PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Motor Steering Rod

trackertundra
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I recenlty installed a 9.9hp pro kicker on my boat. I had it installed and I am not completely happy with the way the dealership installed the connecting rod to the main motor. It is just a thin piece of rod between the two motors. I wanted to ask those of you who have installed kickers what you are using. I don't like this set up because it does not look very durable. Any of your ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tracker

Captain_Morgan
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Do you have the stainless rod kit thats on there? About 1/2" all thread? I put the same kicker on my boat but installed it myself. Works great! What don't you like?

sellhomes2fish
09-19-2005, 01:43 AM
I believe I have the same set-up as Capt_Morgan and it works great. I tried the EZ Steer and find the rod connection at the front of the motors to be better for my application.

SuperDave
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
When the dealership install mine, they didn't have the motors lined up correctly and put bends in my rod. I found it would bind in turns. I simply raised the my kicker to the same mounting height as my main motor and went back to a straight connection. It has performed without incident.

trackertundra
09-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Hinrid, thats exactly what is going on with mine. They also bent mine. I can see the rod bend during turning. For the amount of money I spent on that motor, it should have been installed correctly. Which dealership installed yours?

Off_The_Hook
09-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I got the same one Captain Morgan is talking about. *Came stock on my North River connecting my Yamaha 150 to my 8 hp. *Works great! It had a rattle at idle, which I fixed. If anyone else's has a rattle, I can post a picture of my fix. I know some people use a bungee, but this looks a little better.

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-19-2005, 08:53 PM
We have used the EZ Steer system on 4 of our boats and works great. No problems whatsoever.

SuperDave
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
It only seems to be a problem when incompetent rigging boys at the dealership install them.

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-20-2005, 07:33 AM
It only seems to be a problem when incompetent rigging boys at the dealership install them.

Yeah, that's why you do it yourself. :) The EZ Steer system is pretty straight forward and easy to install.

trackertundra
09-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I guess I'm not the only person having troubles with the dealers. I took mine to Gone fishin and I have had more than one problem with the installation. It seems as if people do not take pride in there work anymore. I just don't understand it!

Tracker

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I guess I'm not the only person having troubles with the dealers. I took mine to Gone fishin and I have had more than one problem with the installation. It seems as if people do not take pride in there work anymore. I just don't understand it!

Tracker

Well, I have heard quite a few horror stories about Gone Fishin' Marine.

skipper
09-25-2005, 01:27 PM
I got the same one Captain Morgan is talking about. *Came stock on my North River connecting my Yamaha 150 to my 8 hp. *Works great! It had a rattle at idle, which I fixed. If anyone else's has a rattle, I can post a picture of my fix. I know some people use a bungee, but this looks a little better.

Hey Off The Hook, I would very much like to see how you solved the rattling problem. If you will post a pic. it will be greatly appreciated. ---fish hawk

Off_The_Hook
09-25-2005, 02:33 PM
My rattling problem came from one end of the shaft where it threads into the coupler. *One end was secured with a locknut, the other was not. *The end without the locknut *was just loose on the threads, because it needs to be free to rotate as the engines piviot up and down and turn. *

What I did was to install a locknut, washer, and a very dense foam spacer on the end that was loose. (I can't remember exactly what the material I used is called.) *What it does is puts tension on the threads to keep them from rattling, but also allows the threads to turn in the coupler when needed.

I also packed the inside of the coupler where the ball goes in with thick bearing grease, and stuck a tiny o-ring in there, because there was a little slop there as well.

Mine is now completely rattle free. *Hope this helps.

http://www.geocities.com/mkerm8@sbcglobal.net/2005_0222ab_R.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mkerm8@sbcglobal.net/2005_0619af_R.jpg

skipper
09-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks OTH. My connecting rod is one I made myself but I think your Ideas will work on it. I'm going to give it a try. ----fish hawk

Silver_Streak
09-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice work OTH. Looks real professional!! ;)

Dennis
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
I don't have a rattle but that might just be a matter of time.

OTH, where did you get the foam spacer?

freon
10-04-2008, 06:34 AM
OTH, on other boats I have owned, I had the motor connected to the kicker at the front, like you have and like that set up a lot better than on the back side, easier to install, especially on the water not sitting in salt water rusting away or washing the grease out. I like that rubber spacer you put in, that rocks ;)