PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...Advice needed

JV
10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Hello pros, I'm have been trying to land me a sturgeon for 2 seasons and have no luck because it seems you all been catching all the fish.

Where are the hot spot at? I'm located in San Jose.
I don't own a boat so I will be fishing from land.
I just came back from Iselton on the weekend with no luck with sturgeon but landed a few stripers.

Also what kind of reel setup everyone using?
Thanks and FISH ON!!!

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome JV. I would suggest reading ;) Good luck and again welcome ;)

DragonSlayer
10-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the boards JV :) Here's a link for bankies http://www.pierfishing.com/The best Sturgeon banky i know in the east bay is mjonesjr.(you'll find him under members) Look him up and read his previous posts. There are tons of great fishermen on this board but in that catagory he is the one to ask. IMO *One other place to look is on the hitchhiker post. http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=hitchhikeThis is the place to go if you wanna get a ride with someone with an open seat on their boat. Good luck and post your results.

DS 8)

fishkiller
10-23-2005, 04:59 PM
8)Hey JV welcome to the boards. SJ well try Alviso slough first then dunbartan bridge pier and the San Mateo.If you fish up this way get a map from sanpablo bay through the delta . Check the rivers they are accessable by foot napa and so on . Monty has a place called the red barn and Beldens are top spots but any place can produce at any given time.The martinez pier is good so is the state park off hwy 780 and Benicia water front on 1st street. Antioch pier.So get a map search them out plan a trip. Need anymore info drop me a pm. 8)

dandeuce
10-24-2005, 12:44 AM
JV ,
Watch the reports for Montezuma Slough at Grizzley Is. , when you see reports of more than a single keeper being caught , head to Grizzley Is. A good spot to fish is just west of the big bridge , cast as far as you can using 8 or more oz. of weight . The regular baits , grass and ghost shrimp work but freshly cured salmon roe is the ticket . I've lived in the area all my life (50 yrs.) and caught many sturgeon and just started using roe the last couple of years , its absolutely the best bait . You could also try the Red Barn area , a small pier a mile or so over the bridge . It is usually very crowded and unless your a local the regulars won't move over to let you squeeze in . Also good idea to be an expert at casting there and use the same weights as everyone else fishig there . Personally I don't fish the pier unless I just want a good bull session with the regulars . The best time to fish that area is in the late winter , but you can catch them year round .

Good Luck , Dan