PDA

View Full Version : All Nighters

sockeyeslammer
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Could anyone give me the general rundown of the typical all night sturgeon session. I have only fished for them a few times and never all night. It sounds like you guys head out and stay out for the duration. I figure I need to bring lots of bait,beer,food and water. Just wondering if you ever get some sleep. Or do you have to keep the pole tied to your foot? Does one guy catch zzzzz's while the other one keeps pole watch? Also do you keep the nav lights on all night? Thinking of trying to get out for a couple days (and night) when the wife is out of town next week. Thanks for any info on how the pro's get it done.

fishrman4life
11-16-2005, 05:58 PM
No no no no, you sleep on the slack tide. Keep the clicker on. When I went for an all-nighter during the killer derby it was basically nap during the hours from 11pm-2am, move (current was draggin anchor), then we slept till morning. But from 7:30 pm to about 11:00pm the bite was SLAMMIN! Same thing during the morning hours. Caught the last one at 12:00 noon round about.

Know_Excuses
11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I go out ever other weekend from friday till sunday :)You dont need the nav lights on only the anchor light.(if your boat is like mine the nav lights will kill the battery)When I go for sturgeon I try to do like fishrman4life said but I usually end up putting a bell and setting the clicker and falling asleep ;D.Good luck.

PlugROCKSTAR
11-16-2005, 09:21 PM
we just drink alot of BEER and stay out alll night ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Im with 2pid 8)

I catch um in my sleep :D

cptfishalot
11-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Don't you guys mean anchor lights?
Nav lights only when moving......huh?
You can also set up some of the tent lights on your Bimini tops....
Just boated my first legal sturgy the other day and I caught it at night around 10pm, while in the cuddy watching a DVD....
I guess since the Salmon seem to be slowing down, I will try for Sturgeon alittle more, especially on an over-nighter
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/DSC00968.JPG

fishkiller
11-24-2005, 11:08 PM
8)You are right cptfshalot, watching a dvd may not be the way most of us do it but if it works for you tight lines. 8)

fishkiller
11-24-2005, 11:13 PM
8)The typical run down would be take a couple friends pack a cooler with bait , another with beer sodas and water, another with food gas up the boat find your favorite spot put out the poles fire up the BBQ turn on the tunes put on anchor lights , set a sleeping order and set a guy to watch poles and rotate rotate. Eat drink have fun hang them beast off the back.Course it is nice when you have all the amenities of home on the boat. 8)

cptfishalot
11-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I agree with all statements made.....
GREAT luck to us all

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Hey cpt where did yea get that one if you dont mind me askin? Looks like the sac somewhere around hood or cortland.

innovate
11-25-2005, 09:45 AM
That sure does look like the Old Sac - that's a mighty clean, and fresh lookin' sturge too. 2 days old from the bay. Nice fish cpt.

Roland

swikmo
11-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Things ive observed...
If your in the main channel id say have someone stay for safe measure.I usually stay up when eddies passed out and have rested my eye for a cpl momments but for the most part I like to the check the debre floating down especialy in the comming months when there be larger pieces including whole trees as we read a week back ago from another post.Id hate to hafta deal with that situation straight outa a nap.The other thing I noticed was during the tide change,our boat actually liftes anchor some how,more than once, and had to re-anchor.It would not be kewl to wake up with your boat rocking up against the jedi or stuck in shallow water.We have a few batteries and keep both lights on.Funny being in that whole river a boat managed to get 30 yards from me before he changed coarse so the more the safer I feel.Besides that and all the others mentioned just having fun cuz its a whole different ball game at night.Enjoy and tight lines.

Swik

Dinophyte
11-25-2005, 08:25 PM
captfishalot,
Congratulations on your first keeper sturgeon! I'm hoping to get my first soon. Can I ask what bait you caught yours on and what alerted you that you had a fish on, since you were watching a DVD? Also, was it a strong pull down or light taps as some describe the sturgeon bites to be? Fish on! :)
D

fishrman4life
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
swikmo,

we had the same thing happen during the killer derby....we set anchor for the night and the currents came on really strong and just dragged anchor at maybe a half a knot, to 1 knot, we could see certain fixed lights near the power plant move as we did, so we had to pull up for the night and went out again after about 7 hours of sleep, lol, we had an awesome time, but that was scary current

cptfishalot
11-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I caught that fish at Decker Isle...
Incoming tide, using Grass Shrimp....I caught a couple of Stripers before the Sturgy hit, so the Grass Shrimp was the TICKET that night.....
PS. It was a strong pull-down.....I heard it and I was in the cuddy...

penn_yan_bill
11-26-2005, 03:00 PM
When I lived in Vacaville, I did lots of overnighters. I hate to get up early so I bought a boat with a cabin so I could go out the night before. One advantage of going out after sunset is there's no traffic at the ramp, and plenty of parking. On the down side, I've lost a couple of tanks of gas from my pick up while parked in the Suisun launch.

For an anchor light, I'd hang a propane lantern from my bimini. It was fed from a 2.5 gal tank via a 6 foot hose. I secured the hose to one of my boat seats to minimize the pendulum effect of the light. One of my pet peeves was guys that ran their running lights while anchored.

I'd watch TV in the cabin while waiting for a bite. I used a catfish bell on my pole. Old Ground gave me a hard time about that until he had to pay me for the derby winning sturgeon in Rio Vista. That was back in the days of the "trash talking" board.

Only once did I break anchor while sleeping. Woke up though because the sound of the waves slapping the hull changed.

Loved the nights out in Suisun Bay, Suisun Cut, Montezuma Slough...all good. If you ever heard "U.S. Blues" on the water, that was me.

cptfishalot
11-27-2005, 03:44 PM
How sweet it is !!!

JoeHack-golf_star
11-27-2005, 04:46 PM
great fish captain! congrats on bagging number 1...now let me have a piece of that dude!

cptfishalot
11-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Let me know when you are out on the water.
I have them vacuum packed already and in the freezer..
Thanks for all the CONGRATS.......

MB_Kevin
11-27-2005, 11:49 PM
PS. It was a strong pull-down.....I heard it and I was in the cuddy...

Thats what I like to hear. That might be the only way I get one. I don't see myself pulling like crazy at small little bites like I seen this one guy do.
Nice fish and thanks for sharing all the valuable info. ;)