PDA

View Full Version : Clams

dbass
10-06-2005, 07:02 AM
I've read ssome of the previous post regarding finding clams in the stomach of dinos, do they also eat the large asian clams / mussels? Those are giants size compared to are largest clams we have around here, two mussels would make a nice bait.

mjonesjr
10-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Considering the amount of clams that Sturgeon consume Iíd go with the local fresh water clams as apposed to fish market ones. Though Iíve never tried it personally it only makes sense to give it a try. Youíd need quite a few of the little guys on a hook but like so many point out we find them in their stomachs all the time. I only see one deterrent which would be attracting catfish. But as with all the other sturgeon baits you pick up others you arenít necessarily targeting anyway.

Itís worth a shot. I also wondered about putting a whole bunch in a nylon sack like youíd warp roe balls. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

dbass
10-06-2005, 09:40 AM
There used to be tons of these asian mussels in Port, and they are about palm size. I'm pretty sure anywhere a ship empties their ballast they can be found. I just wanted to know if the sturgeon are eating this variety of clam, are the clams found are they the younger marble size or larger?

mjonesjr
10-06-2005, 09:43 AM
They arverage about the size of a quarter to half $ coin.

jon_may
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
try clams! i've always thought they would be a good bait, judging from the fact that EVERY sturgeon i've ever caught/cleaned has a gut full of clams and shells! never have gotten around to trying them as bait.... hmmmmmmmm...

mjonesjr
10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Yea I thought of putting a handfull and wrapping them in nylon sack. Smashing them crack the shells and release scent trail. ;) ;D ;)

innovate
10-06-2005, 01:18 PM
2lbs of freshwater clams at the bait shop are pretty cheap.

Just a thought, but maybe you could crack 'em all open and dunk them in a water/rock salt mix to toughen them up before using them as bait.

Roland

fishkiller
10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
8) ;) You mike I think them white clams they eat average more the size of a dime that are swallowed and bigger ones are crushed then eaten. 8)

fence_man
10-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Have gotten sturg. on sm. crabs

fishkiller
10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
8)them little sand crabs taste little morsles 8)

just_hooked
10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
The best way to use clams is to freeze them for a couple of days, then take them out of the freezer and put boiling water on them. this will open them up and allow you to pop out ALL of the meat. I use a strainer to get most of the water out, then I put them in a container and mix in some table salt and put them in the fridge. If you let them set for a week in the fridge before using them they will toughin up real nice. you can put them on a hook without them falling off. I have caught a few sturgeon with them but no keepers yet. ( alot of catfish though ).

ghostfish_slayer
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
do they rut them up like a pig then gulp them down hole?if so they might not be interested in a shell less clam.

sturgeon_general
10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
I'M NOT A DFG BIOLOGIST OR A ROCKET SCIENTIST,FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD,THE STURGEON AREN'T INGESTING OR CONSUMING THESE FRESHWATER MOLLUSKS AS A FOOD SOURCE OR FOR NUTRITION.THE MOLLUSKS(BABY SIZE) AIDE THE STURGEON IN DIGESTING THE FOOD SOURCES THAT THEY HAVE ALREADY CONSUMED BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A INTESTINAL TRACT THEY HAVE GIZZARDS, LIKE DOVES USE BABY ROCKS, STURGEON USE BABY...... I WANT TO SAY CLAMS,BUT THE OLD SALTS KEEP TELLING ME,FRESHWATER MOLLUSKS.SO YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME USING SALTED CLAMS,SHELLED CLAMS,OCEAN CLAMS,AS A BAIT,I KNOW I'VE TRIED IT COUNTLESS TIMES IN LANTERN MANTLES,GAUZE BANDAGE WRAPPINGS WITH THE SAME RESULT,NOT EVEN A CATFISH BITE!!!!!STURGEON GENERAL.

fishkiller
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
8)Sturgeon Genreal I think yer onto something there I would agree with that , most of the mollusks found are smallsize of a finger nail or smaller and still alive. 8)

FF_MYRL
10-07-2005, 10:02 PM
If the sturgeon are eating the clams whole, why dont you try a cordless drill. Drill a small hole through the shell, just big enough for the barb of your hook to pass through. Then thread the clams on like a necklace. Most likely will not work, but just a thought.

fishguts
10-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I can recall when I worked at the old Bills bait shop in Martinez many years ago, that some of the ole' fisherman such as the late Jonny Silvera who used to run the Noblis party boat, telling me that clams just don't work even though they are usually full of them. I've never tried them myself.

SturgeonVirgin
10-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I'M NOT A DFG BIOLOGIST OR A ROCKET SCIENTIST,FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD,THE STURGEON AREN'T INGESTING OR CONSUMING THESE FRESHWATER MOLLUSKS AS A FOOD SOURCE OR FOR NUTRITION.THE MOLLUSKS(BABY SIZE) AIDE THE STURGEON IN DIGESTING THE FOOD SOURCES THAT THEY HAVE ALREADY CONSUMED BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A INTESTINAL TRACT THEY HAVE GIZZARDS, LIKE DOVES USE BABY ROCKS, STURGEON USE BABY...... I WANT TO SAY CLAMS,BUT THE OLD SALTS KEEP TELLING ME,FRESHWATER MOLLUSKS.SO YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME USING SALTED CLAMS,SHELLED CLAMS,OCEAN CLAMS,AS A BAIT,I KNOW I'VE TRIED IT COUNTLESS TIMES IN LANTERN MANTLES,GAUZE BANDAGE WRAPPINGS WITH THE SAME RESULT,NOT EVEN A CATFISH BITE!!!!!STURGEON GENERAL.

My work takes me to UC Davis where there are a number of studies that have been done on sturgeon on the delta and bays. Clams are the #1 food by a huge margin; somewhere around 80% of the total food intake for a sturgeon is clams.

sturgeon_general
10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
MR.T THAT IS SOME VERY GOOD STATISICAL INFORMATION TO KNOW.MAYBE THE FISH WEREN'T BITING THE TIMES I TRIED IT.I'LL HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY AGAIN.STURGEON GENERAL

Hog
10-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Catfisherman have used clams for bait in the Delta for years. I think if clams were the secret sturgeon bait it would have been discovered by now, but give it a try. The sturgeon swimming by your clams will be the one eating my roe/pile combo. ;)

SturgeonVirgin
10-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Catfisherman have used clams for bait in the Delta for years. I think if clams were the secret sturgeon bait it would have been discovered by now, but give it a try. *The sturgeon swimming by your clams will be the one eating my roe/pile combo. ;)

I'm only saying what the eggsheads report; I know I've tried it quite a bit in the past with less than stellar results. To me thats the weird thing. I have talked with quite a few long time sturgeon hunters, and they often mention looking for clam beds as a way to locate sturgeon. Ask them if they ever use clams as bait; nope. wonder why that is... ???

Diego916
10-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Ask them if they ever use clams as bait; nope. wonder why that is... *???

I guess everything else REALLY IS dessert!

IMO, clams are a waste of time. The only freight train I've ever hooked up with was off worms. Plain old night crawlers. Lots of cats and bites on clams, but no sturgies.

Just my 9 years of fishing the delta experience.

Maybe Jim D. will chip in?

dbass
10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
If you look at the nutritional value of a clam, they have 2, protien and calcium, sturgeon need and use alot of both.

fishguts
10-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Maybe if you sented the clams with the sturgeon cocktail sent it would work. Just a thought.