PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Roe

Fishbutt21
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
What is the recommended technique to cure salmon roe to use as sturgeon bait? Any ideas?

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Dont cure it

Take each skein and cut in 2. Bag 4 pieces in a sandwhich bag each piece seperate. Freeze till needed

krzyfshrmn
09-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Not that I've made a killing catching fish with it, but I'm to the point where I don't even rinse it under tap water. Hate to get it tainted with chlorine. I just cut it in bait sized chunks, fill up the old sour cream container, and push the lid down tight on top of the eggs to get the air out. Done deal....now put it in the freezer and use as soon as possible.

smithstation
09-30-2005, 08:33 AM
I asume you use cheese cloth or something like it with magic thread and go around the hook? ???

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Yupp, golf ball size ;)

smithstation
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks,
* * * * I have about 30 pounds of roe that I brought back from Alaska a few years ago. It was vaccuum sealed and then flash frozen. I assume it should still be good? I brought it back for salmon fishing but as you can see I have not done much of that. Should be good for the dinos if I ever get out.

mike22ca
09-30-2005, 08:53 AM
I have TONS of it myself ;). I take it straight outta the fish (the bloodier the better) and stick it in a ziplock till I get home. When I get home I put it right into a vaccuum bag and seal'r right up and walahhh...take it out when I plan to use it.

dbass
09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Isn't true that they also use plain salt not iodized to cure it.

sunracer1957
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Smith
This is the first year I used Roe and I just put it on the hook without the cloth, it stayed on real well and it stayed on for a good while,, I never thought it would work that way but it worked fine..

Mr_T is the master at Roe maybe he can fill you in.

SturgeonVirgin
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I do cure Roe, but only to get some moisture out of it before it gets frozen, my finding is that the ice crystals will puncture the egg membrane when it freezes otherwise.

I use NON-iodized salt, kosher or rock salt all are the same, and some sugar. About 2 parts salt to one part sugar, in a ziploc for about 2 hours on ice, then lay it out for a couple hours to dry and then bag it and freeze. Vac packing works good for this as well.

smithstation
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks, I will give it the Mr.T method and see what happens. I did do some with the pro cure but I never used it. It is still in the freezer. Thanks again! :)

SturgeonVirgin
09-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks, I will give it the Mr.T method and see what happens. I did do some with the pro cure but I never used it. It is still in the freezer. Thanks again! :)

Forget usng the pro-cure stuff for sturgeon; they hate the sodium sulfite that is in that cure. (Speaking from experience here trust me!) Fine for salmon and even steelies, but nada luck for the dinos.

fishkiller
09-30-2005, 07:28 PM
8) Smith look back a couple of pages on this board this topic was covered by alot of us and many ways were offered up check it out. always good info. 8)

Lucky_Strike__Rich
09-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Dam good reading. I do none of the above and I have been using Roe for 5 years. FishKiller: Next Sat tides suck so how about the following Sat???? for you and the winner?/ Let me know. You both will get the deluxe shot ok Rich PS stop running over your next-Tels they are expensive HA!

Fishbutt21
10-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the great info on roe ;D
now back to Bodega for more fresh salmon and hopfully more roe ;)

sam-man
10-01-2005, 10:57 PM
can any one tell me how long everyone been using roe for bait ?

jon_may
10-06-2005, 12:04 PM
not long enough, :-/

mjonesjr
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
can any one tell me how long everyone been using roe for bait ?

It was first introduced to me as a bait for sturgeon about 7yrs ago, though I really started to have sucess about 5yrs ago as I wasn't using it alot when I started.

Now I'm just really interested in using freshwater clams and see how well that works.

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

sneak1000
10-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Anyone using Roe out in the bay? or any combo with Roe?

krzyfshrmn
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't think combos can ever hurt anything. Pile and roe, pile and ghost, roe and eel, the combinations are endless.

NorCal_Bangers
10-06-2005, 03:22 PM
agreed...sturg caught last night on combo roe, ghost.

although i do disagree with some posts i feel the overall picture is still the same......

my 2 cent rules on roe.......

1. river run is better than ocean roe. but the both work...last nights keeper was on ocean (alaskan)

2. the fresher the better.....dont freeze to long...max life for ME is 6 months

3. bleed the fish u harvest the roe from RIGHT AWAY...NO BLOOD in the roe....it spoils the roe.

4. dont use any thing other than salt or i have heard the pinch of sugar.

5. keep them in the skeen.....u can use it as the cheeze cloth and it will keep it together longer.

works for me give it a try.....

NCB

levelwined
10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I also agree with the comb bait. I use row from Sept through March while the salmon are in the rivers. I think that is when row is the most common feed for sturg. I also usualy always add a soft bait to cover the tip of my hook with ie, grass shrimp or pile worm when useing row. Just my 2 cents

smithstation
10-07-2005, 08:18 AM
How well does the roe stay on the hook in a strong tide? ???
* sunracer, was yours cured the Mr.T way or just natural and frozen?

GO TO PAGE 9 ON THE STURGEON BOARD. GREAT ROE POSTS!

Thanks everyone!! ;D