PDA

View Full Version : new sturgie pole

tattooed_angler
09-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Looking to puchase a new pole for stugies. I fished a little last year for em with no luck, but I want to be a little more dilligent about it this year. Any sugestions on rods woul;d be nice. Thanks Joe

FF_MYRL
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I am new to sturgeon fishing also, but I like the uglystick tiger m action rod with a diawa greatlake 47lc reel. This was the first reel that I had with a line counter on it, and I really like it. I feel, I can get my bait back to the same spot the fish are biting in if needed. Or if my father is getting bites at say 80 feet behind the boat and I am at 150 feet behind the boat, I can reel in to where the fish are biting. You would be suprised at how much difference 50 feet makes. This set up also works well in the bay for salmon, sharks, halibut,and ect.

fishkiller
09-04-2005, 08:00 PM
8)that sounds like a great set up. most sturgy guys use ugly stick tigers or custom wrapped, 7 ft is great 30 pound mono or 50 pound braid . I like shimano tld 200 reels or penn310 gti durable long last handles the abuse well. 8)

fishrman4life
09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
yall are pretty close to what i got....penn 320GTI and an ugly stick tiger series M

tattooed_angler
09-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I'll look in to that however though what is the diffrence between a blank as well!?

SturgeonVirgin
09-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I'll look in to that however though what is the diffrence between a blank as well!?

Not sure what you are asking here. The blank is (to me), the most important part of the rod; it sets the stage for all the things you are looking for with respect to action, power, ratings, and durability. Once that is chosen, the way the rod is wrapped is the next big factor on how it works.

I have a couple of Ugly stick Tigers, and they are good for the job. Bit heavy for some, bit light for others, I also like the penn power stick series, Stomper loves his.

tattooed_angler
09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your advice T you pretty much hit the head on the nail, I should of been a little more specific. I dont want a heavy rod but not a light so thats why I'm leaning twards a custom as well. Thanks again joe

levelwined
09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I agree with the ugly stick tigers. I
have two one is the regualer ugley stick tiger and the other is the ugly stick black tiger . I prefer the black Tiger due to it is lighter and more sesitive.
It all comes down to preferances
Just my 2cents

tattooed_angler
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Brian I am just going to have to look at em at the whse. So when the water gets the color of milk choclate were going to have to head down to the hood and pull up one of these monsters. *

mike22ca
09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Dont worry tattoo I'll make you get out for some sturgeon this season lol. I'm collecting roe as we speak for it ;). Levelwind, you know that rod you used when yours broke? I use that one for sturgies a lot. Have landed a ton of them on it hehehe.

Bassassin
09-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I think the 7' Ugly Stick Tiger in medium light (the 12-30lb model) is a nice sturgie rod. Tons of backbone, but still has a nice soft tip. For ~$40 at Wild Sports it's tough to beat.

levelwined
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Dont worry tattoo I'll make you get out for some sturgeon this season lol. *I'm collecting roe as we speak for it ;). *Levelwind, you know that rod you used when yours broke? *I use that one for sturgies a lot. *Have landed a ton of them on it hehehe.

Hopfully I will get to watch you almost pay for useing a guppy pole in sturg tank ;D

tattooed_angler
09-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Brian and Chris soon as the water turns to a brown a## color we will go out and catch one. Just bring the beer and lots of food. I'll bring the lucky dog with us too. :D

tattooed_angler
09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Ohh dont worry Mike I have pleanty of roe too, but hey we dont have to wait for sturgie season to go out in tha boat for some fishing. ;D Just dont get your a$% beat at nimbus fishing for salmon. And Brian dont break any more poles bro :D.