PDA

View Full Version : Sac River Sturg/shore/beginner

sigmapirockstar
10-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey, I am now interested in sturgeon fishing from shore at sac river (more near Garcia Bend). I know I need a heavy pole, line, tackle...but what bait do I use, what rig, when do they run, how subtle do the hit, etc.? Any comments will help!
Thanks-

Beginner Sturgeon fisher

Know_Excuses
10-24-2005, 01:50 PM
I would either do a search of this board (there is a ton of info) or If I was you and I had the time I would go to the sturgeon bank party.Then you can see these guys in action and most likely get a wealth of knowledge. ;D

sunracer1957
10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Know

Now thats a very good idea, seeing how the majority of Sturgeon fishing guru's will be at one place at one time, and will have just enough beer in em to spill all the beans.. ::)

newtothegame
10-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Know... welcome to the board! As you can see from my screenname .. im kinda new to the dino game too :) ...but have had the luck of finding this board and getting the opportunity to fish with some serious talent!!

I cant say enough .. the guys on this board rock!! Always helpful and tell u like it is ... its a great bunch of guys!

Know_Excuses
10-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Know... welcome to the board! *As you can see from my screenname .. im kinda new to the dino game too :) ...but have had the luck of finding this board and getting the opportunity to fish with some serious talent!!

I cant say enough .. the guys on this board rock!! Always helpful and tell u like it is ... its a great bunch of guys!

Thanks New!
I have been fishing for stripers since I was teen with my grandpa, and for sturgeon for a few years now.I can honestly say that since I found this board I will be fishing entirely different from the way I have in years past.The stuff I have learned on this board in the short time I've been here is priceless to me.Unfotunatly work owns me untill at least mid november, but I plan on hitting the delta hard from then untill the water gets to high and fast for my taste.With the floating islands and trees like I saw last year and what not.Anyways thanks to all you helpful sniffers and I will post pics and reports when I get out.

innovate
10-24-2005, 10:32 PM
For any of you looking for shore sturgeon information, check out my website @ http://home.comcast.net/~r_aspiras/sturgeon

It's outdated, but a lot of the information there is still useful. The only thing I've changed as far as rigging goes is a longer surf rod, different reel and heaver terminal tackle.

later,
Roland

wading2fish
10-25-2005, 04:39 AM
How about your main line Innovate? Are you still going with 25 lb Big Game?

w2f

innovate
10-25-2005, 07:14 AM
wading2fish,

30lb test Power Pro or Maxima.

SaltyNick
10-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Nice site, Innovate!

This article describes fishing for sturgeon in the bay from a boat, but a lot of good info that might apply:
http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/11

Salty.

sigmapirockstar
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. It seems as if sturgeon shore fishing is similar to striper/catfish shore fishing...but with heavier equip. and diff. bait. It also seems it is about location...am I accurate? Thanks-

sneak1000
10-26-2005, 01:34 PM
really great info in that article...thank you

deltalover
10-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Both of those web sites were great! Thanks!

sigmapirockstar
10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
So the Sac River is a good place for sturgeon? I know you wrote something about hood/freeport...do they truly run in high numbers or do they come randomly and sparingly?

innovate
10-27-2005, 09:13 AM
The sturgeon start to make their way up after the bulk of the Salmon have passed. Big numbers of fish usually start to make their way up this way (Hood/Freeport) around February and March.

Diego916
10-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Hey inno if I could rate your site I'd give it 5 stars out of 5 ;D

Thanks for sharing!

innovate
10-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks Diego916!

I'll probably be updating the site here soon in time for the party, so keep checking back on it ;D ;D ;D

later,
Roland

tattooed_angler
10-27-2005, 08:46 PM
dude rowland nice stuff there bro. You put some time in that web page. Very good! Joe

phishinpat
10-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Indeed very nice website and very informative.
Got a crack out of the ghost shrimp can be eaten...funny stuff. I would love to see someone try.