PDA

View Full Version : Question for those using Mono Leaders

innovate
09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Alright lets have it guys. For those of you that use Mono Leaders, what's your take. 60/80lb, knots/crimps?

After busting two leaders on big fish at the derby I'm looking to go back to 30lb test and 80lb leader.

I was using 25lb mono for my main and 60lb leader. I know, some of you probably think I'm crazy, but I like light tackle - but after losing the second fish on Saturday afternoon at the net, I'm definitely gonna go heavier.

later,
Roland

dimpala95
09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
My setup right now is #30 main line with #60 vinyl coated cable for the leader. I use the cab;e only because it resists abrasion, especially when the sturgy roles. I will say that the only reason I'm using #30 is because I'm using up my old line. I will switch over to #20.

donzitroller
09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Not that it matters, cuz I didn't catch any fish this past weekend ( >:(), but I am running 65# braid with 100# P-Line mono, crimped.

SturgeonVirgin
09-26-2005, 09:54 PM
After the columbia trip, switched over to braided nylon leader: guide used 400# test, I use 72#. Stuff is great, soft as all heck, knots really well, does not break, even after it starts to fray a bit. Like it quite a bit.

PlugROCKSTAR
09-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Roland, switch over to Tuff Line XP if you can find it here in California. Guarantee you wont lose fish the way you did not unless, your stupid enough like 916steelhead and use a split rings :o :o ;D

or you can go 30lbs mono Maxima Chameleon or Yo-Zuri Hybrid with a 80lbs Power Pro leader.

fishkiller
09-27-2005, 05:40 AM
8)Inno try using braided line and 100lb mono leaders crimped think you will like zero stretch instant hook set and the power to pull and keep the oversize, the 100lb mono will be the week point newtothegame caught a fish last week aboard the boat and the 100lb mono broke in the net. 8)

fishermen_chris
09-27-2005, 06:16 AM
I have 30# braid and use my own leaders, 60 guage wire. I haven't had one break yet ;D

innovate
09-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be switching over to 30lb braid for the bank and 30lb mono for the boat.

100lb test mono for my leaders.

fishermen_chris: I should have taken your advice and used some of your leaders - I wouldn't have broken off if I did.

later,
Roland

fishermen_chris
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
;D ;)

fishrman4life
09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Its cool though man, live and learn right? :) ;)

innovate
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Live and learn yes, but if you remember your first fish was caught on one of my leaders. Mr. Know-it-all-after-one-trip :P

Roland

fishkiller
09-27-2005, 05:17 PM
8)I posted about an adrenaline rush guess he has not come down yet, still trippin and seeing tails waggin in the water. Hes gonna have it bad Inno better keep an eye on himm. 8) ;D

phishinpat
09-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I personally use 80lb test SoftSteel mono.
Only one brake off, due to my own error of knicking the leader when cutting the short/loop end. And proceeding to use that same leader instead of retying. Other than that, it's great stuff and holds the knots pretty well. It's very flexible compared to other mono brands.

fishrman4life
09-27-2005, 05:25 PM
8)I posted about an adrenaline rush guess he has not come down yet, still trippin and seeing tails waggin in the water. Hes gonna have it bad Inno better keep an eye on himm. 8) ;D

Hey hey hey, in fairness to me, I wasnt drinking at all over the weekend, so I remember everything that happened. Those memories are gonna stick with me and so are the way points from my DFG trip comin' up. ;D ;D ;)

innovate
09-27-2005, 05:38 PM
phishnpat,

I was using Ande @ 80lb test for the longest time, and when I ran out of the stuff, I decided to go light @ 60lb test. I'll look around for the stuff you mentioned.

fishkiller,

LOL. Don't worry man, I got fishrman4aSEC i mean LIFE in check. ;) No doubt about it. *;D ;D ;D

fishrman4life,

Yo Eddie, I'm sure you didnt forget at all. Also dont forget I lent you my doggone sleeping bag when you were freezin' your butt off Sunday morning either.

Tossin 'round the pigskin once again...

Roland

fishrman4life
09-27-2005, 05:57 PM
You will NEVER have me in check. ;D ;D You'd have to take me fishing next weekend for that to happen. :P I emailed marty to see if I could take you and my dad on the DFG trip, if I can, I expect you up and adam at 4 am. We'll be taking the Explorer to Vallejo to launch cuz neither of your trucks can hold 3 people. :P :P

newtothegame
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey inno ... Fishkiller is right .. I did break a 100lb mono leader a few wks ago right at the net .. it finally gave after a few rolls of the sturgeon ... i was worried my line was going to snap when the fish rolled a few times closer to the boat ... i am currently using 30lb p-line mono ...but also have one reel fixed up with 65# braid .. will be using that here shortly ... i liked the feel of killers set up had the pleasure of hookin a fish with it in the derby but it was a bit small ... but hes right ..instant hook set ...no stretch .. much different feel than the mono ...

anyways ...nice job at the derby! cya around!