PDA

View Full Version : salmon 4 bait??

striper_assasin
08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
i hope none laughs at me for this but unless you ask youll never know.sturgeon love all sorts of bait.in oregon we used 3-5 pound shad for oversize sturgeon bait.right now in california salmon are starting to run .by oct. november there will be alot of salmon dying and rollin down river by the thousands.sturgeon also are starting to work there way up the rivers at the same time.wouldnt a nice chunk of salmon be good bait that time of the year.ive never heard anyone talk about it or use it,but seems like it would be the ticket.anyone ever tryed it??

Loves-to-Fish
08-26-2005, 10:53 AM
never tried salmon meat, have tried 2-3# shad and caught a few, and i know for a fact uncurred roe ;) and curred roe works great! especially around oct-nov.

I beleive using salmon meat is against the regs though....as mentioned below.

LTF *;D

Bob_Aloo
08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Maybe Salmon would be good bait if it were legal to use.

innovate
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Good bait. Nice penalty for your pocketbook.

donzitroller
08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I know that a lot of people use salmon carcasses in their crab traps on the coast. Is that against the regs? Do different regs apply to the ocean than it does the Delta? I prefer paying exorbitant amounts of CASH for my sturgie bait, so this isn't an issue to me.. :P.. however, a nice ball of salmon guts wrapped up on a hook seems like an appropriate bait. I'm interested to see the replies to follow.

FISH ON!

DinoBlaster
08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I have heard people using Salmon Stomach Linings for Sturgeon bait :P Don't know if its leagal ???

striper_assasin
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
how do you keep the roe on the hook with all that current?
i sure would have liked trying a fat chunk of salmon,seems like thats what there sucking on since there would be so much of it.

mike22ca
08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Thats why so many people like to use roe I think. Plus that crap is so oily/milky/greasy it has to leave a huge sent trail. And a huge mess in the boat if your not careful LOL!

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-26-2005, 08:09 PM
It's ok to use the guts, head/carcass for bait. A salmon small enough to use for bait would be either a silver or a short, both are ilegal.

I use salmon bellies for Halibut bait.

marnilr
08-28-2005, 06:12 PM
My husband (Fishbutt21) has used salmon filets for shark bait. But they were store bought salmon, (farm raised is cheap when it is on sale)... and it is legal because it was purchased but he had to keep the receipt on him to prove that it was not wild caught fish.

JIM_D.
08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I would rather eat the salmon and buy the bait, I love salmon. JIM D.

striper_assasin
08-29-2005, 11:49 AM
good idea marnilr.ill just keep a receipt in my tackle box.lol

fishkiller
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
8)Salmon roe is 1 salmon bellies 2 would not dare fish salmon meat period. 8)

bpfishnon
08-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea to not stink up the cue with the farm but punish the stugeys with having to feed on that stuff. When i was a guide in AK we used salmon for bait all the time, not sure how it works down here but we needed to carry the recept from the monger even if we did not pay cash for it. Bellies injected with cocktail produced butts for me over 250 regularly. They were feeding on the carcasses. Suppossedly a 300 plus was seen on the kenai this year couple miles up from the mouth.

marnilr
08-30-2005, 11:37 PM
good idea marnilr.ill just keep a receipt in my tackle box.lol

Exactly! It just happened to sit in the freezer for X days (X= Date of Game Warden questioning - Date of receipt) ;D

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 11:42 AM
8)Salmon roe is 1 salmon bellies 2 would not dare fish salmon meat period. 8)

personaly i dont eat salmon.is that why you wouldnt dare use the meat,cause you would rather eat it.or cause salmon meat dont work for sturgeon?

striper_assasin
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
fishkiller?

striper_assasin
09-03-2005, 01:08 PM
guess the only way to find out is to try.