PDA

View Full Version : Done with the Sturgeon Sniffers

DinoBlaster
09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I guess I have mixed feelings or something. I entered the Sturgeon Feast this weekend mostly to meet all the guys that talk on this board, hoping to meet new people and talk Sturgeon Fishing with them in person. I even wished everbody good luck and a safe time. On Saturday afternoon my boat overheated over at the Mothball Fleet. I was pretty much screwed. I put out a call to any Sniffers on the VHF that might give me a hand. Major Silence, I guess you really need to know you guys first before asking for help? Yea I know, not everbody doesn't have a radio, Luckly for me I was able to get in to the harbor under idle. It only took me 5 hours to do it.
FishKiller, Thanks for the advice you gave me it was invaluable and it worked! My dad and brother could'nt understand that nobody was able to give me a quick tow. I've done it for many people, whiched ruined my day of fishing, and all I got was a thankyou. When we got back to the Dock it was a zoo there and the Bathrooms locked! That sealed the deal for me. I'm sorry if this is long I guess I just needed to get this off my chest.
Did'nt have a very good time,
The DinoBlaster NO MORE

SturgeonVirgin
09-26-2005, 05:17 AM
I guess I have mixed feelings or something. I entered the *Sturgeon Feast this weekend mostly to meet all the guys that talk on this board, hoping to meet new people and talk Sturgeon Fishing with them in person. I even wished everbody good luck and a safe time. On Saturday afternoon my boat overheated over at the Mothball Fleet. I was pretty much screwed. I put out a call to any Sniffers on the VHF that might give me a hand. Major Silence, I guess you really need to know you guys first before asking for help? Yea I know, not everbody doesn't have a radio, Luckly for me I was able to get in to the harbor under idle. It only took me 5 hours to do it.
*FishKiller, Thanks for the advice you gave me it was invaluable and it worked! My dad and brother could'nt understand that *nobody was able to give me a quick tow. I've done it for many people, whiched ruined my day of fishing, and all I got was a thankyou. When we got back to the Dock it was a zoo there and the Bathrooms locked! That sealed the deal for me. I'm sorry if this is long I guess I just needed to get this off my chest.
* * Did'nt have a very good time,
* * * * * * * * * * * * The DinoBlaster NO MORE

Dion BLaster,

Sorry to hear about the boat trouble. As far as not hearing back from anyone, VHF is line of sight; I dunno how much range you have, but over at the mothball fleet is pretty far from chain and pittsburg where I spent my weekend.

Re; "needing to know people before asking for help", if you think that is the case you got it wrong. On the water if someone is down and I get a call for help, then I help. I am sure just about anyone in the derby would do the same. It does not matter if I know you or not boat trouble can be dangerous; derby or not, anyone you were able to hail on the radio should have lended a hand. Also, not to bust you up, but who were you fishing with? Did you have a partner in the derby or someone you could get in touch with? I always have at least one backup plan in case of trouble.

Again sorry about the boat, dunno if the sniffers are the ones to blame here.

Hogsbro
09-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Sorry for the breakdown and that feel the way you do. I too was out Sat., and certainly would have given you a hand had I heard the call. That being said the only person you have to blame is yourself. Every boat owner should have a backup plan in case somthing like this happens. It is really cheap to join US boat or some other company that has towing services. Blaming other Sniffers for your lack of planning is just wrong. Again had I heard your call I would have been there.

highasakite
09-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Dinoblaster,

I do not think your post is vary fair to the sniffers out there. I have helped and been helped out whenever needed. I to was in Pittsburg and never heard your call on the radio.

If it were me I would been very very pleased and thankful that I could make it back on my own power in my own boat no matter how long it took. I was stuck in Bigcut last year and had to wait over 2 hours for the tow and when we finally did get picked up we moved no quicker then 5 MPH all the way back in. There was nothing more frustrating then being dead in the water.

Just my 2 cents
Jon

dimpala95
09-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Dinoblaster, you're blaming the wrong people. Boaters in general are usually very helpful to those in distress. As a matter of fact maritime law requires you to assist a vessel in distress.
Your situation would not qualify as a "distressed" one. You still had power and still could make headway, albeit at trolling speed and you were not in danger of sinking. Hell, if you would have been towed, that's how fast you would have been going anyway. No life was at risk in your situation. I know it sucks to hear all this but I think your frustration is directed to the wrong people.

krzyfshrmn
09-26-2005, 07:53 AM
I for one did'nt hear anything on the radio either :-/ :-/

sunracer1957
09-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Dino I'm really sorry I didn't know you needed assistance, I was on CH 68 for most of the Derby, I hope everything came out ok and if I would have known you needed help would have been there for sure,, I wouldn't take it out on the Sniffers though these are great guys and I know they would have helped if they would have known,, sounds like you were in touch with someone though and I don't think you were dead in the water, like some of the other guys said a back up plan is a good thing and maybe your plan was to rely on other sniffers so if that was the case we let you down..

Me for one I don't fish down there to often and MR_T and I hung out toghter so if there was any problems we could deal with it,, you know the Buddy Plan.

Just a lesson learned, guys lets all stay in touch durring these events we don't want to lose anyone while on our watch,, again sorry for the non responce and hope you don't hold this against us...

STURGEONSTOMPER
09-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Dino, I too was out there all weekend and on the radio for most of it and never heard a call for assistance. I would have dropped anchor and came to help in a heart beat. I also broke down 100 yards from the ramp and started rowin in ::) I hope you dont stop posting and reading because of this. I dont think anybody here is to blame. Sorry for your troubles and hope you get it fixed soon as sturgeon season is in full swing down there and would love to bump into you down there some time soon.

fishrman4life
09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I didnt hear too much radio traffic at all the whole derby. We heard from fishkiller every once in a while, but for the most part, it was radio silence. We heard some broken transmissions but nothing we could make out. So I dont know how we could have helped you out. Sorry for your trouble man, I really hope that you dont hold this against the wrong people.

DinoBlaster
09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I take full responsibilty for my boat and passengers. I will not blame anybody but myself. I do have backup plans(more than one, being on the Delta) I 'm just blowing off steam, I did try and call more than once after that I take care of my own bussisness. I just did'nt feel like a part of anything out there.More bummed out not being with the guys. My dad got me a little stirred up him being a retired Coast Guard and all,I will get over myself no blame to you guys. I wished we could have stayed in contact better. I was told the official channel was 72..did'nt know there were other channels being monitored. We live and learn,,Guess I'll change me name to Grumpy

SturgeonVirgin
09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I monitored 72 most of the weekend, trying to hear/get some chatter and updates. I heard almost nothing all weekend. Guess a lot of folks had their game faces on, no one seemed to be talkin much at all..

FortheKids
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Blaster sorry to hear about your boat, hopefully the repair expense wont be to high and you can get back out there catchin Dinos. I have only just met many of the sturgy sniffers, but I dont think they ignore you, I saw savvy group of anglers, who are experienced on the water.

CHICKFISHING58
09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Blaster,
When Killer gave you that info I was right there when he called you again you said you were only 5 min away after the derby I was trying to fine you to see if everything was ok but I got you mixed up with someone else sorry glad that you made it back donít let this one time stop you from enjoy fishing with the sniffers ;)

Diego916
09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
So, you break down with a couple of dozen other sniffers in the water during a tourney, call for help, and...silence...

That would tick me off, too, but I really don't think many if any heard you or you would have received a hand. In fact, I'm certain of it. Its not like you heard a couple sniffers talking and broke in only to be ignored, right?

Fishing is a blast, but poop happens. Better luck next time. Glad you made it back safe.

fishenrick
09-27-2005, 12:50 PM
You might want to check your radio, most people would have came to help you,if it was not an emergency it might have not been right a way but somebody would have came.

fishenrick