PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Leaders

MSzychulda
10-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Just courious what everyone is using for leaders. I have been using 60# plastic coated steel leaders cut 2-3 ft in length, with crimps. I make these with one hook usually, twisted around the hook shank to hold the hook straight.
I have read some articles recently on using double line tied with a bimini twist or a spider hitch. Also there is some good experiments coming out using dacron and braided lines for leaders due to their suppleness and strength.
I am thinking about trying out the double mono leaders myself. Simply because I always have mono on my reels, and extra spools with me. It is easy to tie and replace when frayed. So what is your favorite?

GCinGV
10-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Iíve also been using 60# steel leaders but after braking off two big fish last year, Iím definitely ready for something new. In both cases it was on a reel with 30# mono and it was the 60# steel that broke. Seems like the slightest flaw or kink turns the 60# steel into 10# test at best. Even with changing out the rigs constantly, I just donít have the confidence in the steel anymore.
I like to put the slider on the rig itself so Iím thinking of trying really heavy mono because itís stiffer then the braid. I suspect the braid may wrap around the weight too easy. Anyone tried mono with the slider on the rig?
GC

dimpala95
10-07-2005, 09:14 AM
If you're using more than 1/2oz. then the sinker must be at least 18" or more from the hook.

Is the actual cable breaking or is it coming out of the crimped ferrul? I can't see breaking #60 or #90 cable just by the fish running and pulling drag. Your reels are probably only exerting about #15-20 of drag max. The nylon coating adds minimal strength. It's really only there for protection of the cable from the enviroment(salt).

I have been using #60 and or #90 steel leaders forever and have never had any problems. I even use it for sharks and have not had any failures.

fishkiller
10-07-2005, 02:56 PM
8)Gc I have been makin some leaders out of 100, 140, 200 pound mono trying them out they seem to be very good but the 100 pond mono is only good once or twice then it needs to be redone the 200 is like throwin a stick, the 120 japan made mono is the best yet. I also like 90 pound dacron when it can be found. 8)

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Dacron, I only use it when the water is high but its tough as helll ;)

MSzychulda
10-07-2005, 06:30 PM
SS, I have seen some drawings and pic's of using the Dacron leaders from the Columbia River boys. I have heard it is soft enough, that the finicky biters don't feel it. I will have to try it...Heck if it is good enough for Sturgeon Stomper ;D
What brand and test do you like to use? I know the sturgeon book by Angelo and Abe Cuanang (sp?) also has a dacron leader set-up in it. i think the ability to tie knots removes some of the crimping problems (kinking, too much crimp pressure, ect)
I looked through the PIC board, and I have to say you catch some HUGE fish! I hope to catch some big fish in Red Bluff this winter. I anchored above a hole while salmon fishing a few days back, and had 4 different Sturgeon rolling behind the boat. One surfaced and swam right up to the boat, almost like it was sizing me up! I saw two greens and two white, one I would say was 7 ft plus.

doneli
10-07-2005, 09:03 PM
i got some 90# dacron it is nice and soft i got it at outdoor sportsman on stockton. it is white. i wonder if the color will afect the sturgeon bite? is the sturgeon color shy?? the dacron used by columbia river boys is kind of greenish color. does it make any diference? i haven't used the dacron i have because i am kind of not too sure about the color. what do you think sniffers?? is white color ok?
doneli

Mr.Pescador
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Color doesn't matter a bit.Look how small the eyes are on those big fish.I think they're damn near blind.They feed by scent alone.They seem to be pretty sensitive to feel though.The softness of dacron is probably a good thing.The guide I fished with in Oregon used white dacron.I've never used it myself yet,but I will if I can find any.No one seems to carry it around here.

MSzychulda
10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I think Walmart may carry it, under the name Gorilla Braid. I could be wrong, but I do know it is a white colored braided line. i will look a little closer during my next trip there, and probably pick some up.
What length leaders do you all like to use? I am using about 2 ft now. I may try some double hook leaders this year as well. I read you can tye in the hooks and a bead using a perfection loop on the dacron leaders.
I have afeeling I will need to re-grease my drags this coming season! ;)

GCinGV
10-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Dimpala,
Iíve been using about a 42Ē leader with the slider stop 18Ē above the hook. It only gives the line about 18Ē to slide but it seems to be enough to see the bites as long as thereís no slack in the line. I never had a problem with the wire either until last year. In both cases it was the line that broke; but their was a rookie on the rod both times so I suspect there was a kink on the line I didnít notice. My fault for not checking the lines more often.

Fishkiller,
Do you use crimps or knots to tie the heavy mono?
Thanks GC

fishkiller
10-08-2005, 08:29 AM
8)GC seems to be a good bet so far that a crimp at the hook and loop and knot for attaching is working out fine . But dacron is knots only. 8)

innovate
10-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I use knots on my leaders - a perfection loop. It worked well with 60lb test and landed my share of fish, but I'm going with 80lb and 100lb test now.

Here's how it looks:

http://home.comcast.net/~r_aspiras/sturgeon/perfectiondouble.jpg

later,
Roland

doneli
10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1659/fishing.jpg

with dacron i don't use knots i insert a wire with a small hook on one end trough the core of the dacron line about a inch and a half from the end and run it about half inch . then hook the end of the line and pull it trough the line until it comes out, unhook the line and pull back until it disapears and is done. as harder you pull the hook as tighter it gets. what you think is it better than knots? or you guys prefer to use knots?
doneli

mjonesjr
10-09-2005, 09:47 AM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1659/fishing.jpg

with dacron i don't use knots i insert a wire with a small hook on one end trough the core of the dacron line about a inch and a half from the end and run it about half inch . then hook the end of the line and pull it trough the line until it comes out, unhook the line and pull back until it disapears and is done. as harder you pull the hook as tighter it gets. what you think is it better than knots? or you guys prefer to use knots?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * doneli

Doneli, I use 120lb hollow fill Spectra. I used to make knotless ones as you are but found that to correctly make it not slip it requires too much material and is too time consuming. Plus it's pretty pricy. I used to use Dacron but prefer the Spectra. Using typical spectra like Power Pro Iíve found that the line diameter is to thin for my preference. It can be hard to untangle at times and the hollow fill doesnít do this. Also the diameter is larger and is also much softer as it doesnít have a coating like Power Pro or other equivalent Spectra. From all the materials Iíve tried this for me is by far the best thing Iíve found and Iíve used Dacron, Mono and other various types of Spectra.

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

Mr.Pescador
10-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Penn321, gorilla braid is not dacron.It's a cheap braid.I tried it once and don't recomend it.It frays way too easy.The good braids have a coating to hold the strands together.Gorilla just winds a small green thread around it.The thread breaks and the fibers come apart.

MSzychulda
10-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Thanks, I will make sure I get the real stuff. It would be nice to have a more flexible leader. I have been practicing tying some up with the perfection loop on mono. Goes together well, and the knots mean one less thing to buy (clips,pliers). I may also try out a binimi twist and see how it works out. Just double my main line...hmmm Lots of thing to try, but that is what makes it fun.

FortheKids
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I have a partial spool of 80# dacron, if i can find it. Is the 90 # the min., or would the 80 be good? Its the white stuff.

mjonesjr
10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a partial spool of 80# dacron, if i can find it. Is the 90 # the min., or would the 80 be good? Its the white stuff.

80lb should be fine. Dacron is not Spectra though. Dacron is not designed for the smaller diameter the way Spectra products are such as Power Pro and others.

MSzychulda
10-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Well I purchased some super line today to make some leaders. I could not find Dacron anywhere, so I found some Berkley Whiplash Pro braided Dyneema on sale. I tied up a few leaders for tonight. My buddy and I are doing an overnight sturgeon/striper anything that bites trip. I will give this a try and post a report (hopefully).
I used double palomar knots and a some double hook set-ups with the perfection loop and beads. Seems like tough stuff, and very flexible. I had a hard time cutting it even with titanum coated scissors! I kept my leaders around 18-20 inches, so hopefully they are enough. Wish me luck! :)

doneli
10-15-2005, 07:54 AM
mjonesjr. thanks for the information. i am going to get some spectra and try it. thanks again and good luck to all of you
doneli

MSzychulda
10-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Well the leaders worked great. I also got a new hook file and practiced some diffrent hook sharpening techniques on my lazer sharps. Both multi-angle and chisle cut. The chisle cut worked well...at least on the catfish! Darn little bait stealers wouldn't leave me alone. Good thing I had that 65 lb leader for those 1/2 pound cats LOL. It was intresting, my buddy did not sharpen any hooks and did not get one hook-up. I sharpened all mine and got hook-up after hook-up. I would like to play that one off to skill, but I know better :)
Any case, I like the flexible braid leader so much better, I will save my wire leaders for sharks and lings.

dandeuce
10-24-2005, 12:46 PM
I use 60 lb steel and if I see a kink forming I get out another crimp and touch it up . Always seems to kink at the hook or swivel so no reason to start anew . I use one hook on all baits but grass shrinp - two hooks for them . Have tried 100 lb . mono at the insistence of the deckhand on a partyboat , was ok but I feel safer with steel . The boat was supplying bait and leaders , think they perfer mono because it is cheaper !

Dan