PDA

View Full Version : let's talk sinkers...

jon_may
08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
o-k what do you use? sizes and styles?
i use cannonballs 8 oz at MBF on a slider... got tired of trying to match the current so i just use 8 oz all the time :P.....

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I use 10 ounce pyramids almost all the time. Unless the river is blowing I might got to 12s. Years ago I made some molds out of this 2 part epoxy stuff I had and when I have extra time (never) I pour a bunch of my own. Cheaper that way ;)

mjonesjr
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Interesting Jon, don't you find that using a ball sinker that you're offering tends to roll around and not hold bottom thus making it harder to detect or give you false strikes?

From my standpoint a sliding rig is most effective when youíre sinker holds its position. When a fish pulls your offering youíre rod tip drops giving you a bite indication.

Like a fulcrum or pivot point that a balance beam gives you superior bite detection compared to a fixed rod holder. Both will catch fish but a beam will out perform a fixed position because of the lack of resistance and the dramatic rod movement.

So if your sinker isnít holding doesnít that mean youíre slider setup is loosing its effectiveness? If a fish pulls on your offering and the sinker moves or rolls is the slider really working the way itís supposed too?

I personally do attempt to match the tide using mainly pyramid style sinkers or when the tide eases up and I start going much lighter I tend to go to flat round river sinkers AKA dollar or coin sinkers.

I also tend to take a large range of different weights ranging from 1oz up to 20oz and I take a couple of each in case I loose a setup. Thatís my .02.

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

jon_may
08-23-2005, 11:01 AM
good thoughts... i never really have too much problems with movement... except at tide change... or extreme current..(3+ knots)....i figure if the tide is going that fast, the bait is probably not on the bottom anyway... i don't want to mess with sinkers on the leader , either. so what about tide change? doesn't that pyramid dig in and cause big "snaps" as it pops out of the mud? so in the wind does it just "bow" your rod over and never pull out? (of the mud) and what happens if my bait doesn't move? does that mean i catch more stugis? i don't know if i like that idea! seriously, i might have to buy some pyraminds and check it out... but isn't 10 oz overkill?

donzitroller
08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
i figure if the tide is going that fast, the bait is probably not on the bottom anyway... i don't want to mess with sinkers on the leader , either. so what about tide change? doesn't that pyramid dig in and cause big "snaps" as it pops out of the mud? so in the wind does it just "bow" your rod over and never pull out? (of the mud) and what happens if my bait doesn't move? does that mean i catch more stugis? i don't know if i like that idea! seriously, i might have to buy some pyraminds and check it out... but isn't 10 oz overkill?
Sturgies feed on the bottom so your bait needs to be on the bottom. The pyramids will help you stay on the bottom, and 10 ounces sometimes ISN'T enough. I've had to go as heavy as 14 before. Using balancers will minimize the effect of your boat swinging in the wind, keeping a consistent tension on your line. If the bait doesn't move, it stays on the bottom where you want it. All the above is just my opinion, though, so take it for what it's worth.

FISH ON!

fishkiller
08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
8)Diamond sinkers are number 1 in moving water. As the tide slows and comes to a stop the coin or river sinker out performs all others.Ball sinkers roll back and forth with the water current,thus moving your bait back and forth.yes you maybe on the bottom but all over it is the problem. A stationary sinker that holds the bottom and keeps your bait there with little side movement is ideal and your chances of bite detection are greatly increased.I only use cannonballs for mooching salmon with 2 exception trolling for salmon and sometime a 1 lb ball is needed in deep holes 60-80 for sturgeon which most people dont fish but I do. 8)

tankgrunt
08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
I fish SBP a lot, and try and target periods of strong current. When the current gets going 16oz sometimes isn't enough to hold bottom, and as the current fluctuates I will change weight to match the conditions. The boat tends to not swing much there either, so ball sinkers work well. River sinkers will catch the current and flutter, making them worthless in strong SPB currents.

fishermen_chris
08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh they are worth something, someone had to buy them :P
But tank is right the current out there gets cooking so we use alot of heavy weights to keep bottom. Sometimes I feel like I shjould use my 85lb river anchor to hold ;D

jon_may
08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
sounds good.... i guess it's time to give pyramids a try...
old habits die hard, you gotta beat me over the head, ya know? :P

jon_may
08-24-2005, 07:36 AM
by the by, i can't beleive you guys balance your rods sturgi fishing!!! what happens if you get a suicide slam?
i have seen 'em crush it where you just can't get there fast enough? are you sitting right at the base of your rod?

DinoBlaster
08-24-2005, 09:08 AM
by the by, i can't beleive you guys balance your rods sturgi fishing!!! what happens if you get a suicide slam?
i have seen 'em crush it where you just can't get there fast enough? are you sitting right at the base of your rod?
Alot of people use safety leashes on their poles..mines made out of a small bungee cord so I can set hook and have plently of slack to fight a fish. Its that or leaving your clicker on..problem with that is forgetting to turn it off before you swing you pole..major backlash! :o

mjonesjr
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Alot of people use safety leashes on their poles..mines made out of a small bungee cord so I can set hook and have plently of slack to fight a fish. Its that or leaving your clicker on..problem with that is forgetting to turn it off before you swing you pole..major backlash! :o

jon_M, I like DB use a safety lanyard that also is made out of bungi-cord. The only difference is I added a quick release. It's made from one of the keyrings with a push button which works great for me. Mine is also lng enough to set the hook with out relaesing it as DB pointed out. That lanyard has saved my rod twice. Cheap insurance for a CalStar and Progear combo. ;) Below is a pic of it on Sunracers boat.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/530/s_Beam2.JPG

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

jon_may
08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
you guys are seriously messed up in the head! *;D
i really hadn't put that much thought (or effort) into it, but it makes sense.... do you really think you lose fish without the balancer? in other words, i know we have all had a "pump(s)" that stopped "pumping".... do you think the fish holds on longer? and therefore you hook more fish per bite? hmmmmmm....

mjonesjr
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
i really hadn't put that much thought (or effort) into it, but it makes sense.... do you really think you lose fish without the balancer? in other words, i know we have all had a "pump(s)" that stopped "pumping".... do you think the fish holds on longer? and therefore you hook more fish per bite? hmmmmmm....

Of course we're sick in the head...We're Sturgeon Stalkers! ;D That rig is near $400. :o Wouldn't use it with out a lanyard on a beam. ;)

You can't loose what you can't detect. The point is you will see more subtle bites and if your slider rig is weighted correctly for the tide you're you're fishing the fish will barely fell anything. Thus fish will tend to commit to the bite.

When I first made a beam, around January I wanted to see the difference. So I rigged a setup and put it on the beam while my boat was trailered in the front yard. I was stunned. :o :o The lack if resistance I felt it took to pull on the leader as well as how much rod tip movement it caused. 8)

I then compared it to a conventional fixed position rod holder and couldn't believe the difference, thus I'd always use a beam from that day forward. If you ask those who use a beam I think they'd say the same thing.

I saw someone who made a real cool one on the end of a piece of pvc pipe that slides right into a standard fixed rod holder.

mjonesjr

fishrman4life
08-24-2005, 05:34 PM
what type of sinker would u want to use in this tourney? I need to know so I know what to buy.

JIM_D.
08-25-2005, 05:53 AM
My balancers are made of PVC pipe held by rod holders, I have a piece of old bike inertube slipped over them to keep down the sliding and a rubberband around the rod. Holds position real good, even in wind. JIM D.

mjonesjr
08-25-2005, 09:27 AM
what type of sinker would u want to use in this tourney? I need to know so I know what to buy.

As always it becomes personal choice but a basically itís outlined in this thread. For fast moving water youíll want larger sized Pyramids, for slower moving water use River/Dollar. I personally like to stock up on terminal tackle and sinkers so that Iím not always going to the store as well as the fact that some places donít always have what I want or need but Iíd suggest the following sizes. Get at least a couple of each for a good range.

Pyramids: 6, 8, 10, 12 & 16oz Ė I use up to 20oz but they are hard to find.
River/Dollar 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12oz

You may be able to get away with skipping some of the sizes for each type if needed. Hope this helps. ;)

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

DinoBlaster
08-25-2005, 11:56 AM
i really hadn't put that much thought (or effort) into it, but it makes sense.... do you really think you lose fish without the balancer? in other words, i know we have all had a "pump(s)" that stopped "pumping".... do you think the fish holds on longer? and therefore you hook more fish per bite? hmmmmmm....I guess then just hold your pole every waiting moment ;D

jon_may
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
naw, i just throw it in the rod holder and wait for them to hook themselves.... maybe that's why i don't catch that many.... ;)

dandeuce
10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I use a 4oz torpedo weight most of the time and occasionally go to a 6 oz, same style if 4 won't stay on the bottom . Only time I've needed more is like at the Black Can in 100' of water , don't really like fishing in those conditions .

Much more weight from shore starting at 8 oz. up to a pound!

Dan