PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon fest questions

SturgeonVirgin
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Couple questions about weigh-ins, and some rules, need some clarification.

Weigh-ins. Once a fish is weighed in, I assume that entry is valid for the derby. Reason is, don't think I really want to keep the fish; if its clearly dying, gonna harvest it, but thinking if its' close to the bait shop, might weigh it in and release it back to the bay. I kinda like catch and release.

What is the penalty for a dead fish?

highasakite
09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I have a question as well. Will there be updates on the radio as to what biggest fish is? If so what channel and how often?

Thanks
Jon

fishrman4life
09-19-2005, 07:43 PM
I also have a question...how do you keep a freaking sturgeon alive on your boat long enough to drive the hour and a half back to the weigh-in spot and then release the dang thing without injuring it? I prefer catch and release in these kinds of situations where I dont know how to cook and prepare a fish like this. Plus between myself and Roland, I would only like to keep one fish and split it (literally) between us.

fishkiller
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
8)once the fish is weighed in it is a valid entry and only one entry per person. The bait shop is 30 yrds from the water.If you are an hour and a half away you are out of bounds or on one slow boat.To keep a sturgy alive you need to get a 1/4 inch thick rope and run the rope thru the gills and tie a bolan knot to secure the fish and tie off to the side of boat.The bolan knot will not come undone unless someone moves the wrap that secures it. look on the internet for the knot and how to tie.Or buy a sturgeon keeper from me 15.00 and that problem is solved. Most guys know how to keep them alive, check with chris.Updates do you want them I dont want anyone to get discouredge because at anytime down here and stomper will back me on this you can catch a 6ft fish within the boundriesat any given moment. I will tell you this I have scouted the entire boundry in the last 5 days there are alot of big fish in the areas of the boundry. As for the penalty for dead fish alot of people dont want them to be eligable to enter. So there will be a penalty for dead fish this is an example you enter a dead fish that is 72 inches and weighs 98 pounds now subtract 72 from 98 and you get 16 your length penalty is 16 inches and your weight penalty is 16 pounds now you have a 56 inch fish and weighs 82 pounds for bringing a dead fish to weigh sturgeon are hearty they will live along time out of water greens will die quickly greens are ok to weigh in to there are alot of them in the system right now my neighbor caught another just over 4ft yesterday .I decided to give out the raffle tickets at the end of the weigh in did not want anyone to get it late in the mail so they will be given out sunday as you arrive.

smithstation
09-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Great ideas killer, you are on top of things. Good job! ;)