PDA

View Full Version : sonoma creek/s.p.b. update

RR
11-28-2005, 09:50 PM
hey you all, i'm back. got a new/used computer and a new/used boat!been putting the boat in the water and building my confidence up in her. feeling good.
two weeks ago we went out to the mouth area of sonoma creek. caught 5 keeper stripers to 7lbs. feels good to put back some keeper fish! one leopard shark,42in. and 3
sturgeon 36in, 40in. and 42in. great time!
friday, my son and i went out to the same area. the wind blew us off the bay. we managed to lose a couple larger stripers. one keeper came on the boat. all i caught was a couple crokers and they were small ones.
we head back out on saturday, what the heck, it's a holiday! been out there a while and decide to change bait. so i put shrimp on my new/used old school green stick. this will be the first time i ever cast this rod. it sits for 20 minutes and i see it do the wiggle. by the time i get my hands to the rod it is pointed at the water so i set the hook. sturgeon comes out of the water and it's a beauty. takes 150 yards,that's right, yards. since we are on the flats he fights the whole time on top of the water. it was perfect! 62in.
now SS, i can hear you already telling me pictures. i just happen to receive a new/used digital camera.i'm going to figure it out and get them up
RR

GCinGV
11-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Awesome catch Rich and it was doing the tail dance the whole time I bet.
GC

just_hooked
11-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi, Nice report I always wanted to fish that area but don't know where to launch. I also know it is shallow and don't want to get stuck in the mud. How deep is the enterance coming into the mouth? Thanks Fish On Jimmi

RR
11-29-2005, 06:41 PM
hey there GC, good to hear you. yes, it did the dance! like i said, perfect.

hey just_hooked. yes, it is very shallow out there and the channel is very hard to keep track of. every time i go out there i kick up some mud. i launch from skaggs island which you reach from hwy 12 in schellville. you have to get a key from the sonoma parks department. this way i come in from the creek and only go so far out in the bay. you can also come in from napa river. real nice ride. you need a good map or go with some one who knows the way. what area do you live in? we can get out together some day. the creek itself is fairly deep with a few holes over 20ft. once you go under the hwy.37 bridge 10ft. is as deep as it gets. with the wind blowing and the tide running the mud comes up fast so take it slow. i saw a guy with a gps run all the way out at full throttle. he was looking down at the gps more than he was looking up. hope this helps.

RR