PDA

View Full Version : I am no longer a “Legal Sturgeon Virgin”

Hopsmacker
11-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Took off work today & launched out of San Leandro for some shark action with my dog. (No, the dog was not for bait) The man in the bait shop on Marina blvd. said I should use squid & frozen herring on a stainless steel leader rig for sharks. I started fishing just north of the Oakland airport off Bayfarm in 29 feet of water at 8:30am using squid. The tide was near the end of the outgo. I caught one 18” shark in two hours with lots of other bites.

I then moved about 200 feet & switched to frozen herring. After an hour with no hits at all, I decided to switch back to squid, but when I picked up my rod & gave it the standard “just in case” hook-set yank before reeling in the line, to my surprise, it pulled back with a vengeance. In the next four seconds, 50 yards of line peeled from my reel before I was able to stop him, and to verify that I had not soiled myself. After a couple more runs, & two trips around the boat, I coaxed him into my net, & successfully landed my first legal sturgeon at 58 inches and 53 pounds. Wow, what a rush that was. I think I’ll target sharks more often.

Thanks for reading, and see pics below.

Regards,

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/527/medium/DSCN0004.JPG

Full body shot
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/527/medium/DSCN0006.JPG

PlugROCKSTAR
11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
WOW, thats a FAT A$$ 58". Good Job Hopsmacker. Now your addicted ;D

birdznest
11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Awsome fish. Awsome landing. I'm still a vergin looking for my keeper. Hey you a ;)lefty? What reel is that you used to land the beauty?

phishinpat
11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Congrats on your first. Now you'll be looking for them more often. And that is one fat 58incher.

mjonesjr
11-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the BrotherHood... :D
A great battle for you're first. ;)

Welcome to the addicton... :-/

An Addict is born ;D

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr 8)

Hopsmacker
11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Awsome fish. Awsome landing. I'm still a vergin looking for my keeper. Hey you a *;)lefty? What reel is that you used to land the beauty?

Birdznest, Good eye.
Actually, I am a righty. I grew up using only spinning reels, so holding the rod with my right hand & reeling with my left was all I ever knew. Now as an adult, for trolling & hunting the big boys I use conventional reels, so holding the rod in my right hand & reeling with my left is the only way I’ve ever done it.
The reel is an Ambassadeur Big Game 7001

GN.
11-23-2005, 11:20 PM
congratulations on your first keeper. Wow it's fat. Great pics.

birdznest
11-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah. I grew up spinning also. All of my conventionals and baitcasters are laftys but two of them. For a while ther I was goint to convert over to right handed but I was in an accident in february that prevents me from putting weight on my left leg. I'm forced to hold the ron ind my right hand for proper leverage. Congrats again. Hope to be in your shoes soon! :D

blue_chrush
11-24-2005, 07:44 AM
that area last season kicked out alot of fish...
looks like another good start to the season..
nice fish... ;) :D
my 1st on came south of you near
the san mateo bridge and just like you
it was a rush, I just kept yelling, oh ya oh ya
hoping someone in a car would hear me....lol

GCinGV
11-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Nice fat one.
GC

Bassassin
11-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Congratulations on a GREAT fish Hopsmacker! That is one FAT and healthy 58".

SturgeonVirgin
11-24-2005, 08:41 AM
way to go on the fish. That there is a FAT boy!!

:)

fishguts
11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Congrats are in order. That is some good eatin right there. Enjoy every bit of it.

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Sweet, can I go shark fishin with yea next time ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Sweet, can I go shark fishin with yea next time ;D

see Stomper theres other fish in the water besides a diamondback ::) you should really venture out once in a while.
"nothing venture, nothing gained" member' that ;)

Captain_Morgan
11-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Exellent post!! I'm still searching for my first. Great tasteing meat!! Looks like it was a nice day weather wise too. That beats sleeping on the river.Sturgeon Stomper must be proud! ;)

doneli
11-24-2005, 04:06 PM
congrats on your first fish hopsmacker. i haven't got mine yet but i am working on it. i have a reel just like yours and i got it for the same reason ;D. hopefully i can hear it scremimg soon. good luck and keep shark fishing ;)

doneli

donzitroller
11-24-2005, 04:21 PM
hopsmacker, great first keeper! What a fattie! Congrats! Gotta get out and get me one of em soon! FISH ON!

Hopsmacker
11-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words.
I appreciate them.

p.s. After the filleting job, I tried to convince my wife to have sturgeon instead of turkey for Thanksgiving tonight. ;D She didn’t buy it. Oh well, tomorrow for sure.

Dinophyte
11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Hopsmacker,
Congratulations on your first sturgeon! Hoping to get my first as well. Fish on! :)
D