PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

Striperman
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Im just curious, has anyone ever caught sturgon in the American. I have never heard of one being caught but i dont see why they wouldnt be in the lower part of the river. I know people dont really target em but im sure people fishing roe or sardines or something along those lines has a chance to catch one. am i wrong?

Striperman

Diego916
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Years ago when I use to fish Nimbus and Sailor Bar a lot for salmon & steelies some guy caught a sturgy at the basin. I guess they are caught there from time to time but I know of no other places on the American.

SturgeonVirgin
11-02-2005, 07:51 AM
maybe 15-20 years ago was fishing the lower american, had a brand new spool of 20# mono on the reel. Second cast with a dine, got a tap; looked like a shaker, but set the hook anyway. uh oh, that aint a shaker. two big head shakes, then this thing started down river on me, smooth steady like no big deal to whatever was hooked. *I was banking it, so could not do much more than watch the line peel off the reel with the drag maxed. Got to the end of the spool, and guess what; the guy who spooled the line on the reel had taped the end on instead of tieing it to the spool. Bye to that spool of line. *Pretty sure that was a sturgeon.

Since, then I have always spooled my lines onto reels. Never trusted another shop again. *>:( :P

Striperman
11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Thats interesting. How would a sturgon get up into the basin? Maby in really high water years i could maby see them going all the way up but thats about it. Just a curious though. Thanks guys.

Striperman

mike22ca
11-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Danny I have seen a sturgeon caught at the wall about 10-12 years ago on roe. Thats the only one Ive ever seen caught up there though

Striperman
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
How big was it? Its been some years since we have had HIGH HIGH water besides last year. Those fish in there have had to be in there a long time.

Striperman

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Do any of you guys remember that bait shop on Folsom blvd near the new Home Depot? That guy tyold me about how sturgeon were caught in Folsom from times before the dam. I belived him and do think they go up there. But they do perfer muddy bottoms rather then rocky ;)

mjonesjr
11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I've heard they go as far as Chico/Woodson Bridge. I didn't catch any but sure did a lot of Shad. ;) :D ;)

Sceraming Reels,

fishrman4life
11-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Im guessing during the floods of 97, it might have been possible with such high waters, it may not be out of the question.

JIM_D.
11-03-2005, 06:20 AM
I have heard that in folsom near the dam that divers have seen very large sturgeon. JIM D.

Striperman
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
I know there is sturgon in folsom. I thought they were planted in there a long time ago. Maby im wrong. One of my buddies lives on salmon falls road and one day he was down by the bridge when DFG was doing shock counts on fish. They shocked up a 6footer. That blew me away. I have also heard stories of people fishing for catfish with mackeral and such and hooking things that bit, took off and spooled the person before they knew what happend. haha i kinda wanta catch a sturgon now. Ive never caught one..... :-[

Striperman

ctsron
11-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I have seen sturgeon caught at the wall at nimbus, no reason that cannot get up there. I have also seen them in the feather and saw a guy catch two in about 3hours on ghost shrimp, only in very high water years can they get past the falls in yuba city and live oak.

freon
11-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I have seen one very large one below my buddys small aluminum boat about fifteen years ago right above paradise beach. It was actually pretty funny, my buddy was running the motor slowly at the time and I was trying to figure out a way to snag it and then when he got a good look at it he floored the boat cuz it scared him. we were in a twelve foot boat and it looked like it was almost as big as the boat.

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I have seen one very large one below my buddys small aluminum boat about fifteen years ago right above paradise beach. It was actually pretty funny, my buddy was running the motor slowly at the time and I was trying to figure out a way to snag it and then when he got a good look at it he floored the boat cuz it scared him. we were in a twelve foot boat and it looked like it was almost as big as the boat.

Now thats funny ;D Again :D