PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Gizzards

Marty Gingras
08-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Hello all,

I'm in touch with a long-time sturgeon angler who is seeing more Sacramento-San Joaquin white sturgeon with small gizzards for their size and is concerned. We have only a little pertinent scientific literature, so that is not much help. I'd love to hear what you have seen on gizzard size relative to body size.

Thanks.

Marty Gingras
Senior Biologist Supervisor (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Central Valley Bay Delta Branch
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
email mgingras@delta.dfg.ca.gov

jon_may
08-24-2005, 08:08 AM
where is it and what does it look like? also what is the concern? what might it indicate?

fishkiller
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
8)put up a pic marty. 8)

Marty Gingras
08-25-2005, 03:10 PM
where is it and what does it look like? also what is the concern? what might it indicate?

Hello all,

The gizzard is part of the loop just 'downstream' of the esophagus, where the first part of the loop is the forestomach and the last part of the loop is the gizzard (aka pylroic region of the gastric region of the alimentary canal!).

The gizzard is very muscular and in legal-sized fish usually seems to be about the size of a grapefruit. Evidently rocks and such are not found in the stomach contents, so the gizzard is used to 'physically digest' food by grinding the items together.

I have no images, but will look for some.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Senior Biologist Supervisor (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Central Valley Bay Delta Branch
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
email mgingras@delta.dfg.ca.gov

fishkiller
08-25-2005, 03:56 PM
8)Well I can tell you out of the 40 legal sturgeon I cleaned this year not one was the size of a grapefruit. Tennis or baseball more like it. 8)

mjonesjr
08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I agree with ya on that Killer, largest I've removed from a 5-6ft fish was about the size of average orange.

mjonesjr

Lucky_Strike__Rich
09-20-2005, 06:55 AM
The Gizzard is the mussel that grinds the clams or any other food that is sucked into the Sturgeon mouth. I look at every fish I clean to tell me what the fish is eating and am I in a feeding area. Sometimes the Gizzard has nothing in it and sometimes it is full of Clams. Tells me I am fishing a clam bed. Some Gizzards in the Sturgeon are smaller then I feel they should be in the Pittsburg area. Some are the size of a golf ball. 60 inch Sturgeon usually has a gizzard about the size of a large orange or small grapfruit.I was wondering if they had a small Gizzard, does it affect their groth rate? Is there something wrong with them. I am finding this in a lot of Sturgeon in this area. Not in the lower bay. Rich Lucky Strike