PDA

View Full Version : ANCHORS????????

Hinkley
10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Any body ever have a hard time in the flats of San Pablo or up in Honker getting the Anchor to set.What is the best all around Anchor to use in the delta, bays??????Tired of not bein able to fish cerain holes.Thanks

mjonesjr
10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I think you need to answer a few questions like. What kind of anchor are you using, chain length, how much rope you let out etc.

afkvrts
10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I use a pivoting anchor with a 3-4 foot chain.
I usually let out alot of rope so as not to get sunk!
Since my boat sitts low to the water I let out more line than necessary.

I have never had the anchor slip once it is set, I've used this in martinez, the delta, north sac river, lakes, every where. !!! I like it.

Hinkley
10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I use a danforth stle anchor w/6ft of chain and have 200ft of rope.I was told the delta style anchor would take care of all problems.

DragonSlayer
10-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I use a danforth stle anchor w/6ft of chain and have 200ft of rope.I was told the delta style anchor would take care of all problems.

Well thatís a good set up to stay at anchor. The question Iíd have is one ....... how big a boat and how big is the anchor, and two are you setting your anchor as you are moving backwards in the current or are you throwing it. If you get use to setting your anchor as you drift back you'll get a positive result.
I see people all the time throw there anchors and by the time their moving backwards the anchor is 20 yards behind them. Try dropping the anchor just under water till you see it will drop at least straight down then feel it hit the bottom so it will lay out in the right direction to have a good set.IMO

DS 8)

mjonesjr
10-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I was just going to point out what DS said. You have the right gear. Maybe his suggestions on how you're actually doing it is causing it or maybe not letting out enough line?

Hey DS, you still fish?? ??? ;D ???

fence_man
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Sometimes throwing the anchor out or dropping it to fast will foul up the anchor and it will not set. Most of the time I lower it down as I drift back .But current,wind,depth can make it hard , and hardest of the bottom also.

fishkiller
10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
8)Danforth anchors wont foul like the pivoting ones with rings. He needs more chain or anchor, San Pablo and the bays are shallow water, but have fast water, sounds like he is setting anchor but is misjudging for current flow and when the boat gets in the current the anchor tends to slip and turn. What type boat do you have. 8)

tankgrunt
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I fish SPB a lot, and getting my anchor to stick is not even remotely a problem. Getting it out of that thick gooey mud is a pain :P

GCinGV
10-11-2005, 05:15 AM
The chain should be about half the length of your boat. To set in heavy current the boat needs to be moving in reverse faster then the current or the anchor will hit bottom backwards and not hold.
GC

DragonSlayer
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
I was just going to point out what DS said. You have the right gear. Maybe his suggestions on how you're actually doing it is causing it or maybe not letting out enough line?

Hey DS, you still fish?? ??? ;D ???

Hi Mike ...... yes i do ;D ........ and i even catch now and then ;) been real busy the last few months but i got a nice Salmon last weekend so it's getting back to normal. I'll be down to see you and your new boat soon ....... thanks for askin

DS 8)