PDA

View Full Version : Suisun Sturgeon Holes?

fishwrong
10-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I've been lurking for quite a while on the sturgeon board, but I have decided to post and ask for some help. I've been sturgeon fishing for quite a while and am familiar with fishing the the Delta, Montezuma Slough, the Sacramento River up near Colousa and even been up to the Columbia twice. I haven't fished Suisun Bay (with much success anyway) a lot however.

My question is what type of water am I looking for when sturgeon fishing the Suisun Bay area? My assumption is that I want to be fishing the deepest areas I can find during small tides and the slower parts of normal tides and then moving the tops of ledges and drops into deeper water during larger tides. The problem is I'm not sure this is the best strategy.

I find that if I have confidence in a strategy then I stick with the plan and have better success, but when I'm not sure what I'm tryin will work, I tend to bounce around from spot to spot too much and don't have as much success.

I've got a lot of respect for many of the people who post here, so I'm looking for some of your reasons for fishing the spots you do.

Hope that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

levelwined
10-06-2005, 08:42 PM
From what what you have said I think you are defenantly on the right track. I usually look for the same type of struckture as what you just descrbed. Although I usually dont bounce around that much. It odes take a while but you will find your spots. And when you find them try them often if you wait they will come ;)

Mr.Pescador
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
My personal strategy is to fish where the fish are.You've got the right idea of where to look.If you find concentrations of fish,stop and fish there.If not,move on until you find them.You need to have a catalog of spots to check.That comes with time and experience.I find it worth the time to do a little scouting before soaking bait.You will cut down on a lot of dead time.Don't just sit in one spot all day just because you caught a fish there once and hope another one comes by.Some times you won't find a bunch of fish,but you might mark one here and there.Make marks on your GPS or map and you might see a pattern.Often you will see those marks form a line following an edge or depth contoure.That's a path they are travelling.That's when I'll stay put and try to intercept them.Do your scouting and take notes.I've got maps with scribbles all over them.I can see from your post that you're allready thinking right.Put your time in on the water and you'll be on them in no time. Good luck and keep us posted on what you learn.

fishkiller
10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
8)Fishwrong so far sounds like you are off to a good start, the main thing is you are trying . The structure you speak of is a good starting point, but like Mr. Peascador said he prefers to fish were the fish are meaning you first have to dial in your sonar to see what you are looking for. Once done it will make your life easier.The type of tides you mention are not my preference for those spots ,but I dont read a tide book either and dont need one.I know the structure I need at any tide ,When I get to my boat I look at the bank by the boat slips to see if its coming in or out thats all I need.It also helps to have a very good chartplotter that shows contours depths ledges and so on or you are really fishing blind.If you can see the chartplotter and the shelf and mark fish you have to be able to picture where that fish is sitting and how and where to anchor to catch him.With just a sonar it is hard to judge the spot. 8)

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Sonar ::)

I go till I see um or smell um ;D

fishkiller
10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
8)which is about what percenage of the time stomp.Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks . 8)

fishwrong
10-09-2005, 01:14 PM
"disagreeumption"????

Guess I should read what I write before I post....

In any event, I appreciate your responses. Up in the river I've always looked to fish just above holes. I try and get my bait just on the top ledge as the bottom drops into the hole. I've had better luck fishing there than down in the bottom of the hole itself. Just wondering if it works the same down in Suisun.

Sounds like I need to spend more time looking for fish on the depthfinder and jumpers. I've never been convinced that I've caught a sturgeon that I saw on the depthfinder, but seeing them on the screen and jumping sure makes me feel better about spending more time in the area. Also sounds like I should look around a little more if I'm not getting bit or seeing fish.

I appreciate the advice and will post on my results.

Oh, and how exactly does that sturgeon smelling technique work????? I always figured fishsniffer was a figure of speach....

Thanks....

fishkiller
10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
8)stomper is different he can smell fishy and see them jump then he sits at 174 degree angle of the port side until they bite works for him. ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishguts
10-10-2005, 04:07 AM
I could swear I saw him go on point off the bow of the boat when they found the sturgeon. LOL.

NorCal_Bangers
10-10-2005, 04:33 PM
wait i read and heard somewhere on here that he,

"Yells, here fishy..fishy...here fishy, fishy..."

and they jump into the boat.lol

ohhh, that must be after he see's them and smells them.....lol

to great fishermen go the spoils.... ;) ;)

NCB

Baitchucker
10-12-2005, 11:07 PM
FW, along with what Mr Pescador has replied, it's really important to understand how the water flows in Suisun Bay. Get a good chart and try and figure out where the bottom contour would expose the most clams during the tidal movement (in both directions). As well, after you pull up anchor, look for signs of clams on the clumps of mud stuck to the anchor tangs. When you start seeing those clams, you'll know you are in the feeding grounds of the sturgies.