PDA

View Full Version : mbf 10-9-05 pics!

jon_may
10-10-2005, 08:09 AM
3 sturg ,
1@ 32" *:(
1@ 42" *:(
1@ 89" !!! *;D ;D ;D
that monster came completley out of the water after being hooked, it was tremendous! ;D
my buddy has the pics, as soon as he sends them to me i'll post 'em! ;D
http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/9730/pa0907370tt.jpghttp://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3613/pa0907416fd.jpg[/img]
the fight is on!
[img]

Diamondback70
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
She's a HOG, but one thing....you're gonna get some guff for pulling her from the water :-/

Diamondback70
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Was she caught by the ships or off the sandbar? What bait did you use? Incoming/Outgoing tide ?

jon_may
10-10-2005, 03:20 PM
south end of the boats( farthest from the bridge?) using piles with grass... i used roe but only got 1 small one

I KNOW, GUYS PLEASE DON'T PILE ON.... HE WOULD'VE THROWN A FIT WITHOUT THE PICS,
"fish of a lifetime" were his words (he doesn't go fishing much and when he does he doesn't catch much)

fishkiller
10-10-2005, 04:17 PM
8)Nice we been getting quite a few of those in the upper part of susuin bay , but next time take the pic of her still in the water like the regs say. you may of hurt some internal organs fish of a life time or not thats what happens when there removed food for thought if you get another . 8)

krzyfshrmn
10-10-2005, 04:41 PM
WOW.... WHAT A BEAST :o :o

PlugROCKSTAR
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Calcutta 700 ROCKS ;D Nice Fish.

fishguts
10-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Very nice fish, big girth, yes a pic of a lifetime.

mjonesjr
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Holy Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeot :o That is a fish of a lifetime.

Bassassin
10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Holy Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeot :o

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;D

newtothegame
10-10-2005, 11:04 PM
wooooowww .. very nice fish! Congrats!

Diego916
10-11-2005, 12:38 AM
she was o-k though, no bleeding or anything, and after about a minute she took of like a rocket

Well there you go :)

NICE fish! ;D

DragonSlayer
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Holy Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeot :o That is a fish of a lifetime.
Sorry had to quote him one more time ......... it's the first thing i thought. That's what i want for christmas (and i don't mean the Calcutta) was the second thing ;D

DS 8)

tankgrunt
10-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry had to quote him one more time ......... it's the first thing i thought. That's what i want for christmas (and i don't mean the Calcutta) was the second thing ;D

DS 8)

I hate to burst your bubble DS, but I just got off the phone with Santa, and he KNOWS WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER ;D ;D ;D

J/K... Get up to the Columbia next year and you will definitely get your wish, and then some 8)

MB_Kevin
10-12-2005, 09:10 PM
nice. I would have to have a pic with that fish if I got it too. ;)

StripeSideChaser
10-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Okay, I'm going to get "hated on" for this. I know I don't post much, but the guy says "don't flame me" and the only person with the cajones to say something other than "nice fish" is FishKiller?
Dude, was that picture worth risking the millions of eggs (if female) that fish was likely to produce throughout the rest of its life? If you really like catching sturgeon, try treating them as though you want them to survive... that way, there will still be enough around to catch in a few years!
Sorry, but I have 4 boys, and I have dreams of catching sturgeon with them and their boys, many years down the road.
Fishkiller... a big WTG to you! You corrected the guy and at the same time didn't just totally flame him.
Oh well, I'll probably be un-invited from the next Sniffer event.

jon_may
10-13-2005, 07:55 AM
it's all good, i knew what i was doing when i took the fish out of the water, and i knew what i was doing when i posted the pics.... i'm actually pleasantly surprised at the lack of scathing comments, i expected to get hammered....i've landed many sturgeon and released them (including 100+ keeper size fish) one time i snared a 62" , had to cut the leader, and about an hour later caught the same fish! (leader hanging out of his gill plate) so i know that with careful handeling these fish will survive, they are tough, unlike some weaker species. and when my buddy is begging to land it i just couldn't say no. that's a choice i made.

mjonesjr
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
it's all good, i knew what i was doing when i took the fish out of the water,

What exactly does that entail? Meaning how was a fish that size boated? Since larger fish like that have a very hard time supporting their own body weight when they’re out of the water because they can damage internal organs. Does that mean it was netted? Because snaring a fish that size and concentrating so much weight in such a small area would really harm a fish I would think.

We don't need a flam fest here, more than anything it's a way that others who read these posts will learn what not to do.

Just wondering???

mjonesjr

StripeSideChaser
10-13-2005, 09:17 AM
As if enough hadn't already been said...
The mortality rate really can't be measured in just a few hours. When a big fish fights, he is fighting for his life (yeah, everybody knows that)... they put everything they have into that fight and sometimes actually build up toxic levels of lactic acid, (which can take 24 - 48 hours to peak out... think about what happens if you work out too hard.. the sore muscles come 24 - 48 hours later), combine the high level of lactic acid, and the possibility of damaged internal organs caused by lifting too heavy of a fish, and you have an increased mortality rate.
Look at the picture of the striper in my signature... even though I'm obviously not supporting it by the stomache, I may have caused damage by lifting that big of a fish out of the water... next year, I won't even bother boating a fish that big, if I can help it.
I'm not trying to beat anyone up, I'm just really selfish... I want to be able to continue catching these fish, and still have some around when my sons become parents.

Oh yeah, and BTW... I knew you'ld step up and say something Michael!

jon_may
10-13-2005, 11:12 AM
actually, that's not what i mean-
i mean i knew i would get grief from landing and photos of a fish that big, i just couldn't resist the temptation to post them.
anyway, there were 3 guys, i grabbed the tail with a towel, 1 grabbed the mouth, and 1 had the snare(slightly behind the head). i wouldn't do it again, though, as 1 buddy(the one at the mouth) is still out of work, he hurt his back lifting it. by the way, this was the same person who wanted to land it. so i guess what goes around, comes around.

jon_may
10-13-2005, 11:14 AM
[]it's all good, i knew what i was doing when i took the fish out of the water,

see previous post :(

Diego916
10-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Okay, I'm going to get "hated on" for this. *I know I don't post much, but the guy says "don't flame me" and the only person with the cajones to say something other than "nice fish" is FishKiller?

::)

I think everyone here agrees its not the best way to release the fish, but he did have several guys to help him take the fish out and he released it after the pic, in good condition (took off like a rocket).

Besides, it was a nice fish ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
As if enough hadn't already been said...
The mortality rate really can't be measured in just a few hours. *When a big fish fights, he is fighting for his life (yeah, everybody knows that)... they put everything they have into that fight and sometimes actually build up toxic levels of lactic acid, (which can take 24 - 48 hours to peak out... think about what happens if you work out too hard.. the sore muscles come 24 - 48 hours later), combine the high level of lactic acid, and the possibility of damaged internal organs caused by lifting too heavy of a fish, and you have an increased mortality rate.
Look at the picture of the striper in my signature... even though I'm obviously not supporting it by the stomache, I may have caused damage by lifting that big of a fish out of the water... next year, I won't even bother boating a fish that big, if I can help it.
I'm not trying to beat anyone up, I'm just really selfish... I want to be able to continue catching these fish, and still have some around when my sons become parents.

Oh yeah, and BTW... I knew you'ld step up and say something Michael! Ditto ;)

I wasnt going to say anything as this topic has come up before. Read the regs dude. What you did was illegal and very harmfull for the fish. Im not flamin you Im flamin mad if anybody cares :-/ Leave the biggons alone

FortheKids
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I read the rules , I read lots of posts on how to, what to, what not to, a wealth of information. Reading this thread, seeing the massive fish, and realizing just how much it might be injured in the wrong situation, made a huge impression on me. It has now been brought to my attention, how fragile they are, and how old! I knew all this before, but its more real now, I guess. I am probably not the only one, many people would want to be in that pic, now conservation can be served! I for one will keep the hogs in the water, if I am ever that lucky!

Diego916
10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I didn't know the regs state you can't remove them :o

My bad :(

mjonesjr
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Yep, and if it was that important to me, which it probably would. I'd have stripped to near but naked and put my butt in the water as long as it wasn't kicking to bad and taken my pic. Anyone ever see Capt. Jim's pic like that? Awsome!!

Now that I think about if I do hook one that big and this time bring it to the boat that's exactly what I'm goona do.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3157/beer5qm.gif

jon_may
10-13-2005, 02:36 PM
checked regs

gentlemen, i apologize

i was sure to get grief, but did not realize it was illegal.
no matter what anyone says or has an opinion about i thought it was just all talk, however, i am one of the first people to decry illegal activity and it seems as though i have slipped into that area.
opinions are opinions,i respect most of the opinions on these boards and although everyone may not have agreed or done the same thing i did, they are still just opinions -

illegal is illegal and it appears as though what i did was illegal.

Know_Excuses
10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Jon M I dont think this is your fault ,and I was glad when no one was getting on you.Your buddy caught the fish and it seems he was gonna get a pic with your help or not.At least by you helping to take it out of the water that was one more person helping and less stress on the fish.As you said before your freind does not fish much and from what it seems, isnt as educated as some of the posters here are on damaging fish.There are other variables others might not be taking in.He could have got mad if you didnt help and threw you in the water, or maybe he was drunk.Bottom line you should have your freind set up an account so they can yell at him. I think its pretty obvious that if it were your fish it would have been let go in the water.Your only mistake was posting the pic.Which I enjoyed because I have never seen a fish so big.Just my take.Now where did I put my beer.

Diego916
10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Jon M I dont think this is your fault ,and I was glad when no one was getting on you.Your buddy caught the fish and it seems he was gonna get a pic with your help or not.At least by you helping to take it out of the water that was one more person helping and less stress on the fish.As you said before your freind does not fish much and from what it seems, isnt as educated as some of the posters here are on damaging fish.There are other variables others might not be taking in.He could have got mad if you didnt help and threw you in the water, or maybe he was drunk.Bottom line you should have your freind set up an account so they can yell at him. I think its pretty obvious that if it were your fish it would have been let go in the water.Your only mistake was posting the pic.Which I enjoyed because I have never seen a fish so big.Just my take.Now where did I put my beer.

I'd say that just about raps it up. Well said :)

Peacekeeper
10-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Point #1:

Don't let the lack of negative replies be an influence on any of you readers out there who are considering such a foolish act! The thought of that fish being waisted for a mere photo is kinda sickening, don't you think? I really doubt if that fish could be dragged into a boat harm free!

Point #2

Its not impossible to get a nice photo of an oversized sturgeon; just look at the sturgeon photo album; Experienced Columbia and Snake River Anglers would prob puke after seeing that photo, then after they would just say "typical Californian!

Point #3 ON THE POSITIVE SIDE ;)

Thats a Freaking awsome fish! The last time we caught a fish like that, it was still legal to keep em. The biggest fish we caught was over 7'long and weighed around 135 Lbs. We caught it off the shore on the Sac above Knights Landing. We fought it for 45 minutes, dragged it up an embankment, marveled at it for about ten minutes as it pounded around and shook the ground (literally). We tied a rope threw its mouth and tossed her back in the water where she floated for about 14 hours before bringing her back out to go home. Guess what, it was another fight all over again!!! I'm pretty confident that fish wouldve survived.

Today, that fish would never see the inside of my boat, that is if I were good/lucky enough to hook her!

Congrats to the rookie who caught her, that must've been a blast, but next time, do the fishery a favor and keep her inthe water,,,

Peacekeeper
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM

Was it the guys boat who caught the fish? Some freaking rookie wouldnt be making that call on my boat,,,,,damn it, enough of this drama, I'm going fishing,,,,

StripeSideChaser
10-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Jon_M... way to step up, man! Takes a big man to admit he's wrong (and an even bigger one to apologize). You just took a step up in my book (as if that matters to anyone but me!)

I definitely believe that whatever goes on in my boat is my responsibility... learned that from my dad, who built our first boat when I was 4.

MJonesJr had a great idea... if you look at pics of fishing on the Columbia, that's exactly what they do... if a guides client wants a pic with a fish, they go in the water to get it.

I hooked a monster at a pier this winter (have found now that it probably would have been a record from a pier), and was so irritated with myself that I forgot my camera that night. I wouldn't have gotten in the water there, but I would have liked to have taken a pic with the fish near the pier, and the pilings for perspective.

BTW, the monster I caught was due to some MJonesJr fishing tips and luck... not any special skill that I possess.

somebody
10-15-2005, 06:29 PM
i for one am glad he posted and showed the picture. as a nv. fisherman i have never fished for sturgeon but want to I learned a very valuable lesson and learned that you people have honor while not being to hard on the miscreant. without honor a person is nothing.

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
End of subject :P

fishkiller
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
8)Well there has been some really good replies to JonM posting of the dino in the boat.I for one am glad to see that most people posted not to total flame Jon and his friend ,but rather educated with concern shows a lot about a person who can and those that cant. I think our fishery will continue to grow with proper care and education.Jon M way to step up Bud and big props for not blowin yer top when the posting started and know should come to an end.I think your bud may of caught his fish of a life time and yours is swimming on a path till you 2 meet. When it happens it seems you will be fully educated to handle the situation to the fullest exstent. Tight lines there Jon M see yea on the water with screamin reels and no relief insite . Just getur done. And remmember it aint bragging if you can back it up with a pic bro.<<THEFISHKILLER>>