PDA

View Full Version : sturgeon story

skyhigh
11-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Check it out sturgeon freaks!! I have caught many under size sturgeon and have watched my boat mates land many but I am still a virgin. NOV 5th on the water near Ryer Island strugeon are jumping and I hook up. *I'm fighting the sturgeon for about 15 min and tell my buddy Cliff to cast out. The strugeon bite can be a small window of opportunity *at times. *He cast out and not 30 sec pasts and he hooks up. *Two strugeon at the same time now we are over and under each other and it is crazy. *Well remeber i said I am a virgin my sturgeon 56 inches long but snagged in the side. Had to let it go. *Cliff's 57 inch 46 pounds. *Funny thing is we never got another strugoen bite all day. My first keeper is snagged, when will the maddness end. *I just want a sturgeon. Where are the hot spots right now?? OH I wanted to post the pic but could not figure out how anyone with have intel about that? Thanks skyhigh

SturgeonHunter_420
11-08-2005, 10:57 PM
you'll get one man. Sturgeon fishing is a waiting game. Sooner or later you will hook up. :D

Farrier_Frank
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Sounds like you did find the hot spot that day, Skyhigh. And a double ;D That must have been interesting.

By the way welcome to the boards.

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Ditto on that Frank. Sounds good to me too ;)

Welcome :D

ITUKAWAL
11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Welcome Skyhigh. Amen on that. The name of the game is patience. That's the time you develop your own personal talent. Just ask SS. I lived up in the PNW close to the Columbia River for 20+. I thought I'd never hook into a dino. Finally after a dozen + trips I finally caught my first, second, third.......all out of the slot. This was over a period of 5+ years and I was ready to bag it. Finally I got my first legal D-back. That must have been bad karma. The big "D", got laid off, lost my dog and pickup.....you get the pix. Anyway back in the game....Your patience and talent will reward you........... ;) ;) ;D ;D

skyhigh
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah guys I guess I need a lesson in patience. I will continue and press on. Looking to go out this Sat most likely to the same spot or maybe chain Island. My strugeon will come. Later Skyhigh

dandeuce
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
The first one is the hardest , after that they come easier . Too bad you snagged that one , my hats off to you for the release , a lot of people would not have let it go . I really piss off other fishermen because if there is any sturgeon in the freezer at home its a C&R trip . Guys think your nutty throwing back a keeper , especially from shore . You will get your keeper , just put in your time !

Tight Lines , Dan

GCinGV
11-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome skihigh.
Good job on the double; must have really been crazy.
“Where are the hot spots right now??”
Personally with a double hookup I’d make a Bee-line back to the same spot and camp out for a while. Try to match the same tide and see what happens; they may bite on one better then the other on that spot for some reason. Your spots most likely on a clam bed and chances are the fish feed there through most of the season. It’s been my experience in that area that once you find a productive hole you don’t need to move around too much through the season.
I think that whole general area is good right now though.
Good luck
GC

skyhigh
11-17-2005, 05:59 PM
:D :D :D NOV 16th same spot as the double hook up i finally lost my dino virginity. 48 inch 25 pounds Thanks for all the encouagement, my patience finally payed off. Later skyhigh

GN.
11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Congrats on your first dino. I had my first and now I want more. Keep it up. They'll come.

Smeja
11-17-2005, 09:54 PM
congrats on your fish keeper!!!!! and on letting the one foul hooked go. regardless of what most the people on a message board will potray I think the majority of fishermen wouldnt have thought twice about it and would have kept it,specially being in your shoes at the time and had never landed a keeper up to that point.

Glad you lost your sturgeon viginity. i feel like i need to loose mine again. i guess its only been 10 months sense I landed one but it feels like forever.

I'm just hoping for one keeper this year and I'll be a very happy man

swikmo
11-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Congrats skyhigh!

After fishing for them for 5+ years I got my first keeper last weekend down at the powerlines and it was an inch shorter and 7 lbs lighter but am still glowing from it and cant wait for tonight to get back down there for a whole weekend of sturgeon hunting.May I ask what you caught it on?Tight linezzzzz

§wikmo

skyhigh
11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Congrats Swikma on your first as well. You asked what I caught it on?? A shad on one hook and eel on the other. 30 feet close to Ryer Island. The double the week before was just on shad alone. Hope this helps, Later skyhigh

GCinGV
11-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Skyhigh,
Now you’re on a roll buddy; keep if up.
Sounds like you have a good spot that’s worth spending some more time on (ride it till the wheel falls off so to speak). Back to back hook-ups aint bad.
GC