PDA

View Full Version : Powerlines 11/12

swikmo
11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
WHOOHOOOO!!

Finaly some redemption!After a long 5 years of fishing for them I finaly nabbed my first keeper sturgy saturday.The last 3 weekends under the lines have produced 5 shakers for eddie and I and this weekend my buddy perm decided to do another all nighter.We got to the spot (second set of powerlines,10th ball)around 8pm.The water wasnt as calm as I liked but finaly calmed down around 2am.Just as the last few weeks showed,the 3am bite started and wasnt long before that nibble thing was going on.I was using banged shad as usual and on the 3rd nibble it was showtime.I set the hook and dude started peeling line like no tommorow.Of course perm crashed out herd the ruckuss and was up with the net at my side within a few minutes.It was nice to feel the tug and hard pulls they give.I find thier brutt strength is just incredible.At one point where I thought he was giving up and comming into the boat that it wasnt going to that tuff of a fish,I was wrong.Not 15 feet under the boat he decided he was gunna chill for a few then headed straight to the bottom.I use a lighter rig with 20 lb maxima and 30 lb leader so it was a blast for me.10 - 15 minutes later I got my first look at him and cant begin to explain the grin that was on my face but when I got him in the boat he measured a barley 47 " and weighed 18 lbs.Not huge,but legal and a total blast.Perm managed a few keeper stripers but that was about it.Even though the football was lousy yesterday the sturgeon nuggets were not!!!I been wanting to post my own strugeon post for quite sometime considering I read these reports and many others everyday for years...........needless to say ive been hooked and thank the FS and its posters for all the good 411.Ill be posting the pix when they get developed.

P.S. I think the secret for me was this year is to think your striper fishing but wish for sturgeon,whoda thunk?

swik-da"dino"moan

http://www.cwo.com/~cstrawn/mykeeper1105.jpg

riplips
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Congrats on your first keeper. Reading your post made me think back to the first keeper I landed after many a trips for them, and the excitment of the battle. Keep up the good work and hope to see more posts of keepers from you.

Tight Lines
Rip

Farrier_Frank
11-14-2005, 08:45 PM
What's interesting about your report, Swik', is the similarity to the thread GCinGV posted a couple of weeks ago about our lucky day fishing the Power Lines: I pulled his boat a 113 miles down there - early, really early in the morning - and the whole way down I had stripers on my brain. Even when we had lines wet I was thinking stripers. The first fish to the boat was a 10" catfish, and from there on out, 'till noon, we caught 5 sturgeon. Two keepers. But no stripers - GC brought a 72" dino boatside at 8:30, and I reeled in my first keeper around noon; a 47", 23 lb sturgeon and I was stoked. *But I know if it hadn't been for luck and GC putting me on the fish I would still be looking for my first keeper.

GCinGV
11-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Swikmo,
Congrats on your first keeper; its crazy how hard they pull huh. It seems like they come a lot easier after your first one so now it’s just a matter of putting in the time.
That power lines area is pretty hard to beat most of the time.
GC

fishrman4life
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
That sounds like an awesome time. I cant wait to get on the shore or boat as it were and catch me a few this season. Im kinda partial now to letting them go...reason being is that I have sturgeon meat right now and I havent gone through it all yet. Plus, we all gotta keep the population goin'.

Farrier_Frank
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey GC... Now that your talking about how important it is, putting time in after you catch the first keeper, don't you think we should be heading back down there soon so I can catch my second keeper ;D And maybe we can make it a two-dayer so the 216 mile round trip doesn't look so bad on the books ::)

GCinGV
11-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Frank,
I was thinking the same thing. Did someone say "Power Lines Fest"?
GC

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
OK, Im not scared :P

Farrier_Frank
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Glad you're on the same page GC. I still have your spare tire and you ain't going down there without me. ;D

With all the camping space available at Sherman we really could have a 'Fest' down there. And the launch? Piece of cake. Even at low tide we can get everybody lauched. ;)

GCinGV
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
“Even at low tide we can get everybody launched”. The mud racing competition; first prize a new prop.
GC

ITUKAWAL
11-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Frank,
I was thinking the same thing. Did someone say "Power Lines Fest"?
GC

Hmmmmm, PowerLine Floatilla Fest. Be scared SS, be very scared.

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-15-2005, 07:44 AM
;D Thats a great idea ;) Lots of room for everybody. So when we doing this one ;D

SturgeonVirgin
11-15-2005, 08:17 AM
set it up. I'm in.

PlugROCKSTAR
11-15-2005, 08:35 AM
set it up. I'm in.

what if Charlie Brown decides to show up? then what?

SturgeonVirgin
11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Then you go home cuz you eat too much... :P ::)..

smithstation
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
How deep is the water at the power lines? Are you fishing the break into the channel? I have seen boats scattered around the area but never a set pattern. Sort of like when you drive over the Rio bridge. There are always boats but they are scattered all over. I guess people see structure they like and anchor up on it??

Congrats on your fish, now get back out there and hook up a few more!

Know_Excuses
11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
How far are the power lines from the rio vista bridge??My boat goes about 7 miles an hour.

SturgeonHunter_420
11-15-2005, 05:46 PM
From the public launch in Rio Vista, at 7 mph it should take you about 20-25 minutes. It's not far at all ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Thats about right, fish on either side of the channel. Those big RED/GREEN lights are channle markers. Stay on the out side of those.

Like this..

http://www.richardling.com/photos/images/Channel%20markers%20in%20Lewes%20Deleware.jpg

Now if yea look around youll see some on the other side. That marks the channel ;) Stay outta there ;)

GCinGV
11-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Frank,
Stop by when you get a chance and we’ll see if we can come up with a plan.

Smithstation,
Fish any of the areas between the main channel and shore in about 25 or 30’ of water. Just graph around until you spot some fish. Even though most of us have our favorite spots, to tell you the truth I’m not sure exact locations are all the critical down there and that may be why the boats are so scattered. It seems like everything between at least the Rio Bridge and Chain Island is nothing but one big Clam bed for the Sturgeon to wander around and feed on.
GC

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-15-2005, 10:17 PM
2nd that ;)

SturgeonHunter_420
11-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Yup yup, that area down there is where the sturgeon live year-round. Catch a biggin ;D

swikmo
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
3rd that..........

I pretty much think anywhere in between the powerlines (have better luck closer to the second set) in the 25 - 30 feet as close to the channel as possible ie: 10th ball from the south side going by the balls on the powerlines and of course the channel markers,just be safe and carefull especialy at night.I figure once the rains come and the debre is flowing,night fishing there wont be a great idea.I never see any structures on the FF,more like a huge flat area and is why we loose a anchor grab alot during the changing of the tides and have to re-anchor.....so anoying.I think the Decker area is the same since I see the same scattering of boats in that area but I have never been lucky there so I just stick with what works for me.Fish on!

Swik

swikmo
11-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh and you can count us in on a floatilla! Great idea!

swikmo
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
the proof!