. That is why color selection is vital. Red becomes gray in just a few feet of water. Shades of gray present no contrast.
Anyways... If you search the Net for underwater photography you will get a better understanding of issues of color shift and water clarity and the way light is absorbed in the water column.
Tight lines !!
Gary

Nathan
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Gary,
Your comments about contrast are interesting,and right on the money.That why I did the "Cow" color..Some people take that pattern as a joke but it isn't.Against a light back ground the Black is visible,against a dark background the white is visible....Hmmmm..I wonder how a glow in the dark white with the black patches would work...You guys have me thinking again..Nathan

willbilly
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder about O-Dark:30 with a glow mohawk minnow just think top line delight *::) ;) :) :) :)

Capt.Ken
05-23-2006, 06:36 PM
In my opinion the Black/Silver that I just purchased from you is as close to a true kokanee pattern as it gets. We have been producing many mackinaw, on this lure, that are feeding on kokes. I don't think that you need to worry about producing another color, this one is working just fine. Here's the proof.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/2006_05235-230001.JPG

Just like we always say. A pictures says a thousand words.
Capt. Ken

Nathan
05-24-2006, 04:59 AM
That is a beautiful Fish Ken!!!..What did it weigh?..Nathan

Capt.Ken
05-24-2006, 05:14 AM
That was 16lber. we caught and released at Union VAlley.

PlugROCKSTAR
05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Nathan,
Didn't know you were a member on the boards. Glad to see you post buddy. ;)

Nathan
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guys..I really appreciate it.I hope too have the Kokanee and spawning Koke. pictured up at my site in about a month.
Thanks again too everyone..Nathan